C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The price of a Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 02:24 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Default The price of a Corvette

What do all of you think about the price of a C 1 or C 2 Corvette these days, even the resto-mods? It looks like to me that the prices are getting out of had as far as the average middle class guy goes as far as trying to buy one. Some (most) of these resto-mods are in excess of $100K and I know that everyone wants to get the most out of there car as they can but dam that is a lot of $$$$. I see some on the Forum for more the the $100K more like $150K and I know a lot of hard work and special parts go into building a car like and some of them look outstanding where will it all stop? I guess when someone builds there car for $155K and know one can pay that much for it or even as much as $100K and then the builder gets to keep it because there are no more buyers at that price. Look at the price of the 63 SWC, just in the lase 3 years the price on them have doubled or more. Sorry but I would bot pay $65K + up to well over a $100K for one just to say I own a 63 SWC. Some of the 63 Resto mods are even going for more then that. Just wondering what the rest of you think about the way the market is going?
The following users liked this post:
Loren Smith (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 02:29 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

some resto-mods I adore and others make me want to puke, so I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder and what he or she is willing to pay.

With the trend being popular right now so goes the price, five years from now....... who knows ?

Last edited by Mikado463; 11-08-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:30 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Supply and demand.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:37 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Mike, my non-scientific data review indicates that prices continue to go up in the 3+ years that I've been paying attention, first to find and buy mine, and now just for entertainment.

I see almost no C2s under 40K that are not near-total projects, and most nice examples are at 50K and more. Add a desirable set of options and some good originality and you're talking 75K or more.

I also see lots of C2s going to overseas buyers, and that's just the legal sales, not the stolen ones. These are sight-unseen buyers and ones clearly with money. If you think a C2 can be expensive here, imagine what it would cost in most overseas locations.

Restomods are another thing altogether, with no price guide, but apparently some deep pocketbooks involved.

In short, I think I agree with you.

What is impossible to tell is when the inflection point will arrive and prices will fall, or at what rate they will fall.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:42 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I'm not a fan of resto-mods more of a if it isn't broke don't fix it kind of guy. I agree on the cost of these cars getting out of hand and if it wasn't for buying low (project) and restoring my C2 myself ($$,$$$) over a 3 year period I don't think I would have pulled the trigger on another C2.

I have been snooping around Craigslist for a 70's GM iron sled, something in the Impala, Monte Carlo, Buick Wildcat, Cadillac Etc.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:43 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

In a small way supply and demand, but not really. Investment options and return on investment has been driving this market for some time now. When interest rates climb back you will see (what some view as) investments such as cars fall. That said, the good stuff not so much.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:47 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

The garden variety C1 prices have taken a hit recently IMO. I think the people that grew up with those cars are getting 'long in the tooth' and are mostly driving scooters now. It took about 9 months to get $65K for my very nice, very original, never hit, '61 two-top, dual quad car and that was with widespread advertising...and it is a 'turn-key' car...

I miss the '61 a bit but it was clearly time to move on....

Well done restomods have risen slightly...also IMO.

Some cars, prob '67 BB and SWCs, are on their own trajectory...

I could restomod my split window for prob $80K-$100K and prob clear $35K+ in profit...

Not doin' it though...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-08-2016 at 02:48 PM.
rfn026 (11-09-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 02:57 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

The problem with all of those high-buck resto-mods is that they are one man's vision . . . it may have cost all that (and more) to build, but most folks who want a car like that want it THEIR way. Very limited audience, IMHO. A stock C1 or C2 Corvette has a small but consistent fan following. The issue there is having the economy catch up to where it enables the folks who would like one to be more of the group that can afford one. I am somewhat doubtful of this happening in any meaningful way for quite a few more years, so I will hang on to the 1962 and enjoy it. My sons, or the grandchildren, can worry about the value. It is, after all, just a toy.
The following 2 users liked this post by fyreline:
ptjsk (11-08-2016), rfn026 (11-09-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 03:19 PM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,268 Likes on 1,689 Posts

I agree about those prices!

Old 11-08-2016, 03:30 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I don't see limited appeal for a well-appointed restomod, with an LS-3 and a modernized chassis, steering, suspension with nice wheels and a killer sound system. What's not to love ? I think the market for that is broad, affordability isn't. Beyond those basics you can do-dad it up to your heart's content with digital gauges, cup holders, beefier stereo, tinted whatever.

I think you have to define restomod - stuffing a ZZ-4 into an engine bay with an Autosound $179 stereo and calling it a restomod don't cut it IMO...

