C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fuel Line Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 06:50 PM
milano maroon
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Fuel Line Replacement

I'll be taking my '65 coupe in shortly to have the rear tail lamp panel replaced. Once the old panel has been cut off and before the new one is glued back would it make replacement of the fuel line easier? Maybe feed it through from the back?

I don't plan on ever doing a body off restoration but think it might be advantageous to have a new fuel line.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-21-2016, 07:39 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by milano maroon
I'll be taking my '65 coupe in shortly to have the rear tail lamp panel replaced. Once the old panel has been cut off and before the new one is glued back would it make replacement of the fuel line easier? Maybe feed it through from the back?

I don't plan on ever doing a body off restoration but think it might be advantageous to have a new fuel line.

What do you guys think?
IIRC, removal of the tail light panel has no affect on accessibility to the fuel line. Also, for the '65, IIRC, you have no choice but to lift the body to do a stock replacement to the fuel line, as it runs along the top of the passenger side frame rail. That's why it is not uncommon to abandon the old fuel line in place and install a new line on the side of the frame rail.

Others that are smarter than me will correct this if wrong.

What makes you think that your fuel line may benefit from replacement?
Old 10-21-2016, 07:49 PM
milano maroon
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the reply. No reason to replace other than I thought if it was simpler now it would be worth the fairly minimal parts cost.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:54 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by milano maroon
Thanks for the reply. No reason to replace other than I thought if it was simpler now it would be worth the fairly minimal parts cost.
Roger that. I totally get that kind of thought process, and it is certainly handy when you own a 50 year old car.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:06 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Won't help you with the sharp over axel bends though. If yours is good leave it alone. If not, as Easy Rhino mentioned, re routing along the inside of the frame rail is how the Chevy Service people dealt with this problem back in the day. Pilot Dan
Old 11-07-2016, 01:14 PM
Bluffman
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Would you order a direct replacement fuel line if it's being rerouted on the outside of the frame. Ian
Old 11-07-2016, 01:21 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluffman
Would you order a direct replacement fuel line if it's being rerouted on the outside of the frame. Ian
You are better off making your own, the replacement won't match well if you are following a different path.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:53 PM
Bluffman
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks Dan, is there away to replace the fuel line from rear to front on a 67 roadster without body being lifted. Ian
Old 11-07-2016, 08:06 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

I just did a new fuel line using 3/8'' nickel/copper line. I ran it along the inner side of the frame. I drilled through the rear crossmember and ran it through there after installing some galvanized spiral wire around that area. A bit of a pain, but it looks clean and will do the job safely.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Line Replacement

Quick Reply: Fuel Line Replacement