C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Pricing project cars

Old 12-01-2016, 09:14 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

I don't care how much cheaper a "done" car is than a project car. I'd never buy a "done" car if I was going to drive it because no matter how good it looks, you won't know how good the mechanicals are until they start to break.

I did my car myself, over a 5 year period. It nearly drove me crazy..............well.........actually .it did because I've never been the same ever since. Ha ha boogity boogity. Mike H. should start a Cranky's Corner over here. Dood.

Anyways......I'd drive my Corvette to the moon if there was a road going there.

Besides..........I never worry because I have one a them there Blaster coils in it. I also have a cam in it.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 12-01-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:18 AM
Robert61
Safety Car

Received 1,534 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I scoured the Internet for a year looking for a decent deal for a c1. I bid on several on EBay, learned that more than a few Corvette sites are scams, but I could never quite get the deal sealed. I looked at one about 9 hours away, the vin plate was riveted to the steering column, not registered to the current owner, and he would only take cash. Again too many red flags. I finally found one about 375 miles away that looked promising. I talked to the guy and I said this car was just on EBay a short while back. At the time it was on there I said I would not pay that much for a car that rough. He says sure enough he bought it from the guy after the auction. I don't know if he got a case of buyers remorse or what, he did have a decent finished 63 he bought after this one. So I ended up buying it and paying way too much for it but after a year of looking I said you can't paint what you don't have.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:55 AM
SW Vette
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
I don't care how much cheaper a "done" car is than a project car. I'd never buy a "done" car if I was going to drive it because no matter how good it looks, you won't know how good the mechanicals are until they start to break.
Amen to that, brother.

I like to find a happy medium - a car that the previous owner has already poured all the major funds into and is mechanically solid, looks great, but just needs that final 5% to be fully sorted out. That's the sweet spot for me; I steer clear of the 5 year projects and the cars that already won a blue ribbon.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:24 AM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

You guys have covered it. What Donny said about the 'allure' of a fixer is dead-on...cars that appear to be the real deal, and all there, but literally everything on the car is in need of attention to bring it to even 'driver' status. These cars, along with the hype on television lately where cars are restored in a single week out of boxes that are delivered has the general public convinced that buying a cheap 'fixer' and whipping it into shape is an easy task for just about anybody. I tried to get a fixer '62 Grand Prix about 5 years ago...the car was in a lot where it had been for 30 years, but was not rusty or missing any parts. It needed a complete 30k+ refurbish. I offered $700, the owner 'knew it was worth at least 5 grand'. The car is still there, 5 more years worse for wear, melting into the ground. As a mechanic, I try to buy cars that are in nice enough shape for my taste (I like 'driver' or 'survivor' cars compared to restored ones) that I can do mehcanical repair to to get operational. My '61 I bought last year was such a car. A number 4 car that hadn't run in decades brought to #3- shape in a month for under 2k and driven for the last 18 months and enjoyed. Needs paint, windshield rubber, speedo rebuild, etc., but the chrome is decent, the interior isn't pitted/corroded, and the old, old paint looks good from 10 feet away! The standard and quality of the car are what cost cubic dollars: if you want an NCRS restored car at the end of the day, buy one that already is!
Old 12-01-2016, 10:48 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GTOguy
You guys have covered it. What Donny said about the 'allure' of a fixer is dead-on...cars that appear to be the real deal, and all there, but literally everything on the car is in need of attention to bring it to even 'driver' status. These cars, along with the hype on television lately where cars are restored in a single week out of boxes that are delivered has the general public convinced that buying a cheap 'fixer' and whipping it into shape is an easy task for just about anybody. I tried to get a fixer '62 Grand Prix about 5 years ago...the car was in a lot where it had been for 30 years, but was not rusty or missing any parts. It needed a complete 30k+ refurbish. I offered $700, the owner 'knew it was worth at least 5 grand'. The car is still there, 5 more years worse for wear, melting into the ground. As a mechanic, I try to buy cars that are in nice enough shape for my taste (I like 'driver' or 'survivor' cars compared to restored ones) that I can do mehcanical repair to to get operational. My '61 I bought last year was such a car. A number 4 car that hadn't run in decades brought to #3- shape in a month for under 2k and driven for the last 18 months and enjoyed. Needs paint, windshield rubber, speedo rebuild, etc., but the chrome is decent, the interior isn't pitted/corroded, and the old, old paint looks good from 10 feet away! The standard and quality of the car are what cost cubic dollars: if you want an NCRS restored car at the end of the day, buy one that already is!
I disagree.

