C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] New to the C2....what to look for when inspecting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 09:36 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,366 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Default New to the C2....what to look for when inspecting?

Im going to take a look at a '64 coupe on tuesday afternoon, and just wanted to check in and see if there are any trouble areas specific to the C2 I should be aware of. Im painfully familiar with what to look for when inspecting a C3....I assume given that they share a similar chasis, the trouble spots are all the same....radiator core support, #1-4 body mounts, frame kick up.

Any other tips particular to the C2 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-23-2016, 09:51 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
Im going to take a look at a '64 coupe on tuesday afternoon, and just wanted to check in and see if there are any trouble areas specific to the C2 I should be aware of. Im painfully familiar with what to look for when inspecting a C3....I assume given that they share a similar chasis, the trouble spots are all the same....radiator core support, #1-4 body mounts, frame kick up.

Any other tips particular to the C2 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Since you are familiar with C3s, bonding strips/body isses and frame issues - particular to a C2 would be the bird cage structure - up under the dash below the windshield, the coupe door metal forming the gutters, the hinge pillars in the kick panel area. Check operation of the headlights since the electric motors and bucket mounts can be a pain to access and fix. Other than that there a number of specific trim and components fairly unique to a 64 - seats, instrument & dash trim, etc that you would need to study up on, depending on how original a car it's advertised to be.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:00 AM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Do you have pics or a link to the 64 for sale and how much they're asking?
Old 10-23-2016, 10:25 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Ill post pics after I inspect the car. Im on a work trip all next week, the car just happened to be in the area. Regardless, I would have to go back a week or two later to complete a sale/pick the car up if its still available.

I'm just trying to get a head start on potential problem areas to inspect outside of what I already know about the C3...sounds like a lot of similarities.

I'm not looking for originality, or an investment quality car....just a nice driver with a solid foundation....I'm good with mechanical/electrical work, what I'm looking to avoid is structural issues in the frame/bird cage/body.

Last edited by FLYNAVY30; 10-23-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:40 AM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

I'm not looking for originality, or an investment quality car....just a nice driver with a solid foundation....I'm good with mechanical/electrical work, what I'm looking to avoid is structural issues in the frame/bird cage/body.
The birdcage, frame and panel fitment is what I'd be looking at then.

Take it for a drive, give it some gas and see how well it stops under pressure. If it feels right, buy it, if not, there are plenty, plenty of nice drivers out there if you don't care about originality, matching numbers, NCRS, etc..
Old 10-23-2016, 11:25 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

agreed completely....to be honest, I wasn't necessarily intending to buy something at the moment. I was going to wait another year or so, but I specifically want a '64 coupe, and I happened to stumble on this one which has what looks to be (at least from the few pics) a nice repaint in a non factory color....we'll see how it looks in person as far as paint quality and panel gaps go.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:28 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Birdcage, frame, replacement panels.
One trick is to reach down in front of the hood and feel the two holes in the header bar where the access to the nose emblem is provided, if they feel sharp with crisp edges then they were drilled and its a repro and prob indicates a front clip replacement; if they have rounded edges and curled over a bit they are stamped and its prob an original front.

A bit fuzzy but this is an original. Nothing wrong with a properly repaired car but you should know the deal before purchasing...
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2016, 11:30 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Thanks very much....thats exactly the kind of information Im looking for!
Old 10-23-2016, 11:33 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Many claim you should see a very slight ripple over the wheel wells were the parking light panel attaches to the fender. But I wouldn't count on it...plenty of no hit cars had the body worked to eliminate such things... That indicator came up on the forum a few weeks back...its HARD to see it..

BTW - I worked at the Norfolk Naval Air Station, Dam Neck and NAS Oceana for many years....avionics technician and flight simulator programming.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-23-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:42 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

very cool....Im an MH-53E pilot over at Chambers Field.

The seller has been very up front about the car....in a past life, someone had put flares on the car...when he purchased it, he put factory fenders back on the car and painted it, so theres definitely been a good deal of body work done to the car, which doesn't bother me in the least, as long as it was done correctly.

Last edited by FLYNAVY30; 10-23-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:49 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

very cool....Im an MH-53E pilot over at Chamber Field.

The seller has been very up front about the car....in a past life, someone had put flares on the car...when he purchased it, he put factory fenders back on the car and painted it, so theres definitely been a good deal of body work done to the car, which doesn't bother me in the least, as long as it was done correctly.
Ha! Now that's a bad *** ride...

Just a bit of advice - if you find a nice car that fits your needs and you can pull it off you might want to think about snapping it up.

The much-maligned 64 model year is rapidly coming into its own and getting respect and associated price increases...

The old drum brakes are a little scary but that's easily fixable!

To wit - they ain't gettin' no cheaper

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-23-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:21 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

yea...never understood the hate towards the '64. I love the '63 as much as anyone, but I want a car Im not afraid to drive. Love the '67 too, but personally feel the '64 is a better looking car than the '65-'66 and for someone who doesn't care about stock, swapping to a dual master disc brake set up on a '64 doesn't bother me at all. I guess it all comes down to what you want, and what your intended use is...I'm looking for a structurally solid base with a decent paint job that I can work on and tinker with mechanically to turn it into something I can drive every day it isn't raining out, and take cross country on things like Power Tour.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:46 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

yea...never understood the hate towards the '64. I love the '63 as much as anyone, but I want a car Im not afraid to drive. Love the '67 too, but personally feel the '64 is a better looking car than the '65-'66 and for someone who doesn't care about stock, swapping to a dual master disc brake set up on a '64 doesn't bother me at all. I guess it all comes down to what you want, and what your intended use is...I'm looking for a structurally solid base with a decent paint job that I can work on and tinker with mechanically to turn it into something I can drive every day it isn't raining out, and take cross country on things like Power Tour.
Just be a bit careful my friend - my Dad and I co-owned a used car lot on Military Highway back in the late '60s. That's when sailors could park right beside the piers for 6 month deployments.

That salt water spray would play living hell with undercarriages and brightwork. If your pick is a long-time local car go over it thoroughly
Old 10-23-2016, 04:00 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

no....not local...down south. We're taking two aircraft down to Pensacola tomorrow for the week...going to take a little road trip tuesday afternoon to check it out
Old 10-24-2016, 11:02 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

+1 on birdcage, ecspecially above glass areas on coupes.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:13 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by sub006
+1 on birdcage, ecspecially above glass areas on coupes.
A Harbor Freight gooseneck camera is your friend...
I have a different model that uses my iPhone as the screen and captures snapshots and videos and has a much longer gooseneck -- as shown (again, I didn't pay this price)...you can find them on sale cheaper than the current price. You can use it as a cylinder borescope, inspect HVAC ducts, inside walls or for an amateur proctological exam.

Run it up in the door hinge pillars, under the dash, in the rocker panel areas, inside the frame (if you can get the car up in the air)....
Attached Images   

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-24-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:43 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Headed out today....Ill post some pics when I get back

Get notified of new replies

To New to the C2....what to look for when inspecting?

Quick Reply: [C2] New to the C2....what to look for when inspecting?