C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] 59 Corvette Dream Come True

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 11:07 PM
Root2812
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette60
Very Nice - Congrats! Love the color. Sorta similar to my Horizon Blue '60. My Dad bought our Vette back in '62 and it was recently relocated from Pittsburgh to Richmond VA. Drove to work today so I can stop with her at the local cruise on the way home!

Enjoy putting her back together - there is always something to do. I have a list of a bunch of little things that I plan to work on over the winter.

Oh yeah, we have radials on the original rims and have had no issues - I think they are 205/70 R15 tires, will double check.

Randy

Thanks for checking that tire size. You are right, our cars do look pretty close. Maybe the reason my paint doesn't match is maybe its wrong. I will have to do some research but its possible they painted it the wrong blue.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:22 PM
Root2812
Instructor

So I was so caught up on the color thing I forgot to give you all an update. I found the massive fuel leak, its coming right out of the fuel pump. Thats a cheap fix I hope to do soon. My brakes work but are very spongey and it pulls hard one way when I brake. I will need to tend to that but this stuff is all due to the car sitting so long. My biggest concern right now is lights. I had no headlights, tail lights, or brake lights. I found one ground wire in the trunk that when grounded I got headlights and one tail light. I need to check the other tail light to see if the bulb is good or not but that still won't solve my lack of brake lights and thats the big one.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:07 AM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

On most 59s you can find the original paint code on the bulkhead wall of the trunk, a little right of center, written with a wax marker. You might have to scrape some paint off with a quarter to see it. It will say Black, Red, Ivory, for example.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:32 AM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

Frost blue is one of the best colors ever put on a Corvette. If it's in the budget, maybe this is a good time to re-do it (maybe with the rest of the Roadrunner money?).

Don't throw away that fuel pump if it's the old rebuildable kind. In fact, tightening the screws on the bottom stopped mine from leaking.

Are you already in Duluth? Abdo is in Cohasset, and I'm in Bemidji (with many others), but I'll bet there's at least one forum member in Duluth. Your best resources are your AIM and this forum, though. I've been a member of lots of forums, but none of them come close to this one for active participation from so many extremely knowledgeable people (well, the Jeep forum is close). Sure, it's a little contentious sometimes, but it seems that someone has a good answer to any question here. I respect these guys.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:30 PM
Root2812
Instructor

Well I got my a.butt kicked by the car all day. The fuel pump was an AC unit and was leaking bad but doesn't look rebuild able. I went to the parts store and got a replacement. The replacement looks exactly the same but it's wrong. The fittings for the fuel lines are too small. The store said this was the part their computer calls for. Where do you guys get yours at? I'd rather not order if I can help it.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:32 PM
Root2812
Instructor

Originally Posted by Todd H.
Frost blue is one of the best colors ever put on a Corvette. If it's in the budget, maybe this is a good time to re-do it (maybe with the rest of the Roadrunner money?).

Don't throw away that fuel pump if it's the old rebuildable kind. In fact, tightening the screws on the bottom stopped mine from leaking.

Are you already in Duluth? Abdo is in Cohasset, and I'm in Bemidji (with many others), but I'll bet there's at least one forum member in Duluth. Your best resources are your AIM and this forum, though. I've been a member of lots of forums, but none of them come close to this one for active participation from so many extremely knowledgeable people (well, the Jeep forum is close). Sure, it's a little contentious sometimes, but it seems that someone has a good answer to any question here. I respect these guys.
I'm not to Duluth yet, still in the cities. My dad lives in Cohasset so I'm up there a lot.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:02 AM
Todd H.
Drifting

So many things get changed (like fuel lines) on these cars over the years.

Why not bring your old fuel pump to the parts store and get one with the same fittings?
Old 10-16-2016, 07:08 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by Root2812
So I was so caught up on the color thing I forgot to give you all an update. I found the massive fuel leak, its coming right out of the fuel pump. Thats a cheap fix I hope to do soon. My brakes work but are very spongey and it pulls hard one way when I brake. I will need to tend to that but this stuff is all due to the car sitting so long. My biggest concern right now is lights. I had no headlights, tail lights, or brake lights. I found one ground wire in the trunk that when grounded I got headlights and one tail light. I need to check the other tail light to see if the bulb is good or not but that still won't solve my lack of brake lights and thats the big one.
These old cars have NON self-adjusting brakes and that could be part of the problem if they haven't been adjusted, but, with the spongy pedal and other symptoms I'd say they need a THOROUGH going over; don't take shortcuts here....one thing to look at first is the rubber brake hoses, followed by wheel cylinders and then on to the rest.

