C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Cutting Crossmember on Lift

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 06:28 PM
daz_au
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Default Cutting Crossmember on Lift

So I have my TKO and I am ready to install. I have the removable crossmember kit (flanges) and I plan to cut the crossmember while up on a 2 post lift and convert it before the TKO install.

Despite all the usual challenges of cutting close to the floor, I am wondering if the frame will "pull apart" when the crossmember is cut. I am considering temporarily welding another brace across to keep it in shape while I weld in the removable piece.

Anybody done this kind of thing before ?
Old 10-25-2016, 08:14 PM
jet-tech
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by daz_au
So I have my TKO and I am ready to install. I have the removable crossmember kit (flanges) and I plan to cut the crossmember while up on a 2 post lift and convert it before the TKO install.

Despite all the usual challenges of cutting close to the floor, I am wondering if the frame will "pull apart" when the crossmember is cut. I am considering temporarily welding another brace across to keep it in shape while I weld in the removable piece.

Anybody done this kind of thing before ?
JB Corvettes in Dallas welded mine in place last winter. They used a two post lift and did not weld any temporary supports to the frame. If any chance of movement of the frame would defeat the purpose of having removable crossmember. You will also need to support the engine or transmission with a jack while crossmember is removed. I'm glad I had this done because I had to remove the new trans again after the through out bearing failed only after only 200 miles. Buy a good quality bearing and don't use the one that comes with the Luk kit.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:08 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,877 Likes on 915 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Shouldn't be a problem. Did mine many years ago.

If if you're concerned you could use s ratchet strap to pull it inward and hold tension while removing and during welding. Better than welding in a temp support

jim.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:35 AM
daz_au
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jet-tech
I'm glad I had this done because I had to remove the new trans again after the through out bearing failed only after only 200 miles.
I hear you. Originally I was just going to pull the engine and set it all up out of the car, I really didn't want to chop the chassis....

Then I started looking at clutches, I am not thrilled with the RAM one I have, so I went for something closer to OEM.... however if that doesn't hold I will be changing it out again for a dual friction.....

Of course then there are the other things that can go wrong with a full transmission swap, so I have decided to just make the cut.

Get notified of new replies

To Cutting Crossmember on Lift

Quick Reply: [C2] Cutting Crossmember on Lift