C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Frost Blue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 02:32 PM
Root2812
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Frost Blue?

Well this weekend the Corvette went into winter storage. Its sad to say it because I already miss the car. I am going to take the winter to fix a few things but during my move I will be gathering information.

My car (a 59) is a frost blue car. It was repainted before I purchased it and its supposed to be the original color. It was painted in a Chromabase base clear. I looked online and it apprears that in 59, GM's frost blue had two codes, 910 and 502a. My paper work from the paint shop says 910. I compared the 910 and the 502 online and both come back with the same modern paint numbers so they should be the same. Fortunatley I got the paint chip and mixing formula for the paint used.

The cars exterior was painted but none of the interior parts were. They do not match now. I am not sure if the original interior paint is faded or not because they are close, just not right.

Then some of the vinyl parts were replaced with new parts and are out of the car, but when I put them against the paint they match the old and not the new. Those interior parts say Frost Blue on them.

So here is what I am hoping for help on. Obviously something is wrong but the paint options used the same formula so either their was a mistake at the paint shop or the interior vinyl and the paint are slightly different. Can some of you frost blue 59 owners let me know how closely your vinyl matches your paint? And if you have ever had the car painted, how close was the old and new paint?

Honestly, after the last owner spent $6000 to have the car stripped to bare glass and painted I am not about to sand off a beautiful paint job to pay for a repaint. I would however, like to figure this out so I can make sure to finish the interior correctly that way if I ever repaint I can make it all right.

For now I am just going to get the car back together so I can enjoy it but I want to make sure any new work I do it correct so I don't have to redo it later.

Maybe the older guy I got it from's vision was failing so color match wasn't his concern. Afterall the carpet he bought is dark blue and no where even close to frost blue. Its brand new so I will use it for now but there are so many question marks.

Thanks

Last edited by Root2812; 10-24-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:08 AM
Root2812
Instructor

Here is a picture of the new and old paint side by side. The old looks like it could be faded but it matches the new upholstery I got. (Ignore the seat in the picture because those are home made covers). I'm curious how all of your interior color matches the paint you have.

Top piece is new paint

​​​
Old 11-22-2016, 07:26 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 929 Likes on 531 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I thought the interior paint was Horizon Blue and is close to frost blue but not exact.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:33 AM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

Having seen several of these cars over the years I remember noting that the interior and exterior blues were not the same. Names and numbers of the colors involved I must leave to those more versed in Corvette lore.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I know about paint rather well..and that is off a mile in my book.

BUT...I have to admit...I am not totally up on what GM did back in the 50's. But it does not make sense that there would be such a huge difference in these two panels...but...once again...maybe GM did it that way....which to me ...makes no sense.

Because if the interior color was black...for example....would they have shot these lighter panel black?

But I also know on the mid-years...at the side of the dash where it is riveted to the hinge post...that area was treated differently depending on the exterior color and the interior color.

DUB
Old 11-22-2016, 06:51 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I agree that your interior paint has faded with age. I also agree that upholstery vinyl seldom matches the exterior color. It wasn't intended to. My advice would be to match the interior color painted surfaces to the exterior if it bugs you. Me, I'd leave it as-is.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:41 PM
Root2812
Instructor

Originally Posted by GTOguy
I agree that your interior paint has faded with age. I also agree that upholstery vinyl seldom matches the exterior color. It wasn't intended to. My advice would be to match the interior color painted surfaces to the exterior if it bugs you. Me, I'd leave it as-is.

The plan is to leave it as is for now and just get the car all back together. Someday I will want to do the interior up right. It just seemed odd that the new upholstery matched the old paint and not the new. I think I will try and polish out the old paint on the part in my picture to see how it matches then.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:46 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Root, you may want to start checking out various GM cars at car shows and events in the upcoming months, just to establish a reference point on interior colors, combos, etc. I did that when I was re-upholstering my Model T and it was a huge help to look at completed cars, some 'correct', others not so much. My '65 GTO is Blue Charcoal on the outside with a medium blue interior, but man, that interior is about 6 different shades of blue. That's the way it came. The red interior in my '61 Corvette isn't a perfect match for the old Roman Red paint, either. I think it's darker red. Good luck with your project and research....(which to me is one of the best parts!)
Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To Frost Blue?

Quick Reply: [C1] Frost Blue?