C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1962 hood alignment issue

Old 11-26-2016, 10:50 PM
scottash
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1962 hood alignment issue

We are doing a frame off restore on a 1962 C1. I have run into an issue with the front edge of the hood being approximately 1.5 inches high. There's no info in the St 12 that explains how to get that much adjustment. The radiator core support was not removed from the fiberglass but was of corse unbolted at the steering mounting block. Any direction on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Will shimming the core support fix this issue and if so what is the approved method to get the proper results
Old 11-27-2016, 07:53 AM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

We need some pics of what you're talking about to help with the problem. I wonder if you could have a droopy nose on that car. They were prone to that without the reinforcment strips under the fenders.
I don't know how other to explain that much of a gap.
The following users liked this post:
scottash (11-28-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 08:36 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Yes. That much gap is excessive even as a starting point...something is amiss...

The reinforcement fender bars were '58 only and that would be one helluva lot of nose droop...enough to bust the fenders out over the wheel wells...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 11-27-2016 at 08:38 AM.
scottash (11-28-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 08:46 AM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts

check the attachment of the hinges to the hood. I can set the hood that far up by flipping the hinges when the hood is unbolted.

also set the hood on the car w/o the hinges in place to see if it clears and fits. If it does look at the hinges.

Check spacers where the rad support and body attach to the undercarriage.
scottash (11-28-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 10:39 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,891 Likes on 880 Posts

Yea, 1.5" is a heck of a lot! As Frankie said; something is amiss!!

Pictures will help others to assist you with identifying your problem.

Pat
scottash (11-28-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 01:55 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

As OC said. You have the hinges on backwards. The hood fits "down into" the hinge.
scottash (11-28-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 08:04 PM
scottash
Intermediate

I will check the hinges but am almost certain they are correct. The pivot point on the hinge is set into the notching the parameter of the hood. I will get some pictures and post when I am able to get back to the shop. Thanks guys I really appreciate the thoughts and suggestions.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:51 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 438 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Yeah, take the hinges off and see how it sits down without it. Are you sure you have the correct hinges. Also you can remove the male latches too. Then go from there...

The other thing to check is the radiator support mounted correctly?

Get some pictures.
scottash (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 11:07 AM
scottash
Intermediate

The hood sits the same without the hinges. The purchaser (the one who took it apart before I saw it) states it functioned correctly before disassembly. The only variable that possibly could have changed is the amount of shim at the steering assembly to radiator support bracing. The brace was not removed due to seized bolts. I am leaning toward improperly installed core support but want to exhaust all possibilities before fighting the seized bolts. Again thanks guys!
Old 11-28-2016, 11:17 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by scottash
The hood sits the same without the hinges. The purchaser (the one who took it apart before I saw it) states it functioned correctly before disassembly. The only variable that possibly could have changed is the amount of shim at the steering assembly to radiator support bracing. The brace was not removed due to seized bolts. I am leaning toward improperly installed core support but want to exhaust all possibilities before fighting the seized bolts. Again thanks guys!
You figured it out.

Cut the bolts and replace them. Get new bolts. Plus order a new shim kit. Heck I have a shim kit I am not using.

Corvette Central sells it:
http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50e&ukey=50019

Also check to see if the shims on the cross member are oriented correctly. That would throw it off too.

These are the shims:
http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...50e&ukey=47316

Last edited by jimh_1962; 11-28-2016 at 11:24 AM.
scottash (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 11:54 AM
scottash
Intermediate

I have a new shim kit on site and installed but I intend to uninstall and refit the core support then re-shim the support. This seems to be the only logical approach. I would think I will have to revisit the front body mounts and shim those accordingly. I will consult the ST 12 for tolerances but given the current install of the support and possible "droop" in the nose is there any reference point to measure off of that is constant and preferable?

Last edited by scottash; 11-28-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:53 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I have a new shim kit on site and installed but I intend to uninstall and refit the core support then re-shim the support. This seems to be the only logical approach. I would think I will have to revisit the front body mounts and shim those accordingly. I will consult the ST 12 for tolerances but given the current install of the support and possible "droop" in the nose is there any reference point to measure off of that is constant and preferable?
One of the things I installed were the fender well supports. That really helped stiffen up the front clip. Still without the front radiator support it would droop down slightly.

