C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Rear gear pattern help

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 09:58 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Default Rear gear pattern help

Anyone here take a look at my wear pattern on my rear gears?
Trying to get a set of old gears setup and am having a heck of a time.
Take a look and tell me what you think.
I imagine I need to move the pinion but would like to which way I should start moving it.

I get a definitive pattern on the drive side but the coast side barely registers

Last edited by AzMotorhead; 09-24-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:54 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Did you hold pressure on the ring gear while turning the input to get as clear a pattern as possible - in other words did you put as much drag on the gears as possible?

I just went through this with a Mopar rear and had to go through 2 gear sets and 4 sets ups (and install/removals - bummer) but I would be afraid to suggest anything due to the difference in set up procedures. Maybe these web sites I found useful will help.

https://www.cartechbooks.com/techtip...l-performance/

http://www.differentials.com/technic...n-instructions
Old 09-25-2016, 11:43 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Dan. The first link is a good reference
Old 09-26-2016, 11:23 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Is that yellow paint or grease? You have far too much. I know they put a lot in most illustrated articles, but a very small dot of white grease in the dead center of the tooth on each side will spread around the contact unless your contact point is far off center. Then you clean them and put the grease spot where you think contact is and it will confirm.

It is much easier to see.

With this much, you have to have more pressure between the gears (drag on the axles while turning the prop) so that the pressure squeezes all of the yellow junk out to get a clear contact patch.

To get a good visible contact patch on the coast side, you need to drag the prop and turn the axles. That is why it is the "coast" side, you are coasting or decelerating.

It looks like your pinion is too far toward the axle. Have you torqued the pinion nut and crushed the crush sleeve? Did you use a new crush sleeve or the old one?

Last edited by Procrastination Racing; 09-26-2016 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:33 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Doc. After working on this for 4 days I determined the gears had a bad wear pattern set into them due to bad bearings.
Ordered new gears , Bearings, and all the goods from Toms
Old 09-28-2016, 07:33 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Rear ends are fun. My '78 Chevy 3/4 van had a horrible gear whine in it and one year just before Christmas, a friend rode in it, complained about it, and said he couldn't in good conscience let me make my 1000 mile trip home for Christmas with it howling like that. I told him it was find, it howled for the last 100,000 miles like that (about 180 on the odo).

He talked me into taking a look, and there was about an eighth turn lash in the gears. Next thing you know, we had it apart on his drive, axles, gears, bearings, etc. all out. Yes, the bearings were showing wear, so he gave me a ride home and he dropped axles off the next day to get bearings changed. (Naturally, it was the coldest day we had in a couple of years and I had to take the bike to work.)

Put it all back together, set up the gears, pattern was on the money, and everything good. Took it out for a ride to see how we did.

Howled just as loud as before and still had about the same amount of lash.

Then there was my '85 3/4 ton Suburban. It had nearly a 1/4 turn lash in it. We didn't touch it. I had about 225,000 on it.

I'm guessing that is your Corvette rear, so you probably want it a bit tighter.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear gear pattern help

Quick Reply: [C2] Rear gear pattern help