C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Day one 61 restoration

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 03:20 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Now the big question. How are you going to title the car? It looks like you are not putting the original motor back in the car plus that is not the original frame, so all you have is an original body and that is only if you do not resto-mod the body in some fashion.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:43 AM
ricott
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 76 Posts

Man your project is looking great. With work and my son's house project I haven't touched mine since just before Christmas - but I plan to get back on it in late April. Have you gotten the rocker steel replaced?
Old 03-20-2017, 04:51 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I just removed the upper braces in the dash that the hinge pillar supports attach to. I'm going to have them powder coated. I'm debating having all of the new steel powder coated as well, hinge supports, rockers supports and the other pieces. As soon as I'm done blasting the body I will start back with all of that assembly. I haven't been on it much during Jan and Feb due to honey due projects. I had some question about what I was gonna do to the bottom but after looking at Slalomfiend's that is gone.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:33 PM
Robert61
Safety Car

Finally got started on the blasting. Thanks to al I badgered about how they did this. I've got fiberglass all over me. I never expected to get covered from blasting. There is some erosion of the resin whether from time or from the blasting. Should I fill this before I spray it with epoxy primer or after. Would VPA be the thing to use here. On the fender I have the pieces that are missing and we have decided it would be better to repair rather than replace this panel. I have very little experience with fiberglass but that will change by the time I finish this little project. I'm open to all input. I will be replacing the quarters with wide panels.

Last edited by Robert61; 04-05-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:43 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Not sure what fender repairs you are considering but if its anywhere on the front fenders then consider the '58-only metal reinforcement bars that run underneath the windsplits the length of the fender.

They'll strengthen things nicely, are invisible and the repros are about $100 and widely available - they fit all '58='62 cars....
Old 04-06-2017, 07:26 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

They're on the way. Once again thanks to you and the forum. I would have known nothing about them. I already have new steel for the rocker panel supports and hinge pillars. I took a bunch of stuff to the powder coater two weeks ago but I said I'm not going to get this new stuff coated. When the parts I got done were finished I decided I had to take them as well so I ordered the fender supports and will throw them in when they get here. The fender repair I was talking about is that gaping slice up in the first pic. Looks like it fell off of a jack of something.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:11 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I see it, PS, just ahead of the lower cove area. I've seen similar gouges more than once...
Old 04-06-2017, 08:39 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,428 Likes on 737 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Robert61

Finally got started on the blasting. Thanks to al I badgered about how they did this. I've got fiberglass all over me. I never expected to get covered from blasting. There is some erosion of the resin whether from time or from the blasting. Should I fill this before I spray it with epoxy primer or after. Would VPA be the thing to use here. On the fender I have the pieces that are missing and we have decided it would be better to repair rather than replace this panel. I have very little experience with fiberglass but that will change by the time I finish this little project. I'm open to all input. I will be replacing the quarters with wide panels.
The glass looks REALLY nice !!! VPA would work great on any resin issues. Make sure the underneath of the resin is solid - If any doubt V groove with a dremel - you want to make sure what ever is underneath is solid.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:06 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Originally Posted by csherman
The glass looks REALLY nice !!! VPA would work great on any resin issues. Make sure the underneath of the resin is solid - If any doubt V groove with a dremel - you want to make sure what ever is underneath is solid.
I hope what's left is good glass. The erosion I see from the blasting looks like it could have caused problems if I had just sanded or stripped it.
The following users liked this post:
csherman (04-11-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 11:55 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Hi Robert, Here are a couple of pictures of mine as promise. You are starting with a great body! Compare to mine. The last picture shows the small weed eater on table that I used to get the door gaps.