I'll never do another car the way I did mine, ever again. Took a LOT of money, and was a labor of love. Mine is an NCRS restoration that has been "improved". Looks almost like a brand new 1965, but with superb fit and finish...............overrestored as the NCRS geeks like to say. But, I built mine to drive, race, and enjoy, so even though it LOOKS like an original 1965 from 10 feet away, it's not. Not a true restomod, either, because all mods are subtle, except for the headers and 5 speed which are not.

Not only exposed mechanicals, but stuff like the seat tracks, in which I replaced the rollers. For those who don't know........the rollers are really heavy springs.

I completely rebuilt everything, and I mean, EVERYTHING on my car. Yes, I even rewound the headlight motors and the WSW solenoid.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 12-01-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:07 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 438 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Donny Brass
I could not wrap my head around the whole "I wanna by your barn find, and I don't mind that everytime you slam the door the rust pile underneath gets bigger."

Then it occurred to me, if you show up with a ne girlfriend and she is hot, the guy kinda stay away and show respect. However, if you show up with a really slutty girl, all the dudes come around figuring they have a shot at her.

The barn find is just a slutty girlfriend and everyone thinks they have a shot at fixing it up.
You nailed it!
Old 12-01-2016, 11:31 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jrm5657
OK, now you are teasing us. You must have got the deal of a lifetime to have a 67 coupe at this stage for $8K. You have got to post a picture of what it looked like when you started!
Actually wasn't "the deal of a lifetime" when I bought it. Paid $3,000 in 1973, drove it 5 years as my only vehicle on the salty Pa. roads with snow tires, etc. Engine started to smoke, I had a 65 convertible and a 76 Coupe by then, pushed it into the back of the garage to save for a retirement project. Took it totally apart in 1983, and suffered "racecar interuptise" until 2013.

So what you see in the pics represents $4-$5k in parts and paint materials (the good PPG paint).
Obviously there's a chit-load of labor here including cutting off half the front glass to repair 1970's body shop screw ups (why, like some here say, "I wouldn't buy a "done" car").
I do all my own work except engine machining (only because I don't have the equipment).

Getting back to what the OP said, yea, you can do a lot for $20k.

I'll finish up this car for another $15k.
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2016, 11:53 AM
slalomfiend
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 26 Posts

I love the girlfriend analogy! As far as the barn find vs. project car terminology goes, mine was a shop find. Non working/non corvette 327/190 HP engine but all the trim was there with clean title. To your point, the cost of a same/same car now has doubled from what I paid 5 years ago.

I wanted one this way so I could make sure the work was done right - I've seen WAY too many "restorations" that were just 20 footer paint jobs and absolutely no work on the undercarriage except for rattle can semi-gloss black paint. Why buy a $50k car that you still have to take apart and "fix" everything??

Got mine for the right price and will have a sweet car I know I can drive anywhere/anytime. Doing all the work myself so I get tons of satisfaction in that!! Best thing is my sweat equity is going to reap zillions at a rate of $0.67 per hour!!

Funny - when I bought it all my friends and their wives developed "stank face" when they first saw it. One said she wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Now they are all asking if I'm going to let them drive it when I'm done...

Old 12-01-2016, 11:59 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Yeah - I still ask about this 'project' across the street but the nephew (in Ohio) of the elderly owner is gonna 'fix it up someday'. Yeah right ? Triple black '67 GTO with racing provenance.

And yes, I'm fully aware how much work it needs
Attached Images    
Old 12-01-2016, 12:09 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by slalomfiend
I wanted one this way so I could make sure the work was done right -
Yep, done right.

Nice, is that Elkhart, Lyndale or a custom color?
Old 12-01-2016, 12:46 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

A lot of the replies speak of "being upside down" or "underwater" if you buy for X amount etc. Those several replies all seem to focus on the ultimate goal being a profit, or at least break even.

