C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

braking power

Old 09-01-2016, 01:27 PM
old68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default braking power

if I go to a dual master cylinder from standard on my 65 327 without power brakes, should I expect an upgrade in braking power? I really need to stand on the brakes now to get it to stop, worry about my wife panic braking
Old 09-01-2016, 01:48 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Assuming the same bore diameter, no. The GM spec for a 1g stop on the then new disk brake system without power assist was 120 pounds of pedal force. I guess that was okay back in the day when power brakes weren't universal, but it would be totally unacceptable on a modern car.

I suggest you get a vacuum booster, and in the process rebuild or replace the m/c as required. And if you flush the brake fluid every two to five years you won't have to worry about brake failure. It's old, contaminated fluid corroding the system internally that leads to brake failure.

Duke

Last edited by SWCDuke; 09-01-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Duke is spot on !

And if you choose to install a power booster....I would highly advise getting a booster that is like what was offered....when it was an option. I either seem to be unlucky or have cars that have the smaller diameter booster fail and have to deal with them...versus having a brake booster that are like what GM designed.

If you REALLY want to stop...install a Hydroboost system.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To braking power

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: braking power