Do you have the correct radiator support for your year?

1. Check the front cross member shims are installed correctly.

Do the holes in the side fender align with the radiator support?

Get it all shimmed right then lay the hood down and check the gap. You could shore up the front clip to the correct height with the fenders and some wood blocks in the wheel well. Just make sure things are loose enough to work with it. Then start shimming from there.

The cross member shims could cause a problem with aligning the hood.

Hard to tell without pictures. Pictures would help.

side bolts to fender (rotisserie)

Core supporting sitting on body dolly

crossmember shims

Core support installed:

Last edited by jimh_1962; 11-28-2016 at 12:56 PM.
scottash (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 01:24 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

If it reportedly worked/fit correctly before, and doesn't now, and the bolts have been in place so long that they're seized, the LAST thing any worthwhile mechanic would do is start cutting bolts and taking it further apart. You need to find out what is actually wrong, either by studying photos, manuals, or better yet, another actual C1.
scottash (11-29-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 01:34 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by GTOguy
If it reportedly worked/fit correctly before, and doesn't now, and the bolts have been in place so long that they're seized, the LAST thing any worthwhile mechanic would do is start cutting bolts and taking it further apart. You need to find out what is actually wrong, either by studying photos, manuals, or better yet, another actual C1.
Yeah, I guess that's what I getting too. It would help to get some pictures of what was done. We all like to see pictures.

I tried to provide some to show the shims. I know on mine it did not need much shims the radiator support that much to make the gap fit correctly. Each corvette is different. Someone installed something not right.
scottash (11-29-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 02:08 PM
scottash
Intermediate

The shims on the cross member are accurately installed And as GTOguy stated a thorough inspection is in order.

Question: Would the shimming of the body on the frame change the body angle sufficiently enough to affect the front hood line.

I just spoke with the "Mechanic" that removed the hood and he again stated that the hood worked and "fit good". Keeping in mind one persons "Worked and fit good" can be different from another's, I can't see how this is true given the evidence in front of me.

Without a special trip out to the shop I won't be able to post pictures until late Saturday.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:29 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

The shims on the cross member are accurately installed And as GTOguy stated a thorough inspection is in order.

Question: Would the shimming of the body on the frame change the body angle sufficiently enough to affect the front hood line.

I just spoke with the "Mechanic" that removed the hood and he again stated that the hood worked and "fit good". Keeping in mind one persons "Worked and fit good" can be different from another's, I can't see how this is true given the evidence in front of me.

Without a special trip out to the shop I won't be able to post pictures until late Saturday.
The radiator support is the only place where the body and frame connect up in front. The radiator support connects to the inner fenders on the side. The radiator support is then bolted down onto the third arm support which is bolted down underneath the front cross member.

How many shims were used on the front end. Send the pictures over what I have given and compare. The two holes where the top radiator support should look as in the picture above. I can get more pictures tonight if needed. Maybe too many shims were used on the front radiator support if so then the holes on the side inner fender would not line up.

Last edited by jimh_1962; 11-28-2016 at 02:30 PM.
scottash (11-29-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 06:53 PM
scottash
Intermediate

Default Pictureshttp://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/images/smilies/woohoo.gif

Please overlook the blemishes... not my car not my rodeo. Ive included a picture of the "mechanic"

Front hood gap

Left front hinge

Right front hinge .. to be replaced

Radiator support shims<br/>

profile for scale and alignment

Get notified of new replies

To 1962 hood alignment issue

Old 11-28-2016, 06:57 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

wish there were pictures of the side fenders mounted to the radiator support and the radiator support. Are those nuts on the bottom of the support? Or head bolts?

Also should not see any radiator that high up. I will get some pictures... PM me with your phone number and I can text you or email. Else I can probably get them posted later on tomorrow.

Last edited by jimh_1962; 11-28-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:06 PM
scottash
Intermediate

Those are nuts at the bottom of the support. I didn't think to get a picture of the core support and inner fender. I will check to see if I've got anything close.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:40 PM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I think the hinges are left/right. I cannot remember.

driver hinge

fan shroud to support

underneath radiator support

radiator top

passenger side hinge

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1962 hood alignment issue