C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

63 SWC: Needle of tachometer gone

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 06:56 AM
JuppZupp
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 63 SWC: Needle of tachometer gone

Hello,

the needle of my 63 SWC's tachometer decided, that it is time to leave. ;-)

I am pretty sure, it somehow fell into the tachometers's housing. The spindle is still moving properly - it is just the needle. I habe purchased a new needle and am going to open the tachometer.

Before I start, I would like to ask my fellow Corvette enthusiasts for any hints on how to open the tachometer without damaging anything. Is this hard to do for a medium-talented hobbyist?

Thanks a lot for any help and hints.

Best regards from Berlin!
Tim

Old 10-12-2016, 07:33 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Welcome to the Forum...

You're about to find out...you can do it just take your time...To begin with, the whole instrument cluster has to come out...Lots of electrical on the back...bulbs/grounds/switching/switches...

You'll have to remove steering column...

Get an A.I.M. specific to your year so you have something to rely on for all aspects or assembly/disassembly of parts and body...

Last edited by 66jack; 10-12-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:02 AM
roberts427
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by JuppZupp
Hello,

the needle of my 63 SWC's tachometer decided, that it is time to leave. ;-)

I am pretty sure, it somehow fell into the tachometers's housing. The spindle is still moving properly - it is just the needle. I habe purchased a new needle and am going to open the tachometer.

Before I start, I would like to ask my fellow Corvette enthusiasts for any hints on how to open the tachometer without damaging anything. Is this hard to do for a medium-talented hobbyist?

Thanks a lot for any help and hints.

Best regards from Berlin!
Tim

Its a real pain taking the cluster out that is. Not sure about the needle but that should be a piece of cake compared to taking the cluster out and then reinstalling it. Have fun.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:22 AM
JuppZupp
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by roberts427
Its a real pain taking the cluster out that is. Not sure about the needle but that should be a piece of cake compared to taking the cluster out and then reinstalling it. Have fun.
Thanks a lot for your comment. I have pulled the instrument cluster before and agree: this is a real pain.

But my question was more related to opening the housing of the tachometer... ;-) Is there anything special to consider?
Old 10-12-2016, 08:45 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 829 Likes on 573 Posts

Take pictures of back after removed from cluster...

Just remove the small hex head screws...note all ground tabs/locations...lift off the large back that encases the speedo/tach...lift out tach...to remove needle...grab with fingers and wiggle/pull...you will need a small pair of needle nose pliers to hold shaft that passes into back of tach...look for it and you'll see what I'm talking about...the new needle just presses back on shaft...but before you seat it on shaft...do it loosely...move it back and forth to make sure it settles on ZERO...when you get it located then push on to shaft...
The following users liked this post:
JuppZupp (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 09:10 AM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,043 Likes on 574 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If you gently hold what is left of the needle and turn it towards the zero and pull slightly it should come right off, no tool required. set the new one in place at about 3000 and with a slight twist and pressure in, turn it to zero. If you go to far start over and take it back off.
The following users liked this post:
JuppZupp (10-12-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 03:27 AM
JuppZupp
Heel & Toe

Thanks a lot for your help. I have completed the task yesterday. :-)

Get notified of new replies

To 63 SWC: Needle of tachometer gone

Quick Reply: 63 SWC: Needle of tachometer gone