C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Midyears for sale but first need to find appraiser

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 05:05 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Midyears for sale but first need to find appraiser

It's time to sell the Kid's collection. I live in South Jersey and would appreciate being contacted by a credentialed appraiser. By that I mean others in the hobby would recognize the individual as reputable with proven integrity.

At this point, I'll just say I have a '65 sb roadster and a '66 original bb coupe.

Thanks much.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:34 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

Tough one, there are a couple of well known inspectors, but Appraisers I don't know. You might do better to ask locally. I don't know if I would trust what anyone told me a car is worth, unless they were buying it.

Tom M
Old 09-19-2016, 05:57 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

South Jersey I would call Contis.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:07 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
South Jersey I would call Contis.

Thanks very much for the prompt responses. I thought I'd give this a try and see what happens. I realize there are price guides out there also.

I'll let this age for a while as I'm in no real rush to sell.

Life is a wheel...a few years ago I evaluated locals cars for interested left coast buyers. Of course, MY cars are a completely different breed
Old 09-19-2016, 10:09 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

Be sure to find a Corvette experienced expert/inspector. There's LOTS of "credentialed appraisers" that wouldn't know if a '63 had a '67 nose on it.

I'll move this to the General discussion area until you are ready to list the cars for sale with prices... Start a new thread in FS then.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:20 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

47k and 88k.

I am an internet certified armchair corvette appraiser. I charge no fees, but if I'm on the money when you sell, please respond with a emoticon.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:03 AM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
Be sure to find a Corvette experienced expert/inspector. There's LOTS of "credentialed appraisers" that wouldn't know if a '63 had a '67 nose on it.

I'll move this to the General discussion area until you are ready to list the cars for sale with prices... Start a new thread in FS then.
Thanks for paying attention to this post. I neglected to mention my recent experience with Conti's. Surprisingly, it's been a bit uneven. I like the new emphasis, like advertising on the radio. I met others at the Ocean City show this past weekend who experienced the same.

Hopefully, Marty is just experiencing some growing pains.

I wish him well.

Along the same lines, I would appreciate any feedback about the sale of my parts along with the cars. While it may be modest by some local collections I know of, I have a few interesting items. For example, I have a complete '64 FI Unit, down to the correct two part distributor. Unfortunately the dog house was powder coated but everything else is perfect.

I have a decent amount of # match components for the cars, such as the block, intake, heads, exhaust for the 427. A really bad engine builder in Mount Holley screwed me and the block has to be sleeved. The car now has a zz440 454 with TriPower. I also have a mint hardtop for the roadster in storage.

Anyway, rather than placing an ad here, in Driveline, etc and selling the stuff piecemeal, I was thinking of selling what I can at Carlisle 2017 and using the rest for boat anchors. I'm not saying I don't appreciate the Forum, just don't want to do this stuff one at a time if possible.

Your opinions are appreciated.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:08 AM
morly1963
Melting Slicks

Received 631 Likes on 419 Posts

I dont know if calling Conti is the best move to get a price. Maybe once you get a price then I would call dealers.

I live in South Jersey and deal with a good guy pm me if ur interested.
Good luck.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:29 AM
AkrHack
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Kid_Again
rather than placing an ad here, in Driveline, etc and selling the stuff piecemeal, I was thinking of selling what I can at Carlisle 2017 and using the rest for boat anchors. I'm not saying I don't appreciate the Forum, just don't want to do this stuff one at a time if possible.

Your opinions are appreciated.
Setting up as a vendor at Carlisle is a good strategy. It sounds like you have some desirable used parts. These will sell well at Carlisle. Then what still doesn't sell by midway through the last day of the show can be sold in one lot to one of the large corvette parts dealers. While the price you get from these dealers will be dimes on the dollar, at least you will have the feeling of freedom of driving home with an empty truck.

Last edited by AkrHack; 09-20-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:16 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I like the idea of vending one time, or even ebay. The market will tell you the true value of your cars and stuff. What it will bring 'today'. No need for appraisal. Good luck with the sale.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:39 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Why be different? Start unreasonably high and let yourself be talked down. It's the rule it seems, and as you drop the price you'll find out when the serious calls start.

Im guessing you already know about what they're worth, and appraisals tend to be rubbish.

Get notified of new replies

To Midyears for sale but first need to find appraiser

Quick Reply: Midyears for sale but first need to find appraiser