Same with the fuel pump; spewing fuel is bad news around a hot engine. Do a complete rebuild if possible (kits are available and its not hard at all) or get a name-brand replacement. I wouldn't just tighten the circumference screws and if the leak stops think all is well. If rubber components are worn a defective pump can inject fuel into your oil and dilute it and cause engine problems. Don't cheap out here.

NAPA should have an AirTek replacement pump for your car. Those other 'boutique' stores would no more know what goes on a '59 Corvette than the man in the moon.
Change your oil after you change the pump.

Before you dick around too much with the electrical circuits add a 30 amp ATC, blade type fuse behind the ammeter at the black wire that goes to the battery. If you short anything by accident while troubleshooting before you do that you'll find out just how poorly these old cars' circuits were protected.

Now is not the time to get too 'fizzed up' to get the car roadworthy. Take a little time, learn your way around the various systems and do a quality job....you'll thank yourself later on...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-16-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:36 AM
Todd H.
Drifting

Yeah, Frank, definitely not time to get fizzed up about getting it roadworthy with 6 months of Minnesota winter just ahead.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:04 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Yeah, Frank, definitely not time to get fizzed up about getting it roadworthy with 6 months of Minnesota winter just ahead.
Ha! That's why I moved South --

We have two seasons in Orlando; Summer and February
Old 10-16-2016, 08:22 AM
mcb55-210
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by thoyer
Wide white walls on my 58 and 60 (just to wet your whistle....)

Diamond Backs on the 60 and Coker Bias Ply on the 58 (for judging)

Tom

Beautiful pair!

Mike
Old 10-16-2016, 08:35 AM
mcb55-210
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

......and GREAT FIND on the '59, Root. A lot of the hard work done, a lot more to go, but will plan on looking for you at Back to the '50s next June!

Keep us updated on your progress.

Mike
Old 10-16-2016, 09:21 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I got it pulled into the garage and my wife is already taking the wheel in the fancy roadster.

OK, now that you have a Vette for the women, it looks like you'll need to pick up another one for yourself. No way you're getting either of those ladies out of that car!
Old 10-16-2016, 09:44 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

I love this story- I meant to reply sooner, please stick with us! You may be the new youngest member here. nowhere man, jacttripper, and a few other guys like me. But I think you are the youngest with a c1!

yes, little girls love Corvettes! Mine always has!
Old 10-16-2016, 10:18 PM
Root2812
Instructor

So many things get changed (like fuel lines) on these cars over the years.

Why not bring your old fuel pump to the parts store and get one with the same fittings?
I did and they didn't have one. All of them look identical to mine but have 1/4 fuel line fittings. Mine is one side larger (5/16th i think). I may have to order one online. I have one mile on the car at 30 mph around the neighborhood, I just wanted one more ride before snow. With all the things I need to do its not looking likely. I was just hoping for one more ride of a few miles.

Any idea on where I could order one?

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
These old cars have NON self-adjusting brakes and that could be part of the problem if they haven't been adjusted, but, with the spongy pedal and other symptoms I'd say they need a THOROUGH going over; don't take shortcuts here....one thing to look at first is the rubber brake hoses, followed by wheel cylinders and then on to the rest.

Same with the fuel pump; spewing fuel is bad news around a hot engine. Do a complete rebuild if possible (kits are available and its not hard at all) or get a name-brand replacement. I wouldn't just tighten the circumference screws and if the leak stops think all is well. If rubber components are worn a defective pump can inject fuel into your oil and dilute it and cause engine problems. Don't cheap out here.

NAPA should have an AirTek replacement pump for your car. Those other 'boutique' stores would no more know what goes on a '59 Corvette than the man in the moon.

Before you dick around too much with the electrical circuits add a 30 amp ATC, blade type fuse behind the ammeter at the black wire that goes to the battery. If you short anything by accident while troubleshooting before you do that you'll find out just how poorly these old cars' circuits were protected.

