C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

tachometer restoration

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 01:54 PM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 45 Posts

Default tachometer restoration

Spent a good 2 hours on my 58 this morning removing my dash cluster so I can access the tachometer (that doesn't work) I want to send it out to get restored, any suggestions where I should send it and what should I expect to pay?
The tachometer seems to be seized, when I try to turn the cable by hand it won't budge.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:25 PM
jmschmit
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Tachometer.

Originally Posted by wilbur
Spent a good 2 hours on my 58 this morning removing my dash cluster so I can access the tachometer (that doesn't work) I want to send it out to get restored, any suggestions where I should send it and what should I expect to pay?
The tachometer seems to be seized, when I try to turn the cable by hand it won't budge.
I can't remember where I got my gauges done,but as long as you have the dash apart restore them all. Why take it apart again? I'm sure some one will tell you where to send them. Good luck.BILL
Old 10-22-2016, 05:39 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Corvette Specialties of Maryland West (they are on the WEST coast now) may be closest to you. Send the speedo for a check up too.

Its silly to pull the cluster and send one of the mechanically whirring indicators off without the other. Unless you just enjoy pulling out the dash. If nothing is wrong with the speed a 'checkup' is a nominal charge...

The small gauges generally hold up better...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-22-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:13 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

Rick's Restorations in Joppa Md 410-538-4528

He just did one for me a few months ago, beautiful work and he also has the proper calibration equipment.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:17 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Corvette Specialties of Maryland West (they are on the WEST coast now) may be closest to you. Send the speedo for a check up too.

Its silly to pull the cluster and send one of the mechanically whirring indicators off without the other. Unless you just enjoy pulling out the dash. If nothing is wrong with the speed a 'checkup' is a nominal charge...

The small gauges generally hold up better...
I would say it differently, but I agree with Frank - the effort to redo the gages is all in pulling the cluster. If you have the tach redone, including a new lens and gage face, your other gages may well look faded/scratchd up in comparison. Also, you may want to consider replacing your dash bulbs while you have it out.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:31 PM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.
All the gauges are done except for the tachometer, all the bulbs have been replaced along with the complete wiring harness so I'm good to go there.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:39 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by wilbur
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.
All the gauges are done except for the tachometer, all the bulbs have been replaced along with the complete wiring harness so I'm good to go there.
Well then, you're six gages ahead of mine.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:17 AM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

After you get back your tach and before you install it test it with a drill first. You don't want to have to do what I went through.

A few years ago the forum recommended and individual that was highly regarded to rebuild my tach. In many phone Calls and emails it was clearly conveyed to him that mine was a generator driven tach.

I got it back and installed it. Then I realized he rebuilt it as a distributor driven tach. The rpm's were way off.

SO, back under I go and rip out the tach and send it back. Tested it before the install and it was fine.

Drove around for 2 months and the new tach died.

SO, back under I go and rip out the tach again and send it back. You can imagine how I am feeling at this point. The tach was under warranty and has been fine for 4-5 years now.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:19 AM
wilbur
Melting Slicks

Ouch that sounds like a nightmare!
This is my second time pulling out the cluster (1st time was for interior restoration) so I can feel your pain. I really wasnt looking forward to doing it again but it all worked out because I got to correct a few things that needed attention.
Can you PM me the name of the vendor that did your repair?

Last edited by wilbur; 10-24-2016 at 10:21 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To tachometer restoration

Quick Reply: tachometer restoration