C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

QUESTIONS for those who have original '63 seat belts, or who have taken them apart

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 01:31 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Default QUESTIONS for those who have original '63 seat belts, or who have taken them apart

For those of you who can look at their cars with original '63 seat belt IC-5000 buckles (actually, maybe a year or 2 earlier as well):

I recently installed an original set in my '63 after finding a set in dark blue. I removed the buckles and bought a fully restored set I bought at Bloomington. Yesterday before a drive, I went to fasten the driver's side and the buckle assembly fell apart in my hand.

It seems I have not lost any parts, except for the fastening tiny, tiny snap ring that holds it together on the end (see bottom picture). Theres a spring and a washer and a shaft and 4 small spacers that make it all work.

The snap ring either broke or vanished into thin air.

Can anyone with an original functional seat belt buckle look at the head of the shaft on the outside edge (first picture) and see if that little "notch" is in the same place on both buckles? Are they both at the 6 oclock position? In reassembling these, Im not sure if turning the shaft makes the spring under more tension... as is its not very tight or springy.

In the first picture, the buckle on the right has the shaft notch in the 6 oclock postion when holding the buckle with the shaft at the top. Thats the one thats intact and functional. The other on the left is loose.

Or, anyone who has disassembled this might know? If it's not the shaft orientation, what else makes the spring tighter?

Also, anyone know where I can get 1 (or a few) tiny snap rings like this? Of course I sold 2 sets of spare buckles in recent weeks. It seems its a 1/4" shaft size, but Im not positive. Havent been able to find one.

(Bottom picture, one on top has original still in place; bottom one is missing)

TIA
Attached Images   
Old 10-17-2016, 01:42 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Here ya go...
Attached Images  
Old 10-17-2016, 01:46 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Also I think the snap ring that you show is incorrect (too large), or may have been over-expanded, which may be why you lost the other one....here is one of mine...

Perhaps McMasters, Fastenall or Snake Oyl might have the small, correct snap rings...could be worth a call to Snake Oyl or one of the other classic belt restorers.

They may take pity on you and mail you one out (sorry, you're aren't getting mine)!

PS For what its worth neither of my buckles are 'snappy' in operation...the spring pressure to open them is minimal and, although they close on their own when buckled, its not by much....
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-17-2016 at 01:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vettebuyer6369 (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 01:52 PM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Mine are both in the same position; both are one flat clockwise from your 6 o'clock position.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:55 PM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Also I think the snap ring that you show is incorrect (too large), or may have been over-expanded, which may be why you lost the other one....here is one of mine...

Perhaps McMasters, Fastenall or Snake Oyl might have the small, correct snap rings...could be worth a call to Snake Oyl or one of the other classic belt restorers.

They may take pity on you and mail you one out (sorry, you're aren't getting mine)!

PS For what its worth neither of my buckles are 'snappy' in operation...the spring pressure to open them is minimal and, although they close on their own when buckled, its not by much....
Not to be too picky here, but I think Vettebuyer’s clip ring is too small, that is why the ears are so far apart.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:56 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Super helpful Frankie.

I think that answers the question regarding the orientation and the spring tension. The intact one is pretty tight.

Your point on the snap ring is interesting... seeing how these buckles are restored, I wonder if the reassembly involved them not being reinstalled correctly?

Its also interesting the "heads" of both ends of your shafts have a "flat dome" while mine are a little rounded.

Thanks again.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:58 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Originally Posted by colo63sw
Not to be too picky here, but I think Vettebuyer’s clip ring is too small, that is why the ears are so far apart.
Could be the case... maybe they were hard to get.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:03 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Well mine are absolutely IC-5000 buckles (with patent numbers) along with the Irving Air Chute labels in tact. Now its a May 29th car if that could be a factor...
Old 10-17-2016, 02:11 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Well mine are absolutely IC-5000 buckles (with patent numbers) along with the Irving Air Chute labels in tact. Now its a May 29th car if that could be a factor...
I think little hardware like the shafts could easily change in small design over the course of the year... seen that before.

Our cars are barely a week apart, but I bought these belts in Lakeland this year and the restored buckles in Bloomington so they could be any date.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:26 PM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
Its also interesting the "heads" of both ends of your shafts have a "flat dome" while mine are a little rounded.
The heads of mine are completely rounded with a satin finish.
They are installed at 6:00 and 7:30 positions.
I believe they have NEVER been taken apart.
My snap rings fit like Frank's picture.
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by Rich Yanulis:
vettebuyer6369 (10-17-2016), Zoomin (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 06:39 PM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 466 Likes on 294 Posts

Default Belts

My May 14th car has rounded heads....not flat. Original and never been apart.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:38 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Mine look like replacements don't know much on seal belts could be another vender.
Attached Images   
Old 10-18-2016, 11:57 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

I think little hardware like the shafts could easily change in small design over the course of the year... seen that before.

Our cars are barely a week apart, but I bought these belts in Lakeland this year and the restored buckles in Bloomington so they could be any date.
I did find the clips hope I have the size you need just pick from list and I will send them out in an envelope just PM me your address. I will send extras had this kit for years.
Attached Images   
vettebuyer6369 (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 01:09 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

Could be the case... maybe they were hard to get.
For what it's worth, I have quite a few original IC-5000 buckles and I've never seen any pin head or clip end like Frankie's. They always look like yours - either chrome or dull plated. But I have encountered some pins that were slightly shorter than others and they did not stick out far enough to put on the clip.

There were different IC-5000s over time. Some had small letters and some had large letters and the parts are unique to each.

Also, all you have to do to add more tension on the handle is rotate the hex of the pin and wind up the spring a little more.

Verne
Old 10-18-2016, 02:00 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Originally Posted by rtruman
I did find the clips hope I have the size you need just pick from list and I will send them out in an envelope just PM me your address. I will send extras had this kit for years.
Rt that is super nice and thoughtful of you.

That style clip is different though, from the snap ring design (with the holes) like my pic and ftf's pic. I'm not exactly sure if that would work. Let me research that further.

I did contact Sssnake Oyl and asked if they would sell me a couple of the correct snap rings, but they came back and told me to send them the belt and they would repair it. I guess I can't blame them.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:53 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Rt that is super nice and thoughtful of you.

That style clip is different though, from the snap ring design (with the holes) like my pic and ftf's pic. I'm not exactly sure if that would work. Let me research that further.

I did contact Sssnake Oyl and asked if they would sell me a couple of the correct snap rings, but they came back and told me to send them the belt and they would repair it. I guess I can't blame them.
you could ask that vendor if you need um I have them any time
Old 10-18-2016, 03:39 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by W Guy
For what it's worth, I have quite a few original IC-5000 buckles and I've never seen any pin head or clip end like Frankie's. They always look like yours - either chrome or dull plated. But I have encountered some pins that were slightly shorter than others and they did not stick out far enough to put on the clip.

There were different IC-5000s over time. Some had small letters and some had large letters and the parts are unique to each.

Also, all you have to do to add more tension on the handle is rotate the hex of the pin and wind up the spring a little more.

Verne
I have records on nearly everything replaced on my split window back to about 1975 and nothing concerning seat belts; however; as we all know ANYthing could have happened over the years or even at the factory...

Get notified of new replies

To QUESTIONS for those who have original '63 seat belts, or who have taken them apart

Old 10-18-2016, 06:35 PM
project63
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Vettebuyer,

Here is a set of late 63 Daytona blue belts I restored for a certain very low digit NCRS member from Cumberland Maryland. You can see the correct orientation of the tension spring on one of the buckels. Every original set I've ever taken apart was clocked in this position. The flipper has a snappy response as well when released from the full up position.

PM your mailing address and I will mail you an correct snap ring.

Tracy

Last edited by project63; 10-18-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:59 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by project63
Vettebuyer,

Here is a set of late 63 Daytona blue belts I restored for a certain very low digit NCRS member from Cumberland Maryland. You can see the correct orientation of the tension spring on one of the buckels. Every original set I've ever taken apart was clocked in this position. The flipper has a snappy response as well when released from the full up position.

PM your mailing address and I will mail you an correct snap ring.

Tracy

Do you know anything on the ones I have ,What are the original costing now a days.
Attached Images   

Last edited by rtruman; 10-18-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:44 PM
MOXIE62
Safety Car

Received 333 Likes on 276 Posts

My pictures are blurry but I believe you can tell which way the slot is pointing. Also the snap ring picture is blurry and ring is very tiny. Pictures are of the drivers side but both belts are the same.The belts are original to the Jan car but I have a receipt where the previous owner had snake restore them.

Quick Reply: QUESTIONS for those who have original '63 seat belts, or who have taken them apart