NOTE: My cars are, and have always been, 95% original!
Old 11-08-2016, 03:39 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Proportionally, C1 and C2's have never really been cheap, at least compared to other used cars at the time. In 1980, when clean GTO ragtops were 3k, small block C-1 and C-2 cars went for 6k. When I checked again around 1987, GTO's were going for 6k, and the 'vettes about twice that. I looked at a nice '66 roadster in about 1992 for 18k, which was the going rate, but couldn't afford it. Now, that same car would be about 60k, 25 years later. My salary has more than doubled since then, but. proportionally, that 60k is about the same as 18k was 25 years ago. It's all relative. I got into mine on the cheap because it was a solid car cosmetically, not missing any key parts, but had mechanical issues that I knew I could easily fix. My GTO's I bought over 30 years ago when I was a kid and I just never got rid of them. They are now worth 20-30 times what I paid for them. The custom, high-end resto-mod cars will always be purchased by those who can easily afford them, or will be owned by those who can build them for themselves and not break the bank too hard.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:48 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
What do all of you think about the price of a C 1 or C 2 Corvette these days, even the resto-mods... Just wondering what the rest of you think about the way the market is going?
I love the way the market is going.

People usually preach doom and gloom for the future of C2 Corvettes... if the prices are continuing upward, I think that's great. Love to see the cars worth more.

I think the restomod market is its own category. It seems high-end restomod builds often sell for high-end dollars these days, to people who like them and don't want to have them built. Not sure what the future holds there, but more Corvettes selling for more money trickles down to the whole hobby.
Loren Smith (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 03:52 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Personally, I do not see the sales price of restomods being too high. A lot of old guys want an old-look corvette, that has all the bells and whistles, and they are willing to pay that price.

One could make an argument that some Restomods are being advertised at too high a price, but certianly not sold at too high a price! A car will sell at what the market decides is the value of that car, and not a penny more.

I have built and sold restomods, as well as restored original Corvettes, and I do not believe that I have ever sold a car for one penny more than it was worth. Now, I believe that I have sold a few for less than they were worth, but that too was my decision!

The time and money that goes into a first-class Restomod is substantial in both cases, and you can't regularly sell any product for less than the cost to produce it, or you will go bankrupt soon.

Mike you are correct that the average Joe will not be able to afford a high-end Restomod, or even a first-class restoration, but who is to say that everybody should be able to own one? There are all sorts of luxury items that a small number of people will be able to afford to own, and such a car is simply one of these items. Many people will never be able to afford an exotic European sports car, but that does not mean that they should cost less, it just means that people that have the means to own one, are willing to pay what it takes to own such a finely crafted automobile.
When we get to a point that we will only sell a car that everybody can afford to own, we will all be driving around in Yugos!

Regards, John McGraw

Last edited by John McGraw; 11-08-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:44 PM
MCMLXI
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C1 of the Year Finalist
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Unmodified

So if the trend continues - and a bunch of original or near original Solid Axel and Mid-year cars become resto-mod's.

Question 1:
Does the price of the original cars go down because they are not resto-mod's ?

or

Question 2: Does the price of the original cars go up because there are fewer nice original cars to choose from in the marketplace ?

Old 11-08-2016, 04:50 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Price goes up. Look at 1940 Ford coupes and 1950-51 Mercury 2 door coupes for reference. Unmolested ones are now rare as hens teeth, and bring consistently more coin than the ones that were 'restomodded' back in the day.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:58 PM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Interesting thread.

None the less, I like to build a car that's pleasing to me. I'm not too worried what others think of it, although I do hope they find it appealing. If they don't like it.....so be it.

I like to see modified as well as originals. They are all appealing to me, some more so than others.

Much like several individuals on here, our '62 will not see a "for sale" sign on it while I'm alive. That is unless something catastrophic were to happen. We have had it over 23 years, with the exception of a short time duration of 13 days when it was taken from us, and I just see no reason to sell it now.

I really don't worry about the monetary value, as it brings much more of the "fun" component to our life.

Every time I read about originals versus resto-mods and so forth, I just look toward our local "Hangtown A's" model A club. They have restored originals in great condition that one could pick up for less than 20 thousand dollars. Many as low as 12K or so!

Whereas a modified one will usually bring much more money.

Pat

Last edited by ptjsk; 11-09-2016 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:11 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

The next recession will bring prices down.

Get notified of new replies

To The price of a Corvette

Old 11-09-2016, 01:06 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

The pool of original cars are becoming harder to maintain. If the owner isn't a "wrench" and has to farm work out the technicians that specialize in certain areas are long in the tooth, some have left us, and, others just don't want to do it anymore.

In the past year Bob Kunz (WCFB guru) is trying to sell his business (if he hasn't already), Tom Maxwell (the C1 washer system guru among MANY other talents) and even Lars (master tuner and distributor guru) took a breather.

I don't see people rushing in to fill these gaps...
Old 11-09-2016, 01:11 PM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
The pool of original cars are becoming harder to maintain. If the owner isn't a "wrench" and has to farm work out the technicians that specialize in certain areas are long in the tooth, some have left us, and, others just don't want to do it anymore.

In the past year Bob Kunz (WCFB guru) is trying to sell his business (if he hasn't already), Tom Maxwell (the C1 washer system guru among MANY other talents) and even Lars (master tuner and distributor guru) took a breather.

I don't see people rushing in to fill these gaps...
New techs don't know how to work on the old cars. Distributors, carburators, what's that? If they can't plug a computer into it they are lost.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:27 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Prices of toys have not been going up so much as the U.S. dollar has been going down.

Quick Reply: The price of a Corvette