For some of us, the fun or the reason is the accomplishment of taking a POS and making it whole again even tho it might cost more. What is a '66 Chevy 3/4 ton worth in great condition? I don't know, but I'm restoring the one I have owned for 30+ years which is a total rustbucket. I know damn well I'll have more into it than I'll ever be able to get back. But I'm having fun doing it. How do you put a dollar value on "fun"? It varies with each individual.

I am casually (as opposed to actively) looking for a '64 vert project. No, I don't want something that was dragged from a quarry bottom after 20 years, but I AM willing to get something which needs a bunch of work. My son has a car in the second garage now (I told him he could store it a couple-3 years, we're coming up on 4 now!) When that leaves probably next spring, I'll have room for a C-2 hole to sprinkle (or pour) my money into. And I'll smile while doing it (at least some of the time! )
Old 12-01-2016, 12:58 PM
65VetteVert
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree, you can probably buy a finished car for less than the cost to bring a project car to NCRS standards.

But a driver can be built for much less. The best deal is someone's stalled project car. The car that has had a lot of work already done. The car where the buyer has been to the swap meets and Bloomington Gold shows for years and bought many, many, parts. Then he tires of it, or runs out of time...

I bought just such a project 19 months ago. I love my time spent out in the shop. And being semi-retired, I have the time. I don't care if I make a dime off my time spent on this car, I've wanted a C2 roadster since I was 10 years old!

I will have this car on the road this spring, good sound mechanicals, with new paint and interior, for around $20K total investment. See my build thread on this forum for proof...
Old 12-01-2016, 01:00 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

I should add that despite some of us putting fun over "profit", the prices for projects are way out of line in many cases. Even fun has its limits, and some of what you see out there are overpriced if they were offered for a dollar.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:12 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 6850mike
"If u don't have the funds don't bother calling. Not interested in trades or shooting the bull. Thanks"

I'm guessing he can get a lot of uninterrupted naps in at that price!

It says "one owner" so the seller would be the one who bought it new? I'm guessing it's at least a 2-owner by now!
Old 12-01-2016, 02:52 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jv04
OK, I want to get ya'lls thoughts on this. I know what I think, what do ya'll think.

I think we all pretty much agree that we can buy a completed car for less money than it would cost to buy a project and compete the restoration.

That is usually the case. Yes, exceptions do occur, but generally that is a true statement.

Now, if we can buy a completed car for X amount of dollars, we "should" be able to buy a project car for X amount of dollars MINUS the cost to restore the car to the same level of a completed car.

I am not talking about buying a project car, and sending it to a shop to get completed. I am talking about a project car where the buyer does most / all of the work.

Makes sense, right.

Unfortunately, not much about this hobby makes sense.

I often wonder where project car sellers get their prices.

Perhaps they paid too much, or perhaps they have too much invested.

It seems to me that sellers of completed cars are generally more willing to accept a loss on a car than sellers of project cars.

An example (the cars are made up to protect the "whatever").

Lets say the completed car is a very nice driver quality (not quite top flight, but could be gotten the car to that level fairly easily).

Lets say the project car is a running and driving car that needs paint, interior, engine and trans cleaned up (but not rebuilt), and chassis cleaned up. All of the same parts that are on the completed car are also on the project car.

A nice driver quality (as described above) 1959 Corvette, 230hp, 4 speed, posi rear end, and red with black interior. Price is $65K.

The same car, as a project car (as described above) 1959 Corvette, 230hp, 4 speed, posi rear end, and red with black interior. Price is $45K.

The cost to get the project car to the level of the completed car SHOULD BE no more than $20K, right?

Doing the work yourself (or lets say most of the work except for paint and body), can anyone reasonably take the project car to a nice quality driver car for $20K?

Here are the things that you have to do to the project (assign your own cost to each item)

1. Clean and paint the chassis and suspension parts, replace soft parts.

2. Clean and paint engine and transmission, replace soft parts.

3. Restore interior components (dash, doors, seats, carpet, etc.)

4. Restore soft top components.

5. Prep body and paint body exterior and interior. Lets say this car has a no hit body and is already painted red, but needs a re-paint to get it to the next level.

Can items 1 - 5 be done for $20K, and completed to a nice driver car level for 20K?

