C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

56 Powerglide question.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 12:21 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default 56 Powerglide question.......

The last drive I drove my 56 I took it on a cruise of about 100 miles all around, and on the way home I gave it a bit of hell on the highway to clear any carbon out of the old 265, dropping it into passing gear until it shifted by itself at speed. When I got it home it promptly bled to death.....dripping trans blood all over the floor....lots of it.
Q. Is there a seal or gasket that would be suspect as the likely culprit? I was pretty disheartened and haven't climbed under to inspect. What should I be looking for?
BTW.....I had the trans shop take it out and put all new seals and gaskets and adjust it a few years ago. I sure didn't expect to have any problems.

I've been toying with an overdrive 700R or 200R for a while now but just wondered if it might be an easy fix to stop the leak?
thanks.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:42 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon
The last drive I drove my 56 I took it on a cruise of about 100 miles all around, and on the way home I gave it a bit of hell on the highway to clear any carbon out of the old 265, dropping it into passing gear until it shifted by itself at speed. When I got it home it promptly bled to death.....dripping trans blood all over the floor....lots of it.
Q. Is there a seal or gasket that would be suspect as the likely culprit? I was pretty disheartened and haven't climbed under to inspect. What should I be looking for?
BTW.....I had the trans shop take it out and put all new seals and gaskets and adjust it a few years ago. I sure didn't expect to have any problems.

I've been toying with an overdrive 700R or 200R for a while now but just wondered if it might be an easy fix to stop the leak?
thanks.
Only a few leakage points, pan gasket, dip stick o-ring, front seal, rear seal, and if applicable the vacuum modulator.
If it never shifted - vacuum modulator. If it shifted normally but just dumped the blood, I would look at the front seal.
Just a guess until the experts come around.

ron
The following users liked this post:
Kerrmudgeon (09-01-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 08:48 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by R66
Only a few leakage points, pan gasket, dip stick o-ring, front seal, rear seal, and if applicable the vacuum modulator.
If it never shifted - vacuum modulator. If it shifted normally but just dumped the blood, I would look at the front seal.
Just a guess until the experts come around.

ron
If it's like the later mid year glides the speedo cable attaching point can leak.
Kerrmudgeon (09-01-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 10:13 PM
John BX NY
Drifting

Received 337 Likes on 229 Posts

I'd read this. If the torque corverter dumps it's fluid it pukes out all over...

http://www.earlycorvettes.com/corvet...v5n4PGleak.pdf
Old 09-01-2016, 11:10 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

56 and 57 PG do not have pan gaskets or vacuum modulators so no leaks there.

My 57 PG leaks lots of trans fluid when it sits for a month or 2 due to the convertor leaking down.
During the driving season it does not leak a drop.
I have wound it up pretty tight recently and have not experienced any additional leaking.

Sounds like it is time to get under the car.
Kerrmudgeon (09-02-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 11:37 PM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 150 Posts

You may have caused fluid to puke out the vent after you pushed it on the highway. Check and see how low the level is. The torque converter cover has a huge o'ring around the outer ring near the bolts that seals it to the converter body. If trans was rebuilt a few years ago all the seals and o'rings should have been replaced, but they can still leak now though.

This is a cast iron PG isn't it? Spray it off with can of Brake Clean and blow it off if you have air, clean it up best you can, fill it and drive it again. Sometimes it's hard to tell just where the leak is from.
Kerrmudgeon (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 09:39 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,436 Likes on 738 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

also shut the car off in gear
Old 09-02-2016, 10:10 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by csherman
also shut the car off in gear
What is the reasoning behind this? Does it apply to all powerglides?
Old 09-02-2016, 01:12 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Moore
You may have caused fluid to puke out the vent after you pushed it on the highway. Check and see how low the level is. The torque converter cover has a huge o'ring around the outer ring near the bolts that seals it to the converter body. If trans was rebuilt a few years ago all the seals and o'rings should have been replaced, but they can still leak now though.

This is a cast iron PG isn't it? Spray it off with can of Brake Clean and blow it off if you have air, clean it up best you can, fill it and drive it again. Sometimes it's hard to tell just where the leak is from.
Yes on the vent, that is it's job.

Dom
Old 09-02-2016, 04:13 PM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 150 Posts

On a normally trouble free auto transmission there should be no fluid coming out the vent. If fluid does continue to leak from vent it is usually a sign of an internal problem of some sort.

But,,, too much fluid from the start can also cause fluid out the vent when there is nothing wrong internally. Sometimes just 1 qt. overfull can cause it.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:11 PM
domenic tallarita
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Moore
On a normally trouble free auto transmission there should be no fluid coming out the vent. If fluid does continue to leak from vent it is usually a sign of an internal problem of some sort.

But,,, too much fluid from the start can also cause fluid out the vent when there is nothing wrong internally. Sometimes just 1 qt. overfull can cause it.
True and I agree. one other thing is that to low will also cause it to get hot and blow out oil , especially if the clutches start slipping because the hyd pressure gets low and lets them slip. In the day of that transmission, whenever you got gas the hood opened and the attendant checked all the fluids. That's what saved most of us that beat the old mans car to death on Friday knight. Now things are different. In the last year two of my friends 700R4 transmissions threw oil out of the vent when they were pulling small trailers on a hot day. washed them and filled them and all was normal again. Also both had transmission coolers other than the radiator cooler.

Dom

Get notified of new replies

To 56 Powerglide question.......

Quick Reply: 56 Powerglide question.......