C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] 59 Corvette Dream Come True

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 08:14 PM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 356 Likes on 225 Posts

Wide white walls on my 58 and 60 (just to wet your whistle....)

Diamond Backs on the 60 and Coker Bias Ply on the 58 (for judging)

Tom
The following users liked this post:
teflonjohn (10-15-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 08:29 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

What the heck Tom???

Two of them?

They look great!

Originally Posted by thoyer

Tom
Old 10-11-2016, 08:40 PM
Root2812
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteed
I can't tell for sure from the picture, but it looks like the exhaust doesn't come completely out from the chrome surround. If it doesn't, you'll be getting carbon build up on the chrome. You could leave it like that however, and just remember to clean that area when you return home each time. Or, you could extend them out another inch. Or, maybe put chrome tips on the ends of the pipes. Just a thought......
I will keep an eye on that exhaust. Extending the pipe shouldn't be too hard.

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Here is the carpet installation info. DZVette converted it to a PDF...if you are on here much you will be dealing with a lot of his excellent work!
I ready that PDF. Good stuff. So you won't even have to take the seats out?

While you have the black paint out, spray the "faux" air scoops behind the front bumpers.

Looks like a great project with a lot of the goodies already there.

As was mentioned, get yourself the assembly manual for 1959. Also the ST-12 manual.

A few other great additions to your reference collection are the NCRS 58-60 Tech Manual and Judging Guide, Nolad Adams C1 book and the 1958 to 1960 Corvette Restoration Handbook. Lots of really good pictures and info in that book. Check out the NCRS store for C1 info.

I just finished a 58 and all of these books helped me through the process.

Ask lots of questions!

Do your research and decide how you want the car to be done. I referenced a couple NCRS docs not to sway you to do an NCRS resto on it, just to point out that there is wealth of information there for you to read and help you decide the direction you want to take.

Tom

PS: those rear spring shackles are not installed correctly. The spring should be above the frame, not below - but you'll find this out when you look at the AIM and the sT-12............
Good eye, I never would have noticed that faux scoops or the leafs improperly mounted. That explains why the back of the car looks so high. Fixing that will lower the car some. I am going to go out and get those books. I will never be a 100% perfect concourse resto guy but I love originality so I would like to keep it as close as possible without going nuts. The pan is reassemble with what I have and make it a complete driver and after that start putting things back original or restoring parts. Points like these you made will help greatly.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:43 PM
Root2812
Instructor

Tom
Both look great, the radials don't really detract from the look at all. I think I will go radial. Thanks for the comparison picture. Looks like you have one nice collection. I am going to nicely drop a comment that if they ever part with the red one I would like to buy it to keep the pair together. Last I know it was wrecked so its probably pretty rough though.

Do the original rims work well with the radials? I ask because on my 1950 Chevy I had to run radial tubes with radial tires because the rims didn't hold air since they were designed for bias ply with tubes.

Last edited by Root2812; 10-11-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:56 PM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Root2812
Do the original rims work well with the radials? I ask because on my 1950 Chevy I had to run radial tubes with radial tires because the rims didn't hold air since they were designed for bias ply with tubes.
I have had no problems with the radials on the original rims holding air.

I can tell you that there is a world of difference driving the 60 on radials vs driving the 58 on bias plys. Radials are the way to go .

Tom
Old 10-11-2016, 09:03 PM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ptjsk
What the heck Tom???

Two of them?

They look great!
Thank you. I didn't plan to have two at the same time, it just worked out that way...... The 60 is a solid driver. The 58 may be leaving soon though as I need to thin the herd a bit. It just Top Flighted on its first time being judged this past weekend with less then a 50 point loss. Time to move onto something else.....

Root2812 has a great looking car to start with and he should have a lot of "fun" learning about the car and getting it back on the road.

Tom
Old 10-12-2016, 01:52 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

You will have to take the seats out to install the carpet...it makes life much easier and its only 4 bolts...
Old 10-12-2016, 03:44 PM
Root2812
Instructor

I have had no problems with the radials on the original rims holding air.

I can tell you that there is a world of difference driving the 60 on radials vs driving the 58 on bias plys. Radials are the way to go .

Tom
Cool! Radials it is! What size are you guys running to look close to stock?

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
You will have to take the seats out to install the carpet...it makes life much easier and its only 4 bolts...
Ok that's what I expected. It looked like they were in the whole time in the pictures of that install document.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:23 PM
hawkfe
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Congrats, when this fell in my lap I couldn't believe it.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Root2812 (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 04:55 PM
Root2812
Instructor

Originally Posted by hawkfe
Congrats, when this fell in my lap I couldn't believe it.
Wow, beautiful. the red with red interior just screams sexy sports car. The blue is growing on me, it feels very 50's classy.

