C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Lower rear of the car with blocks or lowering leaf springs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 12:08 PM
v8rx7com
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Default Lower rear of the car with blocks or lowering leaf springs?

I have ordered a Jim Meyer IFS front end for my 58, so I need to decide how I'm going to lower the rear of the car (about 2 inches).

I plan on keeping the OEM rear suspension, so it looks like there are 2 popular options to lowering the OEM rear ..... lowering blocks or replacing the OEM leaf springs with aftermarket lowering leaf springs.

It seems like a lot of people frown on lowering blocks.

I'm building my car to be a cruiser rather than a bruiser.... so what is wrong with going with lowering blocks in my case?

Or:

What are the advantages of going with lowering leaf springs instead of blocks in a mild street cruiser?

Last edited by v8rx7com; 08-10-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:39 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 440 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by v8rx7com
I have ordered a Jim Meyer IFS front end for my 58, so I need to decide how I'm going to lower the rear of the car (about 2 inches).

I plan on keeping the OEM rear suspension, so it looks like there are 2 popular options to lowering the OEM rear ..... lowering blocks or replacing the OEM leaf springs with aftermarket lowering leaf springs.

It seems like a lot of people frown on lowering blocks.

I'm building my car to be a cruiser rather than a bruiser.... so what is wrong with going with lowering blocks in my case?

Or:

What are the advantages of going with lowering leaf springs instead of blocks in a mild street cruiser?

Your car... Lowering blocks will work fine. It depends on the condition of your existing springs. These could already be somewhat flat which would not help. Less expensive way to check is to buy some lowering blocks and give it a try. The worst thing is you do not like it so you go the other route.

Last edited by jimh_1962; 08-10-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Quick Reply: [C1] Lower rear of the car with blocks or lowering leaf springs?