Frame build up started

Last edited by Dale002; 12-04-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:45 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,428 Likes on 737 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I hope what's left is good glass. The erosion I see from the blasting looks like it could have caused problems if I had just sanded or stripped it.
EXACTLY !!! - reason why I blast every body I get.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:51 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Thanks guys. Dale you can't imagine how many hours I spent looking at that frame picture trying to pick up every detail and exactly why he does it. Everybody I know says you did not pay that much for this ragged *#€ car. ive done a little glass work but nothing on this scale. One of my car buddies asked "are you gonna be able to fix that fender". My glass plans are wide quarters, r&r the lower nose, repair numerous cracks that I will be posting pics of, slick the firewall with heater and wiper motor delete, and some type of hood latch change.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:36 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Thanks guys. Dale you can't imagine how many hours I spent looking at that frame picture trying to pick up every detail and exactly why he does it. Everybody I know says you did not pay that much for this ragged *#€ car. ive done a little glass work but nothing on this scale. One of my car buddies asked "are you gonna be able to fix that fender". My glass plans are wide quarters, r&r the lower nose, repair numerous cracks that I will be posting pics of, slick the firewall with heater and wiper motor delete, and some type of hood latch change.
I never had done anything like this either, but I have been learning as i go.It's all doable. I choose to replace the complete front because I had a damage upper firewall with large pieces missing that had to be replaced and the front needed to come off anyway to do it probably. the original front had many old repairs and modifications plus new damages. it was much cheaper and quicker to replace, but I did consider repairing it at one point. Billy gave me a good deal on the chassis and had it ready in 4 weeks. I picked it up at the cruising the coast in Biloxi. I couldn't build it for much cheaper. I also consider going Charles way on Carol62. I picked his brain for many months. Charles was great in answering any and all question I had. In the end the new frame from Billy was the way to go for me. The cost of purchasing all the equipment for a job that I would probably only do once made no sense. It played a big role on my decision as well. Right now I'm on final. Preparing the body for paint. Most gaps are done. working on lowering the front end. Possibly cutting front spring. Last October the Car was driven for the first time after sitting in a warehouse for over 40 year.

Last edited by Dale002; 04-29-2017 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:50 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Eventually, you both will soon be driving.

Mine in 2005:

Now, I did not do the glass work.

Last edited by jimh_1962; 04-11-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:10 PM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Following this one , thanks
Old 11-12-2017, 10:17 PM
ironheadvette
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 75 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C1 of the Year Winner - Modified
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default So Where is the project now?

Hi... have been through all this too. Many pictures and a couple of watch out fors... let us know where you are now.

Good luck
Attached Images    
Robert61 (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 11:22 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Well I'm working away, doesn't look like a bunch of progress yet. Guys like CorvetteSander seem to start on stuff and it's finished 3 days later. I had all of the steel work, i.e. hinge pillars, rocker supports, and the front supports powder coated and have replaced them. I smoothed the firewall, replaced the quarters with GTS quarters for more rubber, and I'm repairing various resin cracks. It actually took me at least three days to get the gas door fitted and contoured. Sermershime just called last week and they are shipping my hood surround and fender. So I'll be on that for a bit. There's no way for me to thank everyone enough for all of the tips and input I've received from fellow members. And I'm always open to any further comments about what I might be doing right or wrong, especially wrong!

Get notified of new replies

To Day one 61 restoration

Old 11-13-2017, 11:26 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

csherman (03-03-2020)
Old 11-14-2017, 09:01 AM
ricott
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks for the update. The rear of your car is really coming along. Will you put the car on the frame to install the front clip?
Old 11-14-2017, 10:03 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

I am going to make the adapter for the rotisserie first and use it to line everything up. Project creep kinda took over on the body. At first I was gona repair the front end and I am I'm just replacing everything that's bad. Then I wanted bigger tires and you saw the outcome of that. I was able to buy a nos lower nose piece that I was going to attach to the existing nose and then I said no I can't use that it's junk. Then while all of the front is off we decided it was the best time to mount the Vintage Air so I had to get that coming as well. My new parts are supposedly underway so we'll see how well all of it meshes together soon. My buddy that owns the shop you came to just ordered a frame kit for his wife's Model A. I hope to get my body finished with all of the major glass work and let it sit and cure while we do the Model A. Very busy winter ahead!

Quick Reply: Day one 61 restoration