Now is not the time to get too 'fizzed up' to get the car roadworthy. Take a little time, learn your way around the various systems and do a quality job....you'll thank yourself later on...
I am familiar with the brake style, my 50 Chevy truck was like that before I swapped all of the suspension. I will go through them all after i fix the fuel issue.

I bought the car without having ever drove it. I didn't care, I wanted it. But when I got home and took it off the trailer I just had to go around the loop once. Its a 1 mile loop in the neighborhood. It was on that short cruise I found the brakes sucked, not surprising though. I never went fast. Then I pulled in the garage and saw the trail of fuel. The car hasn't moved since. That fuel leak is first on my list to fix. I won't risk it. Then while playing around with the car (not running) I wanted to see those quad headlights lit up so I turned them on and realized I had no lights.

I've given up driving this fall and my plan is fuel pump, then brakes, and then electrical. I want the car safe to move in and out of the garage under its own power before I do anything else.

Here is one odd thing. All my dash lights work but the light for the tach never shuts off. Its always on. Car has been off for 2 days and that light was on still. Weird.

I promise I won't get fizzed up. I had a desire to just go out for one more short ride. That ride will have to wait till April now.

Yep, I plan to put her away at first snow every year.

Ha! That's why I moved South --

We have two seasons in Orlando; Summer and February
I lived in Texas, Georgia, and Louisiana over the years. I will never live down there again. the humidity is killer. I would rather wear a coat than seat to death. Maybe Orlando is better, except the hurricanes.

Originally Posted by mcb55-210
......and GREAT FIND on the '59, Root. A lot of the hard work done, a lot more to go, but will plan on looking for you at Back to the '50s next June!

Keep us updated on your progress.

Mike
After reevaluating the car this weekend I actually set a goal of having it ready to drive to BTT50s. I go every year but never have taken my own car.

You are right, alot of the hard work is done. I have to fix the things that break while sitting and then finish putting it together. Its hard to put a puzzle together when you didn't take it apart. I am hoping to find some local help. It would be awesome to find someone nearby to come look it over with me. I am still in the cities for a few more weeks.

Originally Posted by Railroadman
OK, now that you have a Vette for the women, it looks like you'll need to pick up another one for yourself. No way you're getting either of those ladies out of that car!
Haha I wish! My wife drew the line at one corvette.

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
I love this story- I meant to reply sooner, please stick with us! You may be the new youngest member here. nowhere man, jacttripper, and a few other guys like me. But I think you are the youngest with a c1!

yes, little girls love Corvettes! Mine always has!
I plan to stick with you guys. I like active forums. Youngest, really? I am 33. I know C1s tend to belong to either people who bought them when they were cheap and hung on to them or people who are pretty established but I never thought about being considered young. I wish I could have bought this car years ago. Honestly I shouldn't have it now. I never could have afforded it if I hadn't found a deal right at the same time I was selling my house and had some extra money from that. Sometimes things work out.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:20 AM
Root2812
Instructor

Any specific reason why? I was trying the grease to hold up the rod method. Is the oil change to get the grease out? or is it just incase the pump leaked gas in the motor?
Old 10-17-2016, 10:22 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I think it was based on the assumption that you had diluted or old oil. If not the case, no need to change....the grease won't hurt a thing. BTDT many times.

Get notified of new replies

To 59 Corvette Dream Come True

Old 10-17-2016, 10:31 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The grease for the rod won't hurt anything. If you are convinced your pump did not dilute the oil and the oil level is not too high and doesn't smell like gas you are prob fine.

If I had just bought the car though I would change it on principal; I always do...
You just never know what the prior owner might have used for oil; e.g. does it have the proper level of ZDDP?

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-17-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:18 AM
Root2812
Instructor

I intend to change the oil, I already got the filter. I was just asking so I knew. I wasn't sure if it was the grease or if a failed pump could hurt the oil. I'm just learning for next time I do this on something.

Edit: what is ZDDP?

Last edited by Root2812; 10-17-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:21 PM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 356 Likes on 225 Posts

what is ZDDP?
It is the zinc in the oil. The zinc content in motor oils has been reduced over the years. Search for posts on ZDDP and SWCduke (or is it DukeSWC?). You will find that Duke provides a ton of oil information. Bottom line, you can use Shell Rotella T and get the ZDDP content your engine needs.

I run it in three of the four in the stable.

Tom

Quick Reply: [C1] 59 Corvette Dream Come True