C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Valve adjustment cover mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 08:59 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

Thanks for the replies, I vividly remember performing this adjustment with the engine running 40 years ago and the mess until I created my cutout valve covers, and now with my original factory service manual in hand, they mention doing the adjustment with the engine temperature normalized and the engine running.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:37 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdart
Thanks for the replies, I vividly remember performing this adjustment with the engine running 40 years ago and the mess until I created my cutout valve covers, and now with my original factory service manual in hand, they mention doing the adjustment with the engine temperature normalized and the engine running.
That is how we all did it back in the day. But there are better ways....... however that is up to you which method you choose.

Larry
Old 09-20-2016, 01:50 PM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 573 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

I have been using the same clips since 1965.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:14 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdart
And now with my original factory service manual in hand, they mention doing the adjustment with the engine temperature normalized and the engine running.

Well, isn't it ironic.
Most posters on this forum get flamed for not owning/reading the Service Manual or the AIM.

In this case the opposite is true.

I tried the method in the Service Manual. Once, and never again.

Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2016, 10:38 AM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by buns
Well, isn't it ironic.
Most posters on this forum get flamed for not owning/reading the Service Manual or the AIM.

I knew my memories seemed to be vivid! I will test the waters when the valve covers come in and I cut the slot. A friend at work found a stamped chrome set of covers for $23.

Last edited by mjdart; 09-22-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:08 AM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by buns
Well, isn't it ironic.

Well not so fast, it depends on WHICH service manual you are reading.
The 61 Chevy shop manual outlines the procedure with the engine NOT running. Maybe even GM could not decide.

I've done it both ways and achieved excellent results using a feeler gage for solid lifters by rotating the motor as required. I'm done with the messy way for good. In fact years ago we owned some Hondas and I recall the valve adjustment procedure was also by rotating the engine and using a feeler gage.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:33 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm about to do this job this weekend. I had played with adjusting #1 and # 3 cylinder valves because of what I thought was a bad lifter noise. It turned out to be a bad water pump bearing that went on a newly rebuilt pump. So now I have to readjust #1 and #3. I bought a set of old covers off Ebay (this is a 283 with hydraulics) and plan on drilling a 1 1/8" hole over the adjusting nuts and see if I can adjust them that way. If not, then I'll cut that slot shown in the first pic. I did try try adjust them running without any cover...big mistake...
Old 09-23-2016, 10:35 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You'll be less frustrated with the slot vs individual holes IMO.

1) You need to clearly hear the lifter 'clatter' and then snug it to zero lash before adjusting and I think that would be easier with the slot and
2) I think it'll be easier to get the socket on the rocker nut, and, if your socket should slip off the ratchet and drop down on the head - well that would be fun retrieving it...
(Don't laugh - it happens!)

FTF

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 09-23-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:50 AM
Steve59
Drifting

FTF.....points well taken.....
Old 09-23-2016, 12:08 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve59
I'm about to do this job this weekend. I had played with adjusting #1 and # 3 cylinder valves because of what I thought was a bad lifter noise. It turned out to be a bad water pump bearing that went on a newly rebuilt pump. So now I have to readjust #1 and #3. I bought a set of old covers off Ebay (this is a 283 with hydraulics) and plan on drilling a 1 1/8" hole over the adjusting nuts and see if I can adjust them that way. If not, then I'll cut that slot shown in the first pic. I did try try adjust them running without any cover...big mistake...
Why not just follow the procedure in the 61 shop manual which is applicable to your 283 hydraulic lifter engine, no need to make a big mess. Did mine that way with excellent results, never had to touch it again and very quiet.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:16 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You'll be less frustrated with the slot vs individual holes IMO.

1) You need to clearly hear the lifter 'clatter' and then snug it to zero lash before adjusting and I think that would be easier with the slot and
2) I think it'll be easier to get the socket on the rocker nut, and, if your socket should slip off the ratchet and drop down on the head - well that would be fun retrieving it...
(Don't laugh - it happens!)

FTF
At least he would hear the 'clatter'...

