C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Bendpak HD9 four post lift air hook up

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 11:25 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 471 Posts

Default Bendpak HD9 four post lift air hook up

I realize this is not C2 focused, but some of you have these lifts. Anyone got pictures of a Bendpak HD9 XW (or similar) air line hook up? I am trying to hook up mine and the instructions on routing the air input thru the push button to the pump are vague....thanks if you can help...
Old 10-23-2016, 08:47 AM
Wakepowell
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a couple BendPak lifts. Your question is a little vague on what picture you are looking for though.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:03 AM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 782 Likes on 535 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Wow, I'm confused ! Air through the push button to the pump ?? I thought these were electric over hydraulic.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:49 AM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Wakepowell
I have a couple BendPak lifts. Your question is a little vague on what picture you are looking for though.
I have included two pictures. The one showing the air and hydraulic lines on the right, I believe is ok. The other showing the air push button, thats the part I dont understand....this lift is a HD-9XW.

I am not sure why the pictures are sideways....
Attached Images   

Last edited by vjjack04; 10-23-2016 at 11:00 AM. Reason: accuracy
Old 10-23-2016, 10:51 AM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pop Chevy
Wow, I'm confused ! Air through the push button to the pump ?? I thought these were electric over hydraulic.
The lifts have and electric pump for hydraulics and air is used for the locking mechanisms..
Old 10-23-2016, 12:08 PM
suntreemcanic
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vjjack04
The lifts have and electric pump for hydraulics and air is used for the locking mechanisms..
I have a Bendpak XD9 XW lift. I use a quick disconnect fitting at the air push button, for the air coming in and hook up the other end to the air hose Bendpak provided. Assuming the lift is at it's lowest rest position on the floor with all the air lines hooked up and your shop air turned on when you push the air button you can hear all four air pistons activate at each post. The system works on the principal of lifting your car about 4 inches higher that your desired final work height and then releasing the air button and the lowering your car down till each dog is pushed into position by spring action. This will limit any lower movement. When you decide to lower car to the ground you must first raise car about 5 inches then push in on the air button and release the dogs and then you can lower the car. I suggest you do a "dry run," raise and lower the "lift" before you drive your car on it.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:17 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

BendPak calls the small line going to the hydraulic ram an "air line".

Don't confuse that with the compressed air line that operates the safety locks. That comes out of the air switch and T's into the air line circuit going to each post and the locks.

Last edited by Mike Geary; 10-23-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:22 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Default more info

On the top of the air switch install a QD male fitting. On the bottom, use the compression 90* fitting and run the small air tube through the flex hose to an air line T fitting under the ramp. It is shown in the diagram if you look closely.

Last edited by Mike Geary; 10-23-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:53 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

All,
Thanks for your information, I appreciate it. I think I understand how it works. I just don't get the airline routing...And I am sure the instructions show it (if you say it does). I have one 90 degree air line (with compression fitting) coming out of the aluminum block at the bottom of the pump, on the same side as the hydraulic fitting. The instructions seemed to say that the line from there goes to the T fitting under the power side ramp. So what I need is info on how the airlines are routed at the pump...Where does the one in the pump base go and where does the 90 degree press fitting one on the "push button" go?
Old 10-23-2016, 02:06 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

I copy all, just need to know where the line from the underside "T" goes and then where the line from the air fitting at the top of the hydraulic ram goes?....I hope make sense, and I appreciate any further info you can provide....any pictures of yours?
Old 10-23-2016, 03:23 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

I copy all, just need to know where the line from the underside "T" goes and then where the line from the air fitting at the top of the hydraulic ram goes?....I hope make sense, and I appreciate any further info you can provide....any pictures of yours?

The air line from the underside T goes to the air switch, which a compressed air supply is connected to. This is the air circuit that operates the safety locks.

The air line from the ram goes to the aluminum pump block. My new HD9-ST has this line going into the outboard side port of the block, near the air valve. But the instructions say there may be variations.
The following users liked this post:
vjjack04 (10-24-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 10:39 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike Geary
The air line from the underside T goes to the air switch, which a compressed air supply is connected to. This is the air circuit that operates the safety locks.

The air line from the ram goes to the aluminum pump block. My new HD9-ST has this line going into the outboard side port of the block, near the air valve. But the instructions say there may be variations.
I appreciate the info Sir. I think I have it now.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:21 PM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 782 Likes on 535 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Thanks for clearing that up as I am getting ready to order a Bendpak. I thought the locks were manual
Old 10-24-2016, 10:03 PM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

OK, So I have the lift going up, but it will only go down to where the locks are...I hear and see it move, but the seem to be holding it so it wont go down.....see the pictures....are these rollers supposed to be in front of the cable or does it ride on them?
Attached Images   
Old 10-24-2016, 11:15 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

OK, So I have the lift going up, but it will only go down to where the locks are...I hear and see it move, but the seem to be holding it so it wont go down.....see the pictures....are these rollers supposed to be in front of the cable or does it ride on them?
The cables ride on those pulleys, kind of anti-slack protection. If the cable goes slack, the pulley will be pulled forward and engage a lock. So the spring loaded arms need to be pivoted back behind the cables.

Can't go down---have you gotten the air-activated locks to retract with the ramps raised a few inches above them?

Last edited by Mike Geary; 10-26-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:24 AM
vjjack04
Melting Slicks

The cables ride on those pulleys, kind of anti-slack protection. So the spring loaded arms need to be pivoted back behind the cables.

Can't go down---have you gotten the air-activated locks to retract with the ramps raised a few inches above them?
Mike I really appreciate your help. I knew I could find someone on the forum to help...I had to take out the cables and re-route them to get those little tension pulleys behind the cable....it was no fun. To push the hydraulic ram back I had to take the line off...hydraulic fluid everywhere...but after an hour or so of redoing the cables and then missing a pulley, I got it together. Then had to clean up the hydraulic fluid that was everywhere....now it works like a champ....typical for me to take something that should have been easy and jack it up....but thanks for your help. And now the thing goes good. Have a good rest of your week.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:22 AM
Mossy66
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by suntreemcanic
The system works on the principal of lifting your car about 4 inches higher that your desired final work height and then releasing the air button and the lowering your car down till each dog is pushed into position by spring action.
Actually, i think it's better to keep your hands off the air button while raising the lift. That way you can hear the locks engaging as you raise the lift. If the lift is adjusted properly, all four locks should engage at about the same time. As you raise the lift to near the desired work height, you keep raising until you hear the locks engage, and then you lower onto the locks.

With your way, you might stop at the point where one lock engages, and the others don't. (They are not always perfectly level depending on the load) You run the risk of having the lift twist as the locks that didn't engage will engage lower down to the next locking point as you lower the lift. You will also have a lot of slack in the cable that did engage higher.

Gerry

Get notified of new replies

To Bendpak HD9 four post lift air hook up

Old 10-25-2016, 08:29 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,327 Likes on 959 Posts

Default Bend Pac

Glad you got your lift up and running. One thing I added, which I think the mfg. recommends, is an automatic oiler to the air line at the push button air switch. I bought it at Harbor Freight for a few dollars. I add oil to the reservoir every few months. Jerry
Old 10-25-2016, 08:44 AM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

A representative (seller not Bendpak reprensative)I had an email conversation with stated I needed a 30 gallon air tank set up to operate the locks properly. I stated that I had a 15 gallon 150 PSI set up and she said that was fine which I view as a contradiction of her original statement. Any of you owners input of actual usage is appreciated.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:05 AM
sshort67
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mossy66
Actually, i think it's better to keep your hands off the air button while raising the lift. That way you can hear the locks engaging as you raise the lift. If the lift is adjusted properly, all four locks should engage at about the same time. As you raise the lift to near the desired work height, you keep raising until you hear the locks engage, and then you lower onto the locks.
I agree 100%. Daydreaming one day and kept my hand on the air button while raising, sure enough the far lock did not catch and not good. After this happen once you learn to keep an eye on the platform. Probably not as dangerous as it sounds but scared me!!

Quick Reply: Bendpak HD9 four post lift air hook up