Thoughts?
There are 2 things about your post that jump out at me right away:

1. Many people are misinformed that a "NCRS 'Quality(?)'" restoration is the most expensive. It is not, simply because an NCRS "quality" restoration ends with sloppy coachwork and a paint job that could have been done by Earl Scheib back in the day for 100 bucks. Not to mention all the other shortcuts taken back in the good old days in order to "get them out the door"..........like crappy/nonexistent masking, using a sledgehammer to "straighten" things, sloppy application of adhesives and weatherproofing, missing parts, missing fasteners, loose fasteners, etc etc etc.

2. Items 1-5 at the end of your post for 20K? Not on your life. Unless the "restorer" is band-aiding a project in order to make a profit, and covers rather than fix problems that show up during the process. Not to mention that..................anybody doing even a half-assed restoration will tear down at least the engine, trans, diff, trailing arms for a full rebuild. Notice I didn't even mention the front and rear suspension components. That would be a three-quarter-assed restoration.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 12-01-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:55 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by SW Vette
Amen to that, brother.

I like to find a happy medium - a car that the previous owner has already poured all the major funds into and is mechanically solid, looks great, but just needs that final 5% to be fully sorted out. That's the sweet spot for me; I steer clear of the 5 year projects and the cars that already won a blue ribbon.
I bought a 69 SS Camaro clone like that about 10 years ago. The seller did everything to a very high level, and lost interest when all that was left to do was the seats and headliner and door panels.

That was a heck of a deal, but we don't run into those very often.

I finished the car, drove it for a while, then sold it for a nice profit.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:02 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

You guys have hit the nail right on the head.

$$$ for project car should = $$$ for completed car minus cost to get project completed.

Unfortunately, it does not work that way.

I see so many project cars that are, in my opinion, significantly overpriced. Either that or the comparable completed cars are significantly underpriced (and not selling - NOT).

The upside to project cars is:
1. Get to do it how you want it
2. Don't put out all the cash at once
3. The pleasure of doing your own work

And I suspect that there would be more project cars sold if the sellers thought about what it would really cost to complete the car before listing the car for sale.

Having said that, it is the seller's car, and they can ask whatever they want.

Get notified of new replies

To Pricing project cars

Old 12-02-2016, 12:56 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

I originally bought my car to be just a "driver". It had "good bones" regarding the frame and birdcage. It had decent paint, body, interior and original drive train. It also ran but, I knew it needed much sorting out mechanically since it was on a non-op for 15 years.

After around a year and about 6k it was road worthy BUT, I just couldn't stop! The engine bay and underside was looking good sooooo, I thought I'd spruce up the interior. Just a little mind you.

Well, you know the rest. It started with a new headliner and I wound up refurbishing the whole interior! Thank God the dash pads were good, they were the ONLY things I didn't need to replace, recover or paint.

Now, the chrome, emblems, stainless, rocker moldings and paint looked like crap plus, it was repainted the wrong color by the PO, sooooo, you guessed it, a complete exterior restoration!

Another classic case of PCD (project creep disease)

The bottom line is I too, have gotten a certain amount of "pleasure" (for me it's more of a sense of pride) along with many hours of "frustration" combined with lots of learning experience from working on and, restoring my car. I'm probably somewhat underwater on it but, I love it and I don't give a hoot about what I've spent in money or labor. To me, the biggest payoff is having done much of the work myself and, the fact that I KNOW exactly what I have!

Gary

Last edited by Gary's '66; 12-02-2016 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:00 AM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,042 Likes on 574 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I too will only buy projects. I know ever sq. in. of the car when it is done. I just bought 2 1957 chevy Nomads that I can't wait to get into.
Attached Images  

Last edited by 65 Pro Vette; 12-02-2016 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:15 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,589 Likes on 661 Posts

I was looking for a 57 that needed everything.
I ended up with one that was a driver, so he said, at a low price.
It did drive but needed to be redone, exactly what I wanted to do.

I think that why the price was so low, is that because everybody that had seen it, realized that it needed everything and because they were looking for a driver that they could finish cheaply, they passed on it.

On another line of thought, I am now looking for some kind of a project for about $1500 that I can spend some time on. (I need to keep my hands busy)

I set the search parameters for $1500. There were a lot of cars that the owners thought were worth just $1500.

I then raised the price to $2500. Same thing, many cars at $2500.

BUT! same trash! It seems that people pick a price out of the air and think they can get it!

Last edited by Roger Walling; 12-02-2016 at 09:15 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pricing project cars