C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

67 435 HP engine. ORIGINAL vs. not. Value

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 08:49 PM
roberts427
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

Default 67 435 HP engine. ORIGINAL vs. not. Value

Talking documented real 435's. Looking for some thoughts on cars that have their KNOWN documented original engines, how much more of a value do they have. 5K 10K 20K 80K ?? Talking 67 435's HP. Thanks

Last edited by roberts427; 12-28-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:25 PM
bluzrocker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default real 435'5

40-50k

Originally Posted by roberts427
Talking documented real 435's. Looking for some thoughts on cars that have their KNOWN documented original engines, how much more of a value do they have. 5K 10K 20K 80K ?? Talking 67 435's HP. Thanks
Old 12-28-2016, 09:41 PM
SBR
Safety Car

Received 678 Likes on 382 Posts

Depends on the color, options etc. The more desirable the car, the higher the premium is for cars with no issues.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:53 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

I think $50K is a stretch.

I know of two people that paid that kind of money for the original 67 L88 engines for their cars.

One way to do this is see:

1. What known original 435 cars with original engines are selling for?
2. What known original 435 cars with NOM engines are selling for?
3. What is the delta?

And no, it is not quite that easy, because you have to compare apples to apples, or figure out how to adjust if you only have oranges to compare to apples.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:31 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

I don't know what the premium is- I would
guess $30k based on hanging around here a while. In reality, as someone posted recently- numbers matching used to mean a slightly used c2 a few years old hadn't been thrashed on. Now you often have no idea what a car has endured, original engine or not, when it's sitting pristine with fresh chalk marks all over. That begs the question- why roll the dice on paying a "whole other cars" worth for a set of numbers on a tiny pad? A pad that turns out to be faked all the time!

The Corvette p*ssing contest of mine is more rare than his-yours-theirs is tiresome. There are lots of excellent reasons to buy a c2- but aren't the best of them because of the ignition of your senses? The visceral sound of it firing up cold in the garage? The aura being wrapped in an era moving away from us - one where we made great things in our country and didn't receive their major assemblies in crates from overseas?

wow, I got off topic- God Bless America where we can buy and sell as the market will bear, but when the market is so wild for a numbers matching motor it starts to remind me of South Florida real estate.

To the OP- forgive me. I hope you buy an awesome 435 that really STIRS your SOUL!
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (12-30-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 09:15 AM
SBR
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jv04
I think $50K is a stretch.

I know of two people that paid that kind of money for the original 67 L88 engines for their cars.

One way to do this is see:

1. What known original 435 cars with original engines are selling for?
2. What known original 435 cars with NOM engines are selling for?
3. What is the delta?

And no, it is not quite that easy, because you have to compare apples to apples, or figure out how to adjust if you only have oranges to compare to apples.
I respectfully disagree with regards to a black or red car or one with great options. There is a real black with blue interior 435 convertible going to cross the block in a couple of weeks with Mecum. Real car, with a real motor and tags. They also have a real documented black with red 435 coupe but with a restamped motor. I would be willing to bet that the convertible will sell for more than twice what the coupe goes for and it has little to do with the fact that one is a coupe and the other is a convertible. I'm not going to comment whether I feel this is justified or not but it is what it is with regards to the high end super desirable cars.

Last edited by SBR; 12-29-2016 at 09:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Vernon (01-01-2017)
Old 12-29-2016, 10:28 AM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 249 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

I agree with SBR. The difference in value will vary depending on the desirability of the car. But perhaps a minimum difference could be best expressed in a percentage of difference in value for the same car with or without it's original engine, and I'm going to guess that would be at least 35%, but more on certain rare cars. That's for a REAL, documented ORIGINAL motor car. For some people, that's just what trips their trigger. There's nothing anymore wrong about that than there is for some to like C2s more than C1s. Unfortunately that has given rise to the counterfeit market, but there are still some real, provable original motor 435s. They're not all fakes. And we don't know if Robert is buying, selling, or neither.

Last edited by Todd H.; 12-29-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:57 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I was assuming "all other things being equal", one car is known original engine, then other is not.

So the other desirability of the car is almost a constant (I say almost) when calculating value.

So, lets throw a wrench into this equation.

One car has a known all original engine, the other car has a unknown but undetectable from original engine.

Let's face it, this is the real world we live in.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:20 PM
SBR
Safety Car

Don't know if throwing wrenches provides any value to the thread. That said, there is no exact formula or answer to the OPs question. It all comes down to what someone is willing to pay.