Last edited by Root2812; 05-22-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:51 PM
Root2812
Instructor

Well today my car came home. It was sad for the family who sold it to me but I think they were happy that the car was going to someone who cared about as much as their dad did. I got it loaded into the enclosed trailer and loaded boxes upon boxes of spare parts. Wow I got alot of stuff. Tons of new old stock chrome, a stack of documentation and manuals, and lots of parts.

I got the car home and my 2 year old got first ride. Here are some pics of all of us enjoying that car.

Me behind the wheel for the first time.

This is Robin, my daughter. She loves cars already. She got first ride. I need to get the seat belts put in so I can mount her car seat and take her for a real ride. We went around the block this time.

I got it pulled into the garage and my wife is already taking the wheel in the fancy roadster.

And as you can see my garage is now packed. I think I have an addiction. I sold the Roadrunner to get cash to pay for the vette, well part of the vette, but they guy only paid half so I am holding the car till he shows back up. Then I'll have some room to work. In the background you can see my 1950 Chevy truck that has an LS1 in it but its far from finished.

The following 2 users liked this post by Root2812:
Frankie the Fink (10-14-2016), jimh_1962 (01-11-2017)
Old 10-13-2016, 11:15 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Yep.....You're infected with that disease!!!

Great pics of the family.

Congrads on your purchase!

Pat
Old 10-14-2016, 07:44 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Yes - if you do nothing else at least get the seat belts installed...

My wife smiled like that when I brought the '61 home the first time...

As time went on and I worked on the car and learned a whole new gamut of expletives, the smile faded a bit
Old 10-14-2016, 10:49 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Like Frank, I too learned a whole new meaning of hardship and created newer, more colorful expletives when I was bringing my long-stored and abandoned '61 back to life. The darn thing fought me at every turn, but to be fair, mostly due to previous work done by Bubba. Neat score, and even neater that you have a very supportive family. Keep us in the loop!
Old 10-14-2016, 12:25 PM
Root2812
Instructor

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Like Frank, I too learned a whole new meaning of hardship and created newer, more colorful expletives when I was bringing my long-stored and abandoned '61 back to life. The darn thing fought me at every turn, but to be fair, mostly due to previous work done by Bubba. Neat score, and even neater that you have a very supportive family. Keep us in the loop!
Thanks! I'm so happy I go out to the garage every hour or so just to lookout it. I won't drive it again until I fix the massive fuel leak. I don't want it to burn.

I gotta ask, GTOguy, what year GTO do you have? I'm helping my dad redo his 67 GTO convertible. Big project but fun.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:34 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Great to see young people who love old cars, you are the future of the hobby, enjoy!
Old 10-14-2016, 03:13 PM
Vette60
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 71 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Very Nice - Congrats! Love the color. Sorta similar to my Horizon Blue '60. My Dad bought our Vette back in '62 and it was recently relocated from Pittsburgh to Richmond VA. Drove to work today so I can stop with her at the local cruise on the way home!

Enjoy putting her back together - there is always something to do. I have a list of a bunch of little things that I plan to work on over the winter.

Oh yeah, we have radials on the original rims and have had no issues - I think they are 205/70 R15 tires, will double check.

Randy

Last edited by Vette60; 10-14-2016 at 03:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 59 Corvette Dream Come True

Old 10-14-2016, 07:36 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Root, I have a '67 GTO convertible, and a '65 GTO hardtop. I've had them both for over 30 years. The ragtop is a base automatic car, the hardtop was ordered with all the right stuff: tripower, 4 speed, posi, guages, console, etc. I bought them as cheap used cars and they were my only cars until the mid/late '90's.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:48 PM
Root2812
Instructor

Originally Posted by GTOguy
Root, I have a '67 GTO convertible, and a '65 GTO hardtop. I've had them both for over 30 years. The ragtop is a base automatic car, the hardtop was ordered with all the right stuff: tripower, 4 speed, posi, guages, console, etc. I bought them as cheap used cars and they were my only cars until the mid/late '90's.
I will have to pick your brain as we put my dad's 67 together
Old 10-14-2016, 10:51 PM
Root2812
Instructor

Ok so I think I need to admit I was wrong. I have seen some unrestored original paint cars in Frost Blue and my car didn't look like those so I assumed it was Crown Sapphire. I was just never convinced it looked turquoise, especially the interior. I was going through the box of parts and found the new interior and they were all labeled Frost Blue. All Crown Sapphire cars had turquoise interior so I was puzzled. I went to an area of the car with original paint and sure enough its Frost Blue. The color the car is now is very close but looks to be a more green blue than a silvery blue. I will have to get it into the light by other cars but for now I think its a Frost Blue car.

Quick Reply: [C1] 59 Corvette Dream Come True