C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Moving Muncie trans for countershaft leak

Old 09-19-2016, 08:15 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 549 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have two Muncies that I am rebuilding for customers now.
This is how I had these bushed.
Joe

I asked the machinist to make a 'stepped bushing:

Old 09-19-2016, 08:24 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

why the stepped bushing?

and, be thankful, if you're using the 'goo' method, that you don't have an open bottom bellhousing; it doesn't have a continuous flat surface or cover the whole hole...

BUT. ultra black still sealed it....

Bill
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2016, 12:50 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wmf62
why the stepped bushing? Bill
Bill,
I put the step in the bushing so it can not walk back into the case decreasing the cluster clearance.
Joe
Old 09-20-2016, 12:52 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 775 Likes on 531 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You could have had em cut a groove in it for an o-ring.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:36 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 275 Posts

Like the above but I used a very thin gasket material and plenty of goo. I had always thought the best fix would be remove shaft and turn it down on the end for an"O" ring. Why would that not work.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:19 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
Like the above but I used a very thin gasket material and plenty of goo. I had always thought the best fix would be remove shaft and turn it down on the end for an"O" ring. Why would that not work.
not a good idea from the viewpoint of reduced shaft support in the case in the case... especially if the hole is already oversized

a steel bushing is the best fix.

Bill
Old 09-23-2016, 09:05 PM
66RBS
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Countershaft leak repair

Gents

Thanks to all who responded to give me tips on this repair. Yesterday I jacked up the car and loosened the 6 bolts to slide the transmission back. I made a couple of rookie mistakes but nothing serious. I was able to get the transmission back about 1/2" for access to the countershaft hole. More space was going to require an "up and over" move of the tailshaft over the cross member. I was concerned about alignment. I bought a couple of 1/2"-13 X 3" bolts and put in the lower bellhousing holes to act as guide pins when pushing the transmission back.

Today I cleaned the countershaft hole and used a putty knife to apply the Black Ultra RTV and made a shim stock gasket (Coke can) to prevent the RTV from adhering to the bell housing (Thanks WMF62).

Slapped it all back together and now allowing the RTV to cure. The most difficult part was getting the cross member bolts to line up. I did not want to cross thread the bolt holes.

Thanks to all.

Randy
Old 09-23-2016, 09:16 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 66RBS
Gents

Thanks to all who responded to give me tips on this repair. Yesterday I jacked up the car and loosened the 6 bolts to slide the transmission back. I made a couple of rookie mistakes but nothing serious. I was able to get the transmission back about 1/2" for access to the countershaft hole. More space was going to require an "up and over" move of the tailshaft over the cross member. I was concerned about alignment. I bought a couple of 1/2"-13 X 3" bolts and put in the lower bellhousing holes to act as guide pins when pushing the transmission back.

Today I cleaned the countershaft hole and used a putty knife to apply the Black Ultra RTV and made a shim stock gasket (Coke can) to prevent the RTV from adhering to the bell housing (Thanks WMF62).

Slapped it all back together and now allowing the RTV to cure. The most difficult part was getting the cross member bolts to line up. I did not want to cross thread the bolt holes.

Thanks to all.

Randy
Randy

congratulations,,,

Bill
Old 09-24-2016, 07:49 AM
plaidside
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy
You could have had em cut a groove in it for an o-ring.
My machinist wanted to do this also but it is "working on the symptom and not the cause"
The case hole will still be worn and will only get worse.
Joed
Old 09-28-2017, 09:20 AM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by 66RBS
Gents

Thanks to all.

Randy
How many runs, drips, or errors have you had since last year ?
Old 09-28-2017, 10:27 AM
66RBS
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by solidaxel
How many runs, drips, or errors have you had since last year ?
Wow can’t believe it has been a year

No runs drips or errors. I suspect the secret is to let the RTV set up for 24 hours after the repair

Randy
The following users liked this post:
solidaxel (09-28-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [C2] Moving Muncie trans for countershaft leak