C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Thread repair Muncie cover plate bolt hole

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 09:41 PM
65vettish
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thread repair Muncie cover plate bolt hole

I was mounting a new backup light switch on my 65 Muncie and discovered one of the bolt holes is stripped at the cover plate where the switch bracket mounts. It looks like someone tried to repair the hole previously as what appears to be a thread insert came out with the bolt. What's the best way to repair this hole with the transmission in the frame? Helicoil, timesert??? Note, the car is a 66 Chevelle with the body off so access to the tranny is not a problem. I just don't want to take the tranny out if I don't have to. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:51 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 65vettish
I was mounting a new backup light switch on my 65 Muncie and discovered one of the bolt holes is stripped at the cover plate where the switch bracket mounts. It looks like someone tried to repair the hole previously as what appears to be a thread insert came out with the bolt. What's the best way to repair this hole with the transmission in the frame? Helicoil, timesert??? Note, the car is a 66 Chevelle with the body off so access to the tranny is not a problem. I just don't want to take the tranny out if I don't have to. Thanks for your help.
other than an oversize hole and retapping, the only other way I know would be a helicoil. it puzzles me as to why the present threaded insert cam out with the bolt unless the threads for it are stripped....

if the threads are not buggered-up too bad, maybe the insert can be JB welded back in and then the threads cleaned out with the right size tap after the epoxy has set up.

Bill
Old 09-23-2016, 11:18 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 930 Likes on 532 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I repaired my tranny with E-Z Lock threaded inserts.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:36 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
other than an oversize hole and retapping, the only other way I know would be a helicoil. it puzzles me as to why the present threaded insert cam out with the bolt unless the threads for it are stripped....

if the threads are not buggered-up too bad, maybe the insert can be JB welded back in and then the threads cleaned out with the right size tap after the epoxy has set up.

Bill

But i hope you meant "chase the threads"...
Old 09-24-2016, 02:51 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

yep I did...

Bill
Old 09-24-2016, 07:17 AM
Chuck72
Le Mans Master

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Your choices, other than welding the hole up, are Heli-coil, Time-sert, or Big-sert, depending on the condition of the hole.

https://www.amazon.com/BIG-SERT-Time...RB4T1JPSRRKZEY

People use bolts that are too long for the blind hole, the bolts bottom out because they don't have, 'Wrench feel.' They crank down, the bolt bottoms out, the soft aluminum case threads yield. JMO

Old 09-24-2016, 09:08 AM
65vettish
Instructor

Originally Posted by 66jack

But i hope you meant "chase the threads"...
Thanks for the responses guys. This is my first time fooling with a transmission other than taking it out and installing it but not my first repairing a stripped bolt hole. If I repair the hole by tapping it w/o removing the transmission, should I be concerned about shavings falling into the case? What's a good way to avoid that?
Old 09-24-2016, 09:24 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

This is what i would try...I would put some grease on the 'chase/tap' and on the backside to collect 'anything' that might contaminate the insides of trans...

Hope this makes sense...

I 'think', if its accessible from the inside...where you can put some heavy grease on the hole 'and' when you chase the threads use some grease on it...make sure the grease 'blob' doesnt fall into case...so you might want to back that up with your finger so you know/feel it start to come through and wipe off that one.... back it off and reapply some grease...using you finger you should be able to feel if any 'sharp' shavings are on the inside...

Good luck

My 2cents...
The following users liked this post:
65vettish (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 10:54 AM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

Heli-coil. My Muncie is full of em. Main bearing retainer bolt holes, 3 side cover bolt holes, one tailshaft bolt hole and both rear mount pad bolt holes. Not a hint of trouble in 22 years.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:05 PM
65vettish
Instructor

Originally Posted by 66jack
This is what i would try...I would put some grease on the 'chase/tap' and on the backside to collect 'anything' that might contaminate the insides of trans...

Hope this makes sense...

I 'think', if its accessible from the inside...where you can put some heavy grease on the hole 'and' when you chase the threads use some grease on it...make sure the grease 'blob' doesnt fall into case...so you might want to back that up with your finger so you know/feel it start to come through and wipe off that one.... back it off and reapply some grease...using you finger you should be able to feel if any 'sharp' shavings are on the inside...

Good luck
My 2cents...
Excellent suggestion! I've done that years ago but honestly didn't even think about it for this repair. The older I get the less I remember...it happens.

Get notified of new replies

To Thread repair Muncie cover plate bolt hole

Quick Reply: Thread repair Muncie cover plate bolt hole