C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1967 Engine Stamp

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 12:35 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by MOXIE62
No, it's a real question. If someone hands you a window sticker that states this car has engine so and so, how does that piece of paper prove the engine is original to the car. Don't know what a POP is.
For many cars, NCRS Documentation Service can help. They can often tell if the document is legitimate. Generally an experienced Corvette guy can tell if the window sticker is legit or not. There are certain things to look for.

If a person has the window sticker, generally a bill of sale, tank sticker (1967 cars and later), maintenance logs, etc will also be saved and can be used to help substantiate the window sticker.

POP is Owner Protection Plate that was part of Corvette buyers original records beginning around mid-1960's. It is another piece of documentation that can be used. Roy Sinor and Al Grenning wrote a book on how to tell original POP from reproductions. Just like their Trim Tag Book for C2 cars.

Suffice it to say, there are many ways to validate paperwork. But you can't be 100% unless you have a LOT of paperwork that ALL checks out together. And then, that only tells you what the car had originally, not whether the current engine or transmission in the car is original or a good restamp. That takes additional investigation work. For body color, the Trim Tag can be verified as original or a restamp using Roy and Al's Book, and then used to compare to the window sticker.

But for every way we find to tell original from bogus, the bad guys almost always find a way around it or develop a better reproduction.

Larry

Last edited by Powershift; 10-02-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:45 PM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Wow. Story told by Vettelawyer above should be a cautionary tale for us all - and proof I wasn't just being flippant about throwing away $150K.

A question for Vettelawyer: with a long paper trail of bogus documentation, is there any recourse for recovering financial damages?
Old 10-02-2016, 01:50 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by kenba
A REAL TANK/WINDOW sticker or a POP.
Yup. And then there are those of us who have the original dealer bill of sale and the POP - with a NOM car.....
Old 10-03-2016, 11:09 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Yup. And then there are those of us who have the original dealer bill of sale and the POP - with a NOM car.....
SO at least you know what engine & options originally came on the Corvette. To me a restoration block that is the same HP as came with the Corvette is not fraud but changing HP & options is. I would much rather have real paper work on HP & high optioned cars that some owners word.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:47 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by kenba
SO at least you know what engine & options originally came on the Corvette. To me a restoration block that is the same HP as came with the Corvette is not fraud but changing HP & options is. I would much rather have real paper work on HP & high optioned cars that some owners word.

Yeah, the irony here is that I'm the guy who made it a NOM car. When I bought it in 1971 as the second owner the original L79 was trashed. So, I took it out and threw it away for scrap. It was just a used car, NCRS didn't even exist yet, and nobody cared about so called matching numbers!

So - I put in a 1970 LT1 350/370 hp crate engine and ran it that way for years. It's now on its 3rd engine, a warmed over ZZ4.

I do still have all that original documentation 'tho!
Old 10-03-2016, 04:59 PM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Yeah, the irony here is that I'm the guy who made it a NOM car. When I bought it in 1971 as the second owner the original L79 was trashed. So, I took it out and threw it away for scrap. It was just a used car, NCRS didn't even exist yet, and nobody cared about so called matching numbers!

So - I put in a 1970 LT1 350/370 hp crate engine and ran it that way for years. It's now on its 3rd engine, a warmed over ZZ4.

I do still have all that original documentation 'tho!
I hear your pain. We ALL did that as it was no big deal in the day & the Corvettes were only 2000.00. Younger people have no clue.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:15 PM
midyear
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

here it is on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Co...m=282212291484
Old 10-08-2016, 12:28 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by midyear
Top flighted 16 years ago Or about three judging manuals since then. A lot has changed since then. I can almost bet the farm it won't TF in the same configuration as it did.

Quick Reply: 1967 Engine Stamp