C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 Top Latch Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 11:53 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Default 67 Top Latch Question

I was out for a ride and all of a sudden my driver side hard top latch started rattling and the top was rattling as well. The latch was loosely in the latch position. The mounting screws for the latch the latch and the latch catch were still tight and nothing moved.
I pulled over and tried to latch the top and the latch would not firmly latch. I even tried to adjust the latch screws to position the latch upward and no joy.
So i slid a small allen wrench in the hook of the latch and then it would latch firmly.
So since nothing else came loose I figured the latch itself "went bad".
I ordered and installed a new latch and it worked fine.

So has anyone heard of the C2 Hardtop/Softtop Latch going bad?? Can the end of the latch- the hook part actually stretch open so it no longer latches correctly?
Mine obviously did and it shows no cracks or damage. Very weird.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:30 PM
NightshiftHD
Drifting

Received 339 Likes on 255 Posts

That is weird. Never heard of a latch hook stretching. I guess it could "go bad" if the hook casting under the chrome had cracked, rendering it with zero strength. Does that old hook look like it might be cracked? Bill
Old 11-15-2016, 12:06 AM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

If the latch (lock) assembly appears OK, you might check the nylon bushing that goes into the header striker. If it's missing or broken, the guide pin fit will not be tight and could be the source of your rattle and loose fit condition.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:53 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike67nv
If the latch (lock) assembly appears OK, you might check the nylon bushing that goes into the header striker. If it's missing or broken, the guide pin fit will not be tight and could be the source of your rattle and loose fit condition.

He said that a new latch fixed the problem so it wasn't the bushing.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:42 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kenba
He said that a new latch fixed the problem so it wasn't the bushing.
Yes the new latch is fine. My bushings are like brand new as well.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:14 PM
newps
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a similar issue. The latch on the drivers side engages and closes with much less force than the one on the passenger side; as a result, there is a gap between the window and the hardtop weatherstrip. I have tried adjusting the latch, but I cannot get it any tighter. Any suggestions?

Also for the bolts that go through the rear plexiglass, is there supposed to be a gap between the glass and the black bracket on the frame? On my top, there appears to be about 1/4 inch. I have not drilled the glass yet, as I want to find out first what the story is with the gaps.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Vette owners!
Old 11-25-2016, 12:52 AM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by newps
I have a similar issue. The latch on the drivers side engages and closes with much less force than the one on the passenger side; as a result, there is a gap between the window and the hardtop weatherstrip. I have tried adjusting the latch, but I cannot get it any tighter. Any suggestions?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Vette owners!
Yes- Buy a new latch

Get notified of new replies

To 67 Top Latch Question

Quick Reply: 67 Top Latch Question