Last edited by SBR; 12-29-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:36 PM
Todd H.
Drifting

Generally the car with the KNOWN documented original engine, to use the OP's terminology, will still demand a premium. These cars do exist. Their rarity only adds to their value.

So much of this is useless hypothetical speculation, at least from me, because I'm not in the market. Difficult to predict what any given deep-pocketed individual is going to do on any given day in terms of what he or she will pay for any given car.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:53 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Todd H.
Generally the car with the KNOWN documented original engine, to use the OP's terminology, will still demand a premium. These cars do exist. Their rarity only adds to their value.

So much of this is useless hypothetical speculation, at least from me, because I'm not in the market. Difficult to predict what any given deep-pocketed individual is going to do on any given day in terms of what he or she will pay for any given car.
Agreed, but how much of a premium.

I suspect that the premium is a percentage of the car's value, and not a absolute dollar value. That would also account for more desirable cars.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:19 PM
roberts427
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

I was assuming "all other things being equal", one car is known original engine, then other is not.

So the other desirability of the car is almost a constant (I say almost) when calculating value.

So, lets throw a wrench into this equation.

One car has a known all original engine, the other car has a unknown but undetectable from original engine.

Let's face it, this is the real world we live in.
So if a car has a documented original 435 with all sorts of options vs a car that has a documented original 435 with minimal options is the % of the increase the same.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:39 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB

The Corvette p*ssing contest of mine is more rare than his-yours-theirs is tiresome. There are lots of excellent reasons to buy a c2- but aren't the best of them because of the ignition of your senses? The visceral sound of it firing up cold in the garage? The aura being wrapped in an era moving away from us - one where we made great things in our country and didn't receive their major assemblies in crates from overseas?

Old 12-30-2016, 07:15 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by roberts427
So if a car has a documented original 435 with all sorts of options vs a car that has a documented original 435 with minimal options is the % of the increase the same.
Probably not.

With some effort we could put together an equation (what can I say, I AM a rocket scientist) that calculates the approximate value of a given car, plus the approximate increases for options, desirable colors, etc.

Realistically, the best info would be actual sales data that could be organized in a database.

Too much effort for too volatile of a market.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:57 AM
rsinor
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 362 Likes on 168 Posts

Probably not.

With some effort we could put together an equation (what can I say, I AM a rocket scientist) that calculates the approximate value of a given car, plus the approximate increases for options, desirable colors, etc.

Realistically, the best info would be actual sales data that could be organized in a database.

Too much effort for too volatile of a market.
Ed, the hardest part of that suggestion may be finding verifiable sales, so many of the real cars trade hands privately. The reserve auctions hammer cars sold that are not sold, or run reserve cars to the unrealistic reserve number and claim it was a real bid.

Last edited by rsinor; 12-30-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:04 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
I don't know what the premium is- I would
guess $30k based on hanging around here a while. In reality, as someone posted recently- numbers matching used to mean a slightly used c2 a few years old hadn't been thrashed on. Now you often have no idea what a car has endured, original engine or not, when it's sitting pristine with fresh chalk marks all over. That begs the question- why roll the dice on paying a "whole other cars" worth for a set of numbers on a tiny pad? A pad that turns out to be faked all the time!

wow, I got off topic- God Bless America where we can buy and sell as the market will bear, but when the market is so wild for a numbers matching motor it starts to remind me of South Florida real estate.

To the OP- forgive me. I hope you buy an awesome 435 that really STIRS your SOUL!
You hit the nail on the head. The only way that I would absolutely certain that the engine is the one that it left the factory with is if I bought it from the original owner & the engine has never been out of the Corvette with all the factory gaskets ETC with all factory paperwork. That said I don't see why that one piece of a Corvette has to be original factory stamped as long as the VIN/TRIM tags are real factory installed
Old 12-30-2016, 02:17 PM
Todd H.
Drifting

Some people have been willing to pay extra for old Corvettes (and other collectable cars) that have their original engines for several decades. For those that think this is silly, at least the NOM Corvette they want should be cheaper than an OM car.

As Roy says, reliable price data from recent sales of OM '67 L71s is impossible to gather so that we might implement jv04's equation. But even if we could, what people have done in the recent past is not necessarily a good predictor of what they will do; even in the near future. What if that next buyer just has to have a green/green OM '67 L71 convt. with shoulder harness, and he/she doesn't care about anything else? What if it has to be a blue/black coupe with headrests? I don't think it breaks down easily so that we might assign even percentage values to options, though certain high demand rare color combos seