C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Leaking carb

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 12:03 PM
Joemac8
Drifting

Received 2,264 Likes on 437 Posts

Default Leaking carb

I have had my 67. 327/350 in storage for four years. After new gas and a new battery it started. Yesterday I cleaned it and today took it to a car show in town. While cleaning the air cleaner, I noticed gas on the intake manifold. Obviously I have a leak from my Holley carburetor.

Any ideas what to look for while I'm just sitting here??
Old 09-03-2016, 12:12 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

tighten up the 4 screws holding the fuel bowls to the main body. Could also be leaking from the accelerator pump on the front bowl, or the crossover tube o-rings on the driver side.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:13 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Joemac8
I have had my 67. 327/350 in storage for four years. After new gas and a new battery it started. Yesterday I cleaned it and today took it to a car show in town. While cleaning the air cleaner, I noticed gas on the intake manifold. Obviously I have a leak from my Holley carburetor.

Take a screwdriver and tighten the 4 primary and 4 secondary fuel bowl screws. I need to do this frequently on my own car.

If accelerator pump gasket is weeping/leaking you will need to remove the carb to tighten these small screws up.

Then run the engine with the air filter removed and look over the rest of the carb.

Larry
The following users liked this post:
Joemac8 (09-04-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 12:20 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Powershift
Take a screwdriver and tighten the 4 primary and 4 secondary fuel bowl screws. I need to do this frequently on my own car.

If accelerator pump gasket is weeping/leaking you will need to remove the carb to tighten these small screws up.

Then run the engine with the air filter removed and look over the rest of the carb.

Larry
Good advise but, just wanted to add that over-tightening those screws can be detrimental so, go easy on them.

Gary
Old 09-03-2016, 01:09 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
Good advise but, just wanted to add that over-tightening those screws can be detrimental so, go easy on them.

Gary
I use no wrench, just a screwdriver hand tight and snug them up. Once done for the summer, all is good. But once the cooler fall and winter temps arrive, I need to do it again..........maybe a couple of times each winter.

Forgot one time, and drove down the street with a small gas stream (no drip ) running down the passenger side of the block. Not good. Haven't forgotten since. Now if the cars has been sitting a month or so I check the engine and concrete before getting on the street.

Larry
Old 09-03-2016, 02:09 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

The seals should swell and seal better after they are wet with gas. If you have fuel coming out of any of the throttle shafts then you have a stuck needle valve/float problem.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:02 PM
firemist1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Leaking Fuel

Look at the steel plugs on the top of the primary and secondary fuel bowls right above the needle valves. The aluminum bowl housing is crimped around these plugs and corrosion can be present to lose the seal. Both of my bowls developed leaks there and I replaced the bowls. With the engine off, those areas should be dry. If the engine is running, the leak should be obvious. Of course, other internal problems can cause fuel to drain from the bowls onto the throttle body and out the throttle shafts. Good luck. Hope it is nothing serious.
Joemac8 (09-04-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 06:26 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I don't want to scare you, but you better have a fire extinguisher in the car. It may well be time to replace all the rubber gas line up front and the section at the tank feed. Dennis

Last edited by Bluestripe67; 09-03-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Joemac8 (09-04-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 09:11 PM
Dano1965
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If it turns out to be leaking from between the fuel bowls and main body, try the blue gaskets. They're not correct but do a better job of sealing. As an added bonus, they're reusable. They don't tear apart when you pull a bowl off.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:57 PM
Joemac8
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dano1965
If it turns out to be leaking from between the fuel bowls and main body, try the blue gaskets. They're not correct but do a better job of sealing. As an added bonus, they're reusable. They don't tear apart when you pull a bowl off.
It appeared that the leaking was from the front fuel bowls. That is a guess since that is where the majority of the leaked fuel was. The screws were snug but not tight. I tightened them just a bit.

I did this in my garage and was alone so I didn't start the car up since I have no one there with a fire extinguisher to keep a look out.

I will be back up there in two weeks and I'll bring a pair of the bvlue gaskets just to be on the safe side. I'll get a watcher with a fire extinguisher and crank it up.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:15 PM
Powershift
Race Director

It appeared that the leaking was from the front fuel bowls. That is a guess since that is where the majority of the leaked fuel was. The screws were snug but not tight. I tightened them just a bit.

I did this in my garage and was alone so I didn't start the car up since I have no one there with a fire extinguisher to keep a look out.

I will be back up there in two weeks and I'll bring a pair of the bvlue gaskets just to be on the safe side. I'll get a watcher with a fire extinguisher and crank it up.
I think you are a bit paranoid with needing the fire extinguisher, but having a "watcher" is a good idea if the car sits a long time and is a bit rough on restart. That way you can remain in the car and control the RPM better, etc.

As for a fire extinguisher, I recommend something like a CO2 or Halon Unit versus the typical dry chemical. WAY LESS MESS AND CLEANUP if you have to use it. That is why I keep only these in my garage.

If the car could backfire, start it with the air cleaner on, and then remove the air cleaner to check for and find any small leaks.

FWIW.

Larry

EDIT: What area of Chicago do you live?? I grew up on the South Side.................although it is a bit "rough" living there now. Still have family in the area though.

Last edited by Powershift; 09-04-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:52 PM
Joemac8
Drifting

Originally Posted by Powershift
I think you are a bit paranoid with needing the fire extinguisher, but having a "watcher" is a good idea if the car sits a long time and is a bit rough on restart. That way you can remain in the car and control the RPM better, etc.

As for a fire extinguisher, I recommend something like a CO2 or Halon Unit versus the typical dry chemical. WAY LESS MESS AND CLEANUP if you have to use it. That is why I keep only these in my garage.

If the car could backfire, start it with the air cleaner on, and then remove the air cleaner to check for and find any small leaks.

FWIW.

Larry

EDIT: What area of Chicago do you live?? I grew up on the South Side.................although it is a bit "rough" living there now. Still have family in the area though.
The car is tough to start. I have to grind it for a while before it catches. This is after setting all night. I'm guessing the fuel leaked out of the bowl and it has to refill before it will run??

I live on the far northwest side of the city. You are right, the South Side is pretty rough now.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking carb

Quick Reply: Leaking carb