C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Positive experience with NCRS Judging

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 01:48 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Positive experience with NCRS Judging

I have read so many NCRS bashing threads on here and people that get their panties in a wad over judging, I felt compelled to give the Cincinnati Chapter Judging Meet a big thumbs up for putting on a nice meet 2 weeks ago. I have been messing with Corvettes for 40 years, but never had the desire to have one judged, until now.

I have owned this particular 56 Corvette for 18 years and decided that this car was very nice, very original, and was likely over restored in certain aspects. The car did quite well, scoring right at 94.9 first time out with lots of points that could be easily corrected to bring up the score. So a Top Flight was good.

But, my thanks go out to John Ballard and the rest of the event organizing team and in particular the judges that crawled over and under my car for about 6 hours. The judges volunteer their time to evaluate my car against the NCRS standards, I learned a few things that I did not know about early 56 cars, and hopefully, they enjoyed judging it and saw a good example with some of the very rarely seen early engine parts.

The judges were very cordial, very knowledgeable and experienced, and went out of their way to compliment the positive attributes of the car, and explained any deductions down to the detail of 1 point deductions.

All in all, I had a great day, enjoyed a nice lunch that was provided, and met some interesting and dedicated Corvette folks. Going into this judging meet, I knew absolutely nobody that was involved with the event, but felt welcomed from the time I drove into the dealership where the meet was held to the time I left. Yep, drove about 70 miles round trip to the meet, and killed a few bugs on the way.

The following 3 users liked this post by jrm5657:
MCMLXI (10-17-2016), mikelj (10-17-2016), rsinor (10-19-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 03:24 PM
3310vette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I am glad to hear that you had a good experience and went into the judging with an open mind. NCRS judging is a process that a car owner only has to go through one time if they are not happy with the process. It is not for everybody.

Is your car early enough to have the power top option? If so, does it work?
Joe
Old 10-17-2016, 03:37 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Thanks for write up!

Glad you had a good time... and made some new friends!
Old 10-17-2016, 04:01 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

NCRS Chapter Meets generally are better experience. Nice '56
Old 10-17-2016, 04:43 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by hope2
NCRS Chapter Meets generally are better experience. Nice '56
I'll vouch for that....the 63 team lead that I judged with at the Crystal River local meet earlier this year knew more than the national team lead IMO
The following users liked this post:
Chuck Gongloff (10-18-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 05:07 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 3310vette
I am glad to hear that you had a good experience and went into the judging with an open mind. NCRS judging is a process that a car owner only has to go through one time if they are not happy with the process. It is not for everybody.

Is your car early enough to have the power top option? If so, does it work?
Joe
It is a power top car, but I do not have it installed and working. I lost all the points for that, but I knew that going into it. I have 2 complete power top setups plus some spare switches, cylinders, and brackets. Debating whether I want to go to the trouble of installing or not. I certainly have other things that I would rather be working on!!
Old 10-18-2016, 11:21 AM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 573 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

It is a great experience to go in with an open mind and learn about your car. I did it with my 62 #0029 and it was a blast. I missed Top Flight by 1/2 point, but I ended up at the National in Overland Park, KS. and got Four-Star Bowtie. All the judges along the way explained everything to me.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:00 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by jrm5657
It is a power top car, but I do not have it installed and working. I lost all the points for that, but I knew that going into it. I have 2 complete power top setups plus some spare switches, cylinders, and brackets. Debating whether I want to go to the trouble of installing or not. I certainly have other things that I would rather be working on!!
Rich Mozzetta (on the NCRS forum) has extensive posts on the restoration of early C1 power tops on that "other" forum.

The man is meticulous to a fault
Old 10-19-2016, 11:19 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Beautiful 56. Same color as my old one. I had the same experience at the In. chapter & the Az. regional meet. Both had very knowledgeable & helpful. Also some of the same judges were at both meets. Big John & Terry get around LOL. I agree I have NEVER experienced the negative things that others have posted about NCRS meets. All in all they do a great job for NO money.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:45 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kenba
Beautiful 56. Same color as my old one. I had the same experience at the In. chapter & the Az. regional meet. Both had very knowledgeable & helpful. Also some of the same judges were at both meets. Big John & Terry get around LOL. I agree I have NEVER experienced the negative things that others have posted about NCRS meets. All in all they do a great job for NO money.
Ken,
My 56 just made it to Arizona last Friday. It is a really, really nice car. Why don't you head down to my shop and take it for a spin?? Will be out in a couple of weeks!!!
Jim
Old 10-19-2016, 09:52 PM
Bob 66 coupe
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default glad you had agood meet

A good way to learn more about your car is to become an active member of the chapter and to start judging yourself.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:03 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Ken,
My 56 just made it to Arizona last Friday. It is a really, really nice car. Why don't you head down to my shop and take it for a spin?? Will be out in a couple of weeks!!!
Jim
Hill do Jim. I will drive my 65 original paint Conv. that I bought recently. I just finished some cosmetic resto in the engine bay hoses, clamps correct dated carb ETC. 350 HP with TI bought new at Harry Mann Chevy in LA, Spent its whole life in CA.
KEN
Old 10-20-2016, 12:58 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I learned a ton about 63s during judging - some was stuff I just overlooked in the AIM; other stuff I was completely clueless about....like the 63-only rear exhaust shields behind the rear valence. My car was missing those (and the repros are a PITA to get on)... Another was the metal sleeves on the bolts inside the front license plate bracket arm channels to maintain the space there - also gone on my car.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-20-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:23 PM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Very nice car.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:51 PM
roberts427
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

I have read so many NCRS bashing threads on here and people that get their panties in a wad over judging, I felt compelled to give the Cincinnati Chapter Judging Meet a big thumbs up for putting on a nice meet 2 weeks ago. I have been messing with Corvettes for 40 years, but never had the desire to have one judged, until now.

I have owned this particular 56 Corvette for 18 years and decided that this car was very nice, very original, and was likely over restored in certain aspects. The car did quite well, scoring right at 94.9 first time out with lots of points that could be easily corrected to bring up the score. So a Top Flight was good.

But, my thanks go out to John Ballard and the rest of the event organizing team and in particular the judges that crawled over and under my car for about 6 hours. The judges volunteer their time to evaluate my car against the NCRS standards, I learned a few things that I did not know about early 56 cars, and hopefully, they enjoyed judging it and saw a good example with some of the very rarely seen early engine parts.

The judges were very cordial, very knowledgeable and experienced, and went out of their way to compliment the positive attributes of the car, and explained any deductions down to the detail of 1 point deductions.

All in all, I had a great day, enjoyed a nice lunch that was provided, and met some interesting and dedicated Corvette folks. Going into this judging meet, I knew absolutely nobody that was involved with the event, but felt welcomed from the time I drove into the dealership where the meet was held to the time I left. Yep, drove about 70 miles round trip to the meet, and killed a few bugs on the way.

Glad u had a positive experience. Keep in mind that a lot of the judges THINK they know what is correct. Please but don't change anything until u do extensive research. Enjoy

Get notified of new replies

To Positive experience with NCRS Judging

Quick Reply: Positive experience with NCRS Judging