C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Got me a '67!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 06:27 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Heres the other one

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifest...314-story.html
Old 10-20-2016, 06:33 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Story is about to get interesting........
Old 10-20-2016, 08:30 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,098 Likes on 1,866 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
And, that one is dated March 2012. Anybody else smell something??
Old 10-20-2016, 09:46 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

The pics are 3 and 5 years old, could never have been taken this week.

Chicago isnt Jersey.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:15 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
And, that one is dated March 2012. Anybody else smell something??
Yes...I do smell $h1t!
Old 10-21-2016, 08:37 AM
SpiritOf76
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry guys... did not mean to mislead... that is most admittedly NOT the garage in question. I just fired off some pics of a garage that was just about as stuffed as the one I'm dealing with. It was meant to be funny, not deceive.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:49 AM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

Received 903 Likes on 594 Posts

And OMG!!!!! It's a '66 INSTEAD of a '67. What amazing double luck! (Sorry couldn't resist)
Old 10-21-2016, 08:55 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

People do come on the forum sometimes with invented stories. I have no idea why. But I see the op has tons of real posts
Old 10-21-2016, 09:00 AM
SpiritOf76
Racer

Originally Posted by Lotsacubes
And OMG!!!!! It's a '66 INSTEAD of a '67. What amazing double luck! (Sorry couldn't resist)
Why? Is a '66 better than (more desirable) a '67? I'm sorry I don't know much about C2's yet.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:20 AM
SpiritOf76
Racer

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
People do come on the forum sometimes with invented stories. I have no idea why. But I see the op has tons of real posts
Yes, I'm for real, and I promise you guys the car is legit. Here's the deal- I've been up to the house twice. Once to check out the house/property for cleaning, and to try to get a peek at the car which I literally had to crawl over piles of junk to get to. Its about 110 miles from where I live and even farther from where I work. I work M-F 8-5 and my wife works Saturdays so I stay home with my 3 y/o. Sunday I was able to get up there just long enough to load up my F150 with one load of junk, and measure the driveway for a roll-off dumpster. Was going to try to ditch out of work early today and head up there, but its a washout. Supposed to have a garage sale (at my house) this weekend, which looks like it might get rained out too. Either way, still waiting on the final word on when the lady is moving out, then its go-time for the big clean out.
I will get some pics up as soon as I can... I'll even get myself in the pic holding up the daily newspaper. (And NO, it WON'T be the Chicago Tribune... saw that one coming a mile away!)
Old 10-21-2016, 10:13 AM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiritOf76
Yes, I'm for real, and I promise you guys the car is legit. Here's the deal- I've been up to the house twice. Once to check out the house/property for cleaning, and to try to get a peek at the car which I literally had to crawl over piles of junk to get to. Its about 110 miles from where I live and even farther from where I work. I work M-F 8-5 and my wife works Saturdays so I stay home with my 3 y/o. Sunday I was able to get up there just long enough to load up my F150 with one load of junk, and measure the driveway for a roll-off dumpster. Was going to try to ditch out of work early today and head up there, but its a washout. Supposed to have a garage sale (at my house) this weekend, which looks like it might get rained out too. Either way, still waiting on the final word on when the lady is moving out, then its go-time for the big clean out.
I will get some pics up as soon as I can... I'll even get myself in the pic holding up the daily newspaper. (And NO, it WON'T be the Chicago Tribune... saw that one coming a mile away!)
With all that junk there maybe other non car related goodies that are worth something. Maybe Jimmy Hoffa.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:27 AM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

LOL.... 'cause that's what I have.

When I was shopping for a C2 I saw '67s, equally equipped are typically valued more than a '66. In other words... I was just poking the bear.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:16 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

People sure do have a lot of fun on the internet.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:31 PM
SpiritOf76
Racer

OK, so I've been played. I feel like a total jackass, but the good news is I still get the car.
Apparently my father-in-law has a sick sense of humor.
The car was his. I knew he used to be into Vettes when he was younger, he bought and flipped a few dozen of them... but I never knew he still had one buried away. It HAS sat for 25+ years in that garage full of junk, but the whole story started out as a big elaborate hoax by my FIL to get me to clean out the garage and the property as a favor for the old lady. He's a disturbed individual. He knows I've had a bad case of Corvette fever since I got my '76. He didn't expect it to go this far, but when I lost my mind over it, he ran with the story and got other players involved. I got a little too excited and missed some obvious clues. Everyone had a good laugh. HA. HA. At least now I'm not worried about all the IF's involved in the "deal", and yes, he has the title.
Regardless, I am getting the car when I get around to finishing the job, since there's no rush now, and now I have time to clean out my shop and have someplace to put it once we get it rolling and out of that garage.
And payback is a BITCH.

Last edited by SpiritOf76; 10-26-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:18 PM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

Cool story bro.......
Old 10-26-2016, 05:37 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Yea Santa Claus is real and the Easter Bunny.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:45 PM
Lotsacubes
Melting Slicks

Enjoying the story 76. Looking forward to Episode 3. Still a '66 big block? Loved my FIL. He gave me a hammer.

Get notified of new replies

To Got me a '67!!!

Old 10-26-2016, 06:13 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,688 Posts

This morning I was walking my dog around my block, and a neighbor I have never spoken to had his garage door up for the first time in the 25 years I lived here.
What do I see but the butt end of a silver split corvette. So, I decide doggy should sniff around up that driveway and the owner comes out and says sure, you can look at my old vette. I was just going to get it out and dust it off and shoot some pictures to put it up for sale. WoW I said, I really like old corvettes, maybe I would like to buy it. Hey, that would be great he says, since then I won't have to talk to a bunch of strangers by advertising that old vette. So, my mutt and I walk in to look at the car and see the fuel injected sign on the fender. Hey, neat! Then I see through the dusty windows the filled up aft part of the cabin with the old decals on the plastic floor. Not much room for luggage back there I say. Yeah, when I bought this car and saw in the options list that I could get a 35 gallon gas tank and I thought great! I can fill this thing up only once a month! This car ever been in a crash I ask? My neighbor says no, not even when I used it as a slalom car. Sure took a while for those crazy metal brakes to get warmed up. Squirrely as hell till they did then she would stop on a dime! Can I look under the hood I asked. Sure! Big old vacuum cleaner tanks along the left fender in front of power brake master cylinder shining like a new copper penny. Hey, look at that, dual action power brakes on this thing! Yep, and the front brakes have fans inside them and big scoops on them too. Really stiff springs made it ride hard, so I only put a little under 20,000 miles on this thing since I bought it. Hard springs sure helped though when I would do the cone races out at Jungleland. (wild animal farm out in Thousand Oaks CAL that closed down in 1969)
What are you looking to get for this old corvette I asked? Well, I gave about 6000 for it back in 63, and I know from looking at the auctions they go for a lot more than that today. Do you think 50,000 would be too much?
That seems real fair to me.........

well crap, freekin alarm clock!!!
The following users liked this post:
tuxnharley (10-26-2016)
Old 10-26-2016, 06:32 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
This morning I was walking my dog around my block, and a neighbor I have never spoken to had his garage door up for the first time in the 25 years I lived here.
What do I see but the butt end of a silver split corvette. So, I decide doggy should sniff around up that driveway and the owner comes out and says sure, you can look at my old vette. I was just going to get it out and dust it off and shoot some pictures to put it up for sale. WoW I said, I really like old corvettes, maybe I would like to buy it. Hey, that would be great he says, since then I won't have to talk to a bunch of strangers by advertising that old vette. So, my mutt and I walk in to look at the car and see the fuel injected sign on the fender. Hey, neat! Then I see through the dusty windows the filled up aft part of the cabin with the old decals on the plastic floor. Not much room for luggage back there I say. Yeah, when I bought this car and saw in the options list that I could get a 35 gallon gas tank and I thought great! I can fill this thing up only once a month! This car ever been in a crash I ask? My neighbor says no, not even when I used it as a slalom car. Sure took a while for those crazy metal brakes to get warmed up. Squirrely as hell till they did then she would stop on a dime! Can I look under the hood I asked. Sure! Big old vacuum cleaner tanks along the left fender in front of power brake master cylinder shining like a new copper penny. Hey, look at that, dual action power brakes on this thing! Yep, and the front brakes have fans inside them and big scoops on them too. Really stiff springs made it ride hard, so I only put a little under 20,000 miles on this thing since I bought it. Hard springs sure helped though when I would do the cone races out at Jungleland. (wild animal farm out in Thousand Oaks CAL that closed down in 1969)
What are you looking to get for this old corvette I asked? Well, I gave about 6000 for it back in 63, and I know from looking at the auctions they go for a lot more than that today. Do you think 50,000 would be too much?
That seems real fair to me.........

well crap, freekin alarm clock!!!
Old 11-01-2016, 04:41 PM
midyear
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

and now this post by the OP....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...cam-alert.html

"This car has shown up several times in NJ area Craigslist ads. Others have posted warning ads saying they have been scammed.
The seller(s) posing as a couple from several different states (New Jersey, Massachusettes, Texas, Georgia, Florida) ask for a deposit to hold the car and then delete the ad.
Please watch out for this and of course, NEVER send any money."

Last edited by midyear; 11-01-2016 at 04:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Got me a '67!!!