C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Brake Pad Help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 03:29 PM
Roger L
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Default Brake Pad Help.

Hi Guys, I need your opinion and advice hopefully before I go back to NAPA as all new brake parts were from NAPA.
I changed the rotors, Calipers, Pads and hoses about 2000 miles ago (2013) on '66 Coupe, 327/350 HP with Power brakes. I ran a dial indicator on face of rotors at time to make sure run out was within specs and shimmed accordingly.
Just noticed right front has a brake fluid leak so I pulled off pads then calipers and obvious leak from piston.
When I look at back of pads there is a metal plate not long enough to span the width of both pistons in caliper. Therefore the pistons were probably operating at an angle as they were pushing against the thin metal plate and the lower surface of the steel pad back plate.
Has anyone seen this before and is it correct?
Did they give me the wrong pads?
Or did I screw up by not removing the smaller thin plate at time of install.
Furthermore I see signs of leak on front left which must be same condition so that makes 2 replacements. Although I haven't checked the rear yet until I get some feedback but probably same mess

Need to know your advice as to whats wrong here and what pads do you recommend as I will probably be replacing calipers and pads again, at least on 2 front if not all 4

Also considering I will be doing this a second time all advice is appreciated
Thanks Roger
Attached Images     
Old 10-16-2016, 04:03 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

chances are that is an anti-squeal plate, but it should be full width so that the pistons aren't cocked.

i'd take them back... i'd also try to get them to replace the calipers (or at least give you rebuilding kits....)

Bill
Old 10-16-2016, 06:03 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

That is indeed an anti-squeal plate, and it is identical to the many Toyota plates I have installed. You are correct in your assumption that it should span the entire contact area of the pistons. My advice would be to remove it and discard it, and use some CRC disc-brake quiet (the orange stuff) on the back of each pad. Just paint it on, let it get tacky, and install. Used it for 35 years, works very well. That, or get the right shim plates, if they are called for. Either will work.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I would remove the plate off the back of the pad and NOT use it. That plate is NOT allowing the piston to stay flat against the backing plate of the brake pad...which is what you want. You are always trying to keep your piston as true as possible in the bore of the caliper. AND...even if you had these plates that covered the entire back surface of the brake pad..I would take them off and throw them in the recycle bin. The brake pads never had these...or at least I have never seen them on a factory pure Corvette in 30 years.

And I know others may use it with great success...but I do not use any type of goo to bond the piston to the backing plates of the pads. Reason being...if the piston is stuck to the pad...and the pad can rock back and forth slightly....then it will cause the piston to do the same thing. And I do not have squeaky brake pads...becasue with as may brake jobs I do yearly....if I had a problem...I would be doing something to stop me from having to deal with it all the time. Which is NOT the case.

To each his/her own.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Roger L (10-16-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 06:34 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOguy
That is indeed an anti-squeal plate, and it is identical to the many Toyota plates I have installed. You are correct in your assumption that it should span the entire contact area of the pistons. My advice would be to remove it and discard it, and use some CRC disc-brake quiet (the orange stuff) on the back of each pad. Just paint it on, let it get tacky, and install. Used it for 35 years, works very well. That, or get the right shim plates, if they are called for. Either will work.
I just replace my pads with Wagner semi-metallic pads and they did not have the thin plate. I've not seen a plate like that on the 3 or 4 sets of brake pads I've had on a Corvette. I did use the orange stuff on the back of the new pads.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:51 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

What else is covering the back of the pads? I don't ever remember having any anti-squeal plates to install, just brake pad paste. Dennis
Old 10-16-2016, 07:08 PM
Roger L
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

WOW
thank you gentlemen for that information, I will see if NAPA will stand behind this mess as they supplied PADs and Calipers, so I would assume all 4 need to be done, DansYellow66 I will go with Wagners knowing no secondary plates on back, thanks for that advice.
Bluestripe67 that is paint bubbled up from contact with Dot3 brake fluid, nothing else on back.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Pad Help.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Help.