C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Got me a '67!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 12:55 PM
Craftsman51
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great story!
Old 10-14-2016, 12:58 PM
Geralds57
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 596 Likes on 361 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

All I can say is wow! Can't wait to see pics of the car.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:17 PM
SpiritOf76
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
WOW - what a find and great deal!

Marina Blue '67s are the best, BTW!

How closely have you looked at it? Does it in fact have the stinger hood? If the 427 emblems are on the fender it might be a '66 427 in Nassau Blue?
Not very close. It definitely had the fender emblems, and I do believe it had the stinger hood. But I do not know if the emblems are original, or if someone just wanted to advertise the 427.
The story I got from the old lady is that her brother got it in 1988 from his friend who needed money. He bought the car from the friend with an agreement to sell it back when the friend had the money. After 2 years or so the friend got married and moved away and never repaid the old man. At some point he registered it in his name, drove it to Florida and back once for a vacation, parked it in the garage when he got back, and it hasn't moved since.
The old lady is mentally sharp, just physical ailments. She told us detailed stories of being a nurse in WWII like it happened yesterday, so I have moderate faith in her recollection of things.
She said it was a '67, and she even said it was "Marine" blue, and when I looked it up, Marina Blue was indeed '67. Who knows. Next time I get up there, I'll check for the VIN. Is it on the pillar post like a C3?
Old 10-14-2016, 02:30 PM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

The vin is under the glove box, beside the trim tag, facing outward. Cool story.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:40 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by SpiritOf76
On my way there this weekend. The garage is first on the agenda.
Owner is deceased. Only living relative is his elderly sister. I wanted to make sure I did not take advantage of her, and I explained to her how much the car may be worth. I'd rather lose the deal and not get it than rob an old woman. The great state of NJ, on the other hand, has no problem robbing an old woman and is taking her house and property in return for Medicare costs which she could not pay for herself and her brother. The better shape the property is in, the more they can take off the bill in value. Either way, she has no use for the car and told me I am welcome to it and Glen (her brother) will be happy to know it is in good hands of someone who appreciates it.
Finding the title may be a whole 'nother issue... No idea where that may be. Haven't worked that one out yet. maybe I'll find it when I'm cleaning, but now I have to make sure I go through all the boxes of papers instead of just tossing everything.
Whoa - I think there is a red alert, shields up on this I hate to say....
If that car is part of this woman's assets and she's fighting with Medicare and she 'gives' that car away or sells it below market value there could be some serious blowback if she is not careful.

I could tell you a story about a friend who sold his mother's motor home for cheap to some relatives; she was in the same situation. They got a REAL nasty financial surprise when it came to light.... You better have her talk to an elder care attorney or the like if you really don't want her to get screwed..

Again, its been years since I had to deal with this same situation for my Dad but the rules were quite explicit and unforgiving...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-14-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:47 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Paint code for Marina Blue and Nassau Blue are both 976, depends on the year. Obviously the VIN # will tell you the year - 194676S1xxxxx for '66, 194677S1xxxxx for '67. That's for convertibles; coupes would be 19437.

Have fun!
Old 10-14-2016, 08:50 PM
emanusa1
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Good for you.

Almost free! is good enough for me!.
cant wait to hear more about this new discovery... it may be an L89 for all we know. better you then some deep pocket investor that's just gonna flip it.

Regards, Ed.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:25 PM
Twan Sloot
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

great story, will be following this thread from now on.
The following users liked this post:
Kerrmudgeon (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 09:00 AM
SpiritOf76
Racer

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Whoa - I think there is a red alert, shields up on this I hate to say....
If that car is part of this woman's assets and she's fighting with Medicare and she 'gives' that car away or sells it below market value there could be some serious blowback if she is not careful.

I could tell you a story about a friend who sold his mother's motor home for cheap to some relatives; she was in the same situation. They got a REAL nasty financial surprise when it came to light.... You better have her talk to an elder care attorney or the like if you really don't want her to get screwed..

Again, its been years since I had to deal with this same situation for my Dad but the rules were quite explicit and unforgiving...
Already checked with the attorney. The vehicle is considered the brother's asset, and his share of medicare has been settled. Since the vehicle was never registered in the sister's name is not considered part of her assets unless she legally claims it to be, which she has not done. The vehicle is more or less "abandoned" at this point. The house and land are solely in her name, the sale of which will more than cover her debts, so she has no need for a value return on the car. Attorney says its cool, and I recorded it!
Old 10-15-2016, 10:04 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Interesting story. Thought the title was lost? Sounds like the attorney is either assuming or pushing the envelope. Not sure what good recording the attorney does. If someone dies their car is abandoned?
Old 10-15-2016, 10:30 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Whatever you do.....Just get the darn car in your possession!

And get some pics up!
Old 10-20-2016, 09:41 AM
SpiritOf76
Racer

More info to come... but apparently it's a '66!!!

..Digging it out carefully... there's two old flexible flyer sleds dangling precariously from 30 year old jute twine on the rafters right above the windshield!
Old 10-20-2016, 11:23 AM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

So is it a "gentle womans" agreement? As in sure, you clean out everything and you can have it? Or do you have something in writing or she has already signed it over? If some one else catches wind of this and is able to figure who it is, a bag full o cash is going to look pretty enticing to the elderly sister and you just cleaned her house for free.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:46 AM
SpiritOf76
Racer

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
So is it a "gentle womans" agreement? As in sure, you clean out everything and you can have it? Or do you have something in writing or she has already signed it over? If some one else catches wind of this and is able to figure who it is, a bag full o cash is going to look pretty enticing to the elderly sister and you just cleaned her house for free.
I won't lie; the situation is... fluid. There are some lingering maybes/what ifs. I'm hoping all goes to plan. The BIG issue right now is finding the title. It might be inside the car for all we know... haven't opened the doors yet.
We're trying to get a roll-off dumpster down the driveway... need to cut a tree down first.
Attached Images   
Old 10-20-2016, 12:15 PM
Desert Nomad
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Wow! Looks like you got your work cut out for you. But if it is truly the car you say it is, then it'll be worth it. Keep us posted.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:09 PM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 91 Posts

COOL STORY, YOU ARE ONE LUCKY GUY
Old 10-20-2016, 04:22 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

First mistake, making this story public before car is in your garage and title is in your name. To many guys out there looking for old vetts.

Get notified of new replies

To Got me a '67!!!

Old 10-20-2016, 04:57 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by SpiritOf76
Already checked with the attorney. The vehicle is considered the brother's asset, and his share of medicare has been settled. Since the vehicle was never registered in the sister's name is not considered part of her assets unless she legally claims it to be, which she has not done. The vehicle is more or less "abandoned" at this point. The house and land are solely in her name, the sale of which will more than cover her debts, so she has no need for a value return on the car. Attorney says its cool, and I recorded it!
Smart approach!

And, yeah keep the location and details "close hold" until you take possession of the car; I've had a few bought out from under me and, trust me, its no fun and hurts for a while
Old 10-20-2016, 06:18 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Well guys Tell me what you think. If you do a google search both pics come up in CHICAGO

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/11/...-in-royal-oak/

Last edited by Bowtyeguy; 10-20-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:24 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
Well guys Tell me what you think. If you do a google search both pics come up in CHICAGO

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/11/...-in-royal-oak/
Very interesting. The last picture in that article (dated November 2014) is the same picture OP posted as though he just took it...hmmmmmm:

Quick Reply: Got me a '67!!!