Last edited by 66jack; 09-23-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:47 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

I made this one up many years ago and cut it to include bent tabs to deflect the oil from the pushrods. It works pretty well with not much mess.
Verne
Name:  Valve adjustment cover.JPG
Views: 4518
Size:  554.3 KB
The following users liked this post:
ohiovet (09-23-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 11:09 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
Why not just follow the procedure in the 61 shop manual which is applicable to your 283 hydraulic lifter engine, no need to make a big mess. Did mine that way with excellent results, never had to touch it again and very quiet.
Just read the procedure and that too is a possibility. The reason I was going with the "engine running" scenario is because last week when I made the mess, it was quite easy to hear the clatter, adjust to no clatter then set the additional turns. However, right now, I want to redo the adjustments because I'm not sure how many additional turns I've put on those 4 valves. Also, I'm positive I didn't do the additional turns 1/4 at a time waiting 10 seconds between each quarter turn.

Last edited by Steve59; 09-24-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:33 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

I have used the deflectors and holed sawed some stock valve covers. One of the neater things I have seen, but wasn't able to do since I never bought a welder. A fellow racer (oval track) had tabs welded on rocker arm to deflect oil towards ball. It also kept oil under control when doing adjustments.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:34 PM
Steve59
Drifting

After considering the above advice given to me by men that I have received good advice from over the years, I decided to go the drilled hole route, figuring if I screwed up, I could always cut the slot.

Drilled four, inch and a quarter holes, taped up 3 of them, got the engine to temp, swapped out covers and adjusted the valves with a running engine.

Two things I wasn't prepared for, I forgot about the meal shaving accumulating in the cover, so needed to take additional time to clean the cover out. Also, I was swapping the plain metal cover with the 7 fin aluminum job, they take different bolt lengths.

As to the actual adjusting, it's easy to hear the clatter, it's very distinctive. You know when it starts and when it stops, so the 1/4 turns following that are very easy. As to losing the socket, I was using the standard length socket and the socket came right up to the cover's edge. Using a deep socket would negate any fears of losing the socket into the valve cover, but I really don't think you would even need them anyway. I had the opposite problem, the socket got stuck on the nut, I may have been using a slightly "thicker" walled socket so when I went to another socket everything worked fine.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:16 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Steve59
After considering the above advice given to me by men that I have received good advice from over the years, I decided to go the drilled hole route, figuring if I screwed up, I could always cut the slot.

Drilled four, inch and a quarter holes, taped up 3 of them, got the engine to temp, swapped out covers and adjusted the valves with a running engine.

Two things I wasn't prepared for, I forgot about the meal shaving accumulating in the cover, so needed to take additional time to clean the cover out. Also, I was swapping the plain metal cover with the 7 fin aluminum job, they take different bolt lengths.

As to the actual adjusting, it's easy to hear the clatter, it's very distinctive. You know when it starts and when it stops, so the 1/4 turns following that are very easy. As to losing the socket, I was using the standard length socket and the socket came right up to the cover's edge. Using a deep socket would negate any fears of losing the socket into the valve cover, but I really don't think you would even need them anyway. I had the opposite problem, the socket got stuck on the nut, I may have been using a slightly "thicker" walled socket so when I went to another socket everything worked fine.
Well now. You've come up with a great solution for something you might have to do once a decade
Old 09-24-2016, 05:59 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Well now. You've come up with a great solution for something you might have to do once a decade
I have not done any hydraulic lifter adjustments on any of my cars for over 25 years.

But I have done plenty over my lifetime.......but never made a special valve cover.

Larry

Get notified of new replies

To Valve adjustment cover mod

Old 09-25-2016, 11:04 AM
Steve59
Drifting

Can anybody use a valve cover with 4 holes in it? Should buff right out....

just kidding, gonna keep it, probably put it on the wall in the man-cave..
Old 09-25-2016, 10:35 PM
280Z Turbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...make/chevrolet

Less than $20. I wouldn't feel bad about wrecking them.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:51 PM
ohiovet
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

$ 20.00 is not bad but short valve covers would work better.

Quick Reply: Valve adjustment cover mod