C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Installed Procar Rally seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 08:39 AM
Tiros
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Very nice. They come in colors too.

I am 6'2" and in my 65 the seat must be pushed all the way back. The original seat is quite straight up in the back and gets uncomfortable on longer drives. These look lightly reclined. Can anyone comment if there is loss of leg room?
Old 09-27-2016, 10:40 AM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by oldpainter
Looks comfortable ....like your steering wheel.
, I was thinking the same thing !

please, tell me more about your steering wheel ......
Old 09-27-2016, 12:00 PM
DWD66VETTE
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikado463
, I was thinking the same thing !

please, tell me more about your steering wheel ......
I got it around Jan of 2015 from forum member Sky65. I can't tell you much about it. It's 14" Dia. and a 2 1/2" depth.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:35 PM
oldpainter
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts

I was looking on Procar web site, on this rainy day, and noticed they have a new wider seat, Rally 80-1000-51-DLX . This might be great for bigger drivers...also for you members that already have these seats, does the seat back go forward enough to access rear compartment on a convertible? Especially with top up. Been trying to make up my mind on these seats.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:42 PM
bcwaller
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

They should be fine. I can only speak for 2 door cars with a back seat. They worked well enough for people to access the back seat in a 1970 Camaro, and my Procar Elites in the 1967 Chevelle too.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:57 AM
DWD66VETTE
Instructor

Originally Posted by oldpainter
I was looking on Procar web site, on this rainy day, and noticed they have a new wider seat, Rally 80-1000-51-DLX . This might be great for bigger drivers...also for you members that already have these seats, does the seat back go forward enough to access rear compartment on a convertible? Especially with top up. Been trying to make up my mind on these seats.
Yes. they do recline forward to allow access.
The following users liked this post:
oldpainter (10-05-2016)
Old 02-26-2017, 05:32 PM
candipogo
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Default procar seat install

Originally Posted by DWD66VETTE
I used the ProCar bracket 81172 that mounts to the floor. The only thing I had to do was drill a hole in the top of my existing rear seat strap bracket.
I can go back to my original seats any time I want to. The whole process to switch back is about 20 minutes to do. Just 4 bolts per seat.
I bought a set of procar seats and the same adapter set you used. I am putting mine in my 64 vette. I read where you mounted the rear of the seat base on top of the vette brackets. I assume the rear is the part of the base with the strap going across? this is the only way I can see that mine will fit. is it correct that the bases should be level? I noticed shims in the bolt kit. instructions are very poor. are the shims to help you level the base up if needed? mine seem to be pretty level with out the shims. assuming level is correct. the only other thing I see is that I don't think the 3 hole adjustment on the slider will go in the lowest hole unless you cut the bracket off. I wondered how you did yours. it looks like the bracket might hit the bolt in the rear where it sits on top of the vette bracket. I have some physical issues so I try to set up everything correctly before I get in the car. thank you for any details or tips you can give me.
phil leadford 901 550 1634
Old 02-26-2017, 09:12 PM
DWD66VETTE
Instructor

Originally Posted by candipogo
I bought a set of procar seats and the same adapter set you used. I am putting mine in my 64 vette. I read where you mounted the rear of the seat base on top of the vette brackets. I assume the rear is the part of the base with the strap going across? this is the only way I can see that mine will fit. is it correct that the bases should be level? I noticed shims in the bolt kit. instructions are very poor. are the shims to help you level the base up if needed? mine seem to be pretty level with out the shims. assuming level is correct. the only other thing I see is that I don't think the 3 hole adjustment on the slider will go in the lowest hole unless you cut the bracket off. I wondered how you did yours. it looks like the bracket might hit the bolt in the rear where it sits on top of the vette bracket. I have some physical issues so I try to set up everything correctly before I get in the car. thank you for any details or tips you can give me.
phil leadford 901 550 1634
Yes, you have to cut the bracket off if you want to mount it to lowest position. There were no shims in my kit. Just bolts with heavy duty washers for mounting seat to the bracket. I had to reuse original front seat mounting bolts. I installed new bolts and nuts in the rear after drilling holes in the existing u-bracket for them. The bolt holding the bracket to the seat does get close to the new bolt in the u-bracket so I didn't use a washer under it. If you are using the original size o.d.steering wheel you might have some problems getting in and out of the seat. I'm only 5'-6" tall and have a smaller o.d.steering wheel and it fits me fine.
The following users liked this post:
candipogo (02-27-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 09:39 AM
candipogo
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Default procar seat installation

[QUOTE=DWD66VETTE;1594182014]Yes, you have to cut the bracket off if you want to mount it to lowest position. There were no shims in my kit. Just bolts with heavy duty washers for mounting seat to the bracket. I had to reuse original front seat mounting bolts. I installed new bolts and nuts in the rear after drilling holes in the existing u-bracket for them. The bolt holding the bracket to the seat does get close to the new bolt in the u-bracket so I didn't use a washer under it. If you are using the original size o.d.steering wheel you might have some problems getting in and out of the seat. I'm only 5'-6" tall and have a smaller o.d.steering wheel and it fits me fine.[/Q

thanks for the useful info. I do have a 14'' steering wheel. I understand what you mean about the shims. I didn't realize they were saying put them in front of seat bolts. I thought they went in the floor pan to level things up. I can see where they would get in the way. I will try the seat with the 3 hole bracket as is and see if it's ok for me. if not, I will cut it off. I have read of doing this. looks like you get about an inch if you go to lowest hole. I bought the elite lumbar seat from custom shop with a few xtra's.
thanks again, phil

Quick Reply: Installed Procar Rally seats