C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Water Flow in a 1967 small block

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 08:54 PM
Bobty
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Flow in a 1967 small block

I need to know which is correct. One thought is that you can put a shut off valve in the hose that leads to the heater core to keep hot water out of the heater core because the insulation is gone. Open the valve when you want heat inside the car.
The second thought is that by putting a shut off valve in that hose it will cause the car to overheat. The logic here, I believe, is because the expansion tank is tied in to the other hose that goes from the heater core to the water pump.
Which is right?
Thanks,
Bob
Old 10-11-2016, 12:17 AM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,036 Posts

If you think about it a minute, the main water flow is from the bottom of the radiator (suction) through the engine, and out through the thermostat to the top of the radiator.

The heater hoses from the pump and to the intake are just for the auxiliary heat (however, the heater core is a small radiator and may help cooling in a pinch). The heater core is not needed if the radiator is up to par. Hardly ever see a heater core in a race car.

The expansion tank must be left functional, not shut off, or you can over pressurize the radiator. Thus, if you valve one hose off, you will still have a path for expansion through the other hose to the engine. Thus, I don't think it matters which one or where you valve it off.

If you valve both hoses off, and the expansion tank is between the valves, you have isolated it from the system. Once again, NOT GOOD.
The following users liked this post:
Bobty (10-11-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 12:28 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Placing a shutoff valve on the 5/8" heater inlet hose, which is the one from the inlet manifold nipple to the heater core inlet nipple is perfectly acceptable. This essentially reconfigures the system to how the C-48 heater delete option is functionally configured while leaving all the heater hoses intact. See your AIM.

The 5/8" shut off valve can be placed anywhere between the inlet manifold nipple and the heater inlet nipple

Duke

Last edited by SWCDuke; 10-11-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:48 PM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

Did this a few years ago to reduce heat in passenger area and it works fine.
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2016, 07:13 PM
pewter50vette
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

placed a valve about in the middle of the 5/8 hose about a year ago works great ,winter is coming ready to turn valve on to allow water to heater live in california so drive car year round and heater is good in winter
Old 10-12-2016, 09:24 PM
outofspec
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

I like this idea. Thanks for tabling it Bobty.

I also like the look of those valves. Looked on line and didn't see one like it. Can You guys tell me where you got those valves? Thanks.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:24 PM
pewter50vette
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

got valve at graingers and hose fittings at autozone graingers number is 1pzb1check number picture is not very clear

The following users liked this post:
outofspec (10-13-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 02:24 PM
Bobty
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks to all that have posted.

Originally Posted by R66
If you think about it a minute, the main water flow is from the bottom of the radiator (suction) through the engine, and out through the thermostat to the top of the radiator.

The heater hoses from the pump and to the intake are just for the auxiliary heat (however, the heater core is a small radiator and may help cooling in a pinch). The heater core is not needed if the radiator is up to par. Hardly ever see a heater core in a race car.

The expansion tank must be left functional, not shut off, or you can over pressurize the radiator. Thus, if you valve one hose off, you will still have a path for expansion through the other hose to the engine. Thus, I don't think it matters which one or where you valve it off.

If you valve both hoses off, and the expansion tank is between the valves, you have isolated it from the system. Once again, NOT GOOD.
Thanks to all that have posted. You have answered my question and gave me some good ideas.

Get notified of new replies

To Water Flow in a 1967 small block

Quick Reply: Water Flow in a 1967 small block