C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Helpful thoughts on finding my heads

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 10:34 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Default Helpful thoughts on finding my heads

Not my head my wife says I lost that years ago.

My '65 came with a NOM 327 engine when I bought it in 2014. I recently bought a correct date and casting '65 327 short block that will be gone through this winter, built to a L76 (which is what it came with originally).

My current heads are incorrect '68 Corvette heads, 64cc with 1.94" intakes. These will be re-used until I can find the correct heads.

What I need is a pair of 461 heads with 2.02" intakes, and date coded on or before May 15, 1965 (but not too much before).

I recognize that new modern aluminum heads offer lots of advantages, but I'm going with what would have been original to the car.

Here's the question: Where to find these heads? Once found, what is the rough costs of reworking rusty castings, like with 1.94" intakes. I'm thinking they would need to be tanked, mag checked, maybe bead blasted, new guides, valves cut to 2.02"s, maybe new seats, threading for screw in inserts and maybe installing guide plates, new valves, springs, and rockers, etc.

Advice begged for - even if I don't like the answer. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:51 AM
my63vette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As much as I hate Ebay, there have been a few sets for sale there. I would also check Hemmings as well. I'm sure there is even a couple of forum members who have a set in their garage they may part with.

The cost varies. I picked up a set locally for $550.00 which was a screaming good deal and not the norm. I've seen anywhere between $750 and $1500 depending on condition. I personally would stay away from heavily rusted heads as they present a huge headache and cost. To answer your question regarding the work to be done, my answer is "yes" all of the above. Have them checked and make sure they're worth paying to have them completed and installed in your car.

Good luck and happy motoring
Old 10-20-2016, 08:42 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Kevin, after going through the trouble and expense of finding the proper heads plus the cost of rebuilding you will still have a non born with engine. I would buy a set of aluminum heads, put the fake double humps, fill the holes and paint them Chevy orange. You will loose weight off the front end, gain hp and have a more reliable engine. This is just my opinion, good luck with your plan.

Btw, I still have those Delco shocks for you if you ever get home.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:40 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

I'm sure your'e right Mark, but we all gotta drive our own drive.

On the Appalachian Trail there is a saying: "Hike your own hike"

I guess that's what makes the world go 'round.

You're also right about my schedule, but I'm having too much fun to quit right now.

Thanks for the reminder about the shocks.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:42 PM
Mike Smith
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Unless it is something you really really really want, don't worry about the casting date on the heads. Casting dates are under the covers and are not judged.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:51 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Not my head my wife says I lost that years ago.

My '65 came with a NOM 327 engine when I bought it in 2014. I recently bought a correct date and casting '65 327 short block that will be gone through this winter, built to a L76 (which is what it came with originally).

My current heads are incorrect '68 Corvette heads, 64cc with 1.94" intakes. These will be re-used until I can find the correct heads.

What I need is a pair of 461 heads with 2.02" intakes, and date coded on or before May 15, 1965 (but not too much before).

I recognize that new modern aluminum heads offer lots of advantages, but I'm going with what would have been original to the car.

Here's the question: Where to find these heads? Once found, what is the rough costs of reworking rusty castings, like with 1.94" intakes. I'm thinking they would need to be tanked, mag checked, maybe bead blasted, new guides, valves cut to 2.02"s, maybe new seats, threading for screw in inserts and maybe installing guide plates, new valves, springs, and rockers, etc.

Advice begged for - even if I don't like the answer. Thanks in advance.
You'll find plenty on ebay. NCRS Driveline. Jeez, 13 years ago they were common for 350.00. I bought mine for 250.00. Prices must have gone thru the roof since then.
DO NOT INSTALL HARDENED VALVE SEATS.
Heads with factory prepped 2.02/1.60 valves are common as mosquitos in Manitoba.
I wouldn't convert small valve heads to big valves unless I knew the machinist very well.
You don't need screwed in studs and plates unless you're going to a non-stock cam that requires stiffer valve springs.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 10-20-2016 at 06:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Easy Rhino (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 08:03 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
DO NOT INSTALL HARDENED VALVE SEATS.
Heads with factory prepped 2.02/1.60 valves are common as mosquitos in Manitoba.
I wouldn't convert small valve heads to big valves unless I knew the machinist very well.
You don't need screwed in studs and plates unless you're going to a non-stock cam that requires stiffer valve springs.
I bought into that argument of needing hard seats for todays junk gasoline, and paid the price.

I put fluid into the motor before startup and was rewarded with a coolant leak coming out of the number one exhaust port dripping onto the floor.. I have a really pretty trotline weight setting in the corner of my shop. Put a set of Edelbrock E street aluminum heads on it, and changed out the 2.02 Manley Pro flo's for whatever was in the Edelbrocks, had the machine shop guy open the throats slightly and bolted em on.

I had about $2000 in a set of obsolete 50 year old iron heads that a set of off the shelf $900 heads will outflow. I will never run iron heads again.

Last edited by vettsplit 63; 10-21-2016 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:38 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Here is a set on Ebay, completely rebuilt, dated mid Feb, 1965. $695

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REBUILT-2-02...JYA62f&vxp=mtr
Old 10-22-2016, 06:41 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jv04
Here is a set on Ebay, completely rebuilt, dated mid Feb, 1965. $695

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REBUILT-2-02...JYA62f&vxp=mtr
I just saw those. Anybody have any dealings with that vendor?

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Helpful thoughts on finding my heads

Quick Reply: Helpful thoughts on finding my heads