C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] newly installed headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 07:17 PM
nasteve
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default newly installed headlights

Just installed the headlights on a 66. They close perfectly but pop the breaker when I try to open them. Any ideas what could be wrong. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:31 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

The headlight rollover switch has 12v on the center contact and puts it on one wire for up and the other for down. The yellow wire could be shorted to ground at the switch or anywhere up to the headlight motor. You could have a shorted winding in the yellow up section of one of the motors. I don't think binding would cause a breaker to kick. I'd check for short first. If you disconnect the connector on both sides to the headlight motors and measure on the yellow wire to ground, it should read open. With the connector on, it will read a very low ohms anyway through the motor winding. You also push the switch up and down with the connectors loose. If it doesn't pop the breaker when you push it to up, the problem will be after the connectors at the motors. You can reconnect one at a time and see which one is causing the problem.
The following users liked this post:
nasteve (09-04-2016)

Quick Reply: [C2] newly installed headlights