C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

T5 install into a C1...how's this plan sound ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:02 AM
ryan22
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

Default T5 install into a C1...how's this plan sound ?

I'm planning to put a T5 into a 58. Found some interesting suggestions in the forum about the T5 install into a C1...

In this thread on the topic Paul from 5speeds.com makes an interesting suggestion;
link-
http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...n-a-c-1-a.html

Paul says "If it were up to me I'd take a GM World Class T5 and use a Ford Mainshaft and Tailhousing on it. This allows the front end to be complete and exact like any GM car and gives you a perfect shifter location."

He goes on to add "Purchase a blown up Ford T5 to get a good mainshaft , tail and internals other than main gears. Purchase a new heavy duty GM gearset from g-forcetransmissions.com
get a GM case, a GM bearing retainer and a rebuild kit. Now you have an M22 style T5!"

I changed our 65 Mustang from an A/T to a T5 and I love it, what a smooth shifting trans. I don't drive our cars hard so I don't need the M22 style T5 Pauls refers to but I do like his suggestion of the GM case with the Ford tailshaft due to the perfect shifter location and not needing the adapter plate you need when using a Ford T5...unless I'm missing anything with this plan ?

Thanks !
Old 10-24-2016, 10:01 AM
68L71
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds interesting, especially if there is no cutting the trans tunnel.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:14 PM
1COOL60
Burning Brakes

Location: Emporia, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain, KS
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I was planning on putting a T5 in my '60. I did some measuring and came to the conclusion (after measuring the trans and the car) that the tunnel would have to be cut to clear the shifter tower. I did not want to cut the tunnel so I ended up installing a RS600 trans. There is a guy around here that has a '60 into which he installed a T5, and he had to cut the tunnel for the shift tower.

Get notified of new replies

To T5 install into a C1...how's this plan sound ?

Quick Reply: T5 install into a C1...how's this plan sound ?