C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Installing hardtop on a non-hardtop c2?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 12:16 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Installing hardtop on a non-hardtop c2?

I'm planning to run my car in one of those 1/2 mile events on a runway. My car is a "non-hardtop" car and I've always run at the dragstrip with just the soft top (even at 140+ mph). This time around I want to install a hardtop I'm borrowing from a buddy just for this one day event since I'll be scootin' along pretty fast.

I know there are the two locating pins in the back decklid.....do those pins unscrew from the top so I can install it without using them and having to drill my decklid for a one time use?

I'm assuming the hardtop latches into the same deck latches and windshield latches as the soft top? No differences?

Having never really paid attention to them....there's a couple of bolts/tabs right behind the doors that that bolts it down right? Are they special bolts? There's a couple of brackets on my car in that area...I assume that's the ones it bolts to?

Sad that I don't know these answers for sure....and I don't have the top in my hand yet....nor anyone's car to look at closely (my buddies cars is scattered at the body shop.

Thanks,

JIM
Old 10-20-2016, 12:34 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
I'm planning to run my car in one of those 1/2 mile events on a runway. My car is a "non-hardtop" car and I've always run at the dragstrip with just the soft top (even at 140+ mph). This time around I want to install a hardtop I'm borrowing from a buddy just for this one day event since I'll be scootin' along pretty fast.

I know there are the two locating pins in the back decklid.....do those pins unscrew from the top so I can install it without using them and having to drill my decklid for a one time use?

The rear deck "pins/bolts' are removable...you can slide them out with a small push/tug...

I'm assuming the hardtop latches into the same deck latches and windshield latches as the soft top? No differences?
There are NO latches for hard top on deck...

Having never really paid attention to them....there's a couple of bolts/tabs right behind the doors that that bolts it down right? Are they special bolts? There's a couple of brackets on my car in that area...I assume that's the ones it bolts to?

There are 2 side bolts that are behind the seats in the deck lid the only thing is they have oversized head/shoulders that act as 'flat washers'...

Sad that I don't know these answers for sure....and I don't have the top in my hand yet....nor anyone's car to look at closely (my buddies cars is scattered at the body shop.

Thanks,

JIM

Hope this helps...
Old 10-20-2016, 12:36 AM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Received 339 Likes on 255 Posts

Thanks,

JIM
Jim, there are 2 bolts at the bottom of the rear window that go thru the deck lid. You can install the top without drilling holes in your decklid. Its just not gonna be weathertite as the rear lower weatherstrip will not be pulled down to the decklid. These bolts are removable ... not "pins".

You are correct the front latches at the windshield are the same as your folding top.

There are 2 special bolts that hold the top down on each side behind the door jamb. You have to drill and install a special threaded insert into the fiberglass and then once you drop the hardtop in place, your secure with 2 SS bolts. See pic. Bill
Attached Images  

Last edited by NightshiftHD; 10-20-2016 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:11 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Thanks guys for the fast answers!!

So the bolts/nutsert NightshiftHD posted go into the fiberglass of the decklid or into the body somehow??

Anyone got a pic of that attachment point??

Thanks!

JIM
Old 10-20-2016, 01:34 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Thanks guys for the fast answers!!

So the bolts/nutsert NightshiftHD posted go into the fiberglass of the decklid or into the body somehow??

Anyone got a pic of that attachment point??

Thanks!

JIM
They go on the deck lid...just forward of the latch that locks the lid down...

Heres the pics i have...you can see a dark little circles on the lid the 2 on the rear and the 1 on the side behind the drivers seat...i wish i could mark it for you to see...

Last edited by 66jack; 10-20-2016 at 01:47 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:40 AM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 66jack
They go on the deck lid...just forward of the latch that locks the lid down...

I don't have a pic..
Just take a look at your friends deck
lid.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:01 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Thanks guys....now I see which holes we're talking about. Perfect...pics helped a lot!

My buddy's car is at a body shop a long way from him.....and he's 125 miles from me. He's still got the top at his house until they are ready for it....so can't seem to get all the pieces together in one spot. I'll pick up the top weekend after next....so then I can get it all figured out.

Again thanks guys! Back to all the other stuff to get this beast ready for some top end fun!

JIM
Old 10-20-2016, 02:09 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Thanks guys....now I see which holes we're talking about. Perfect...pics helped a lot!

My buddy's car is at a body shop a long way from him.....and he's 125 miles from me. He's still got the top at his house until they are ready for it....so can't seem to get all the pieces together in one spot. I'll pick up the top weekend after next....so then I can get it all figured out.

Again thanks guys! Back to all the other stuff to get this beast ready for some top end fun!

JIM
Does your deck lid have the holes behind the seats?

If not, i would wait and put the top on to mark for the holes for the side bolts and have the hardware on hand for the correct size hole...

Last edited by 66jack; 10-20-2016 at 02:10 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:19 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

You CAN run without the decklid bolts, but don't be surprised if you get a "weatherstrip imprint" stamped into the decklid paint from the top bouncing up and down...it'll tend to pivot on the side bolts!

Last edited by sub006; 10-20-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:26 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Why not just borrow your buddy's deck lid when you pick up the top?
Old 10-20-2016, 10:59 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by desertpilgrim
Why not just borrow your buddy's deck lid when you pick up the top?

That's a thought. But my deck is notched to clear my rollbar....I doubt he'd be too wild about me whacking on his!

I "think" my deck has the holes....but I'm a thousand miles away from it right now....Did any "non-hardtop" decks have the holes anyway?

I'll ck this weekend. If it doesn't...good point about drilling holes after top is in place.

Thanks for the tip on the wear marks.....I'll put some weatherstripping or something along the bottom to insulate it just in case.

JIM
Old 10-20-2016, 11:28 PM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Received 339 Likes on 255 Posts

(snip) Did any "non-hardtop" decks have the holes anyway? (snip) JIM
I'm not aware of any holes being drilled in the decklid either at the side latches or the rear latch area unless a hardtop was ordered with the car. It is possible a previous owner of your car could have added the side threaded retainers if they had used a hardtop and didn't want to drill the rear holes.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing hardtop on a non-hardtop c2?

Quick Reply: Installing hardtop on a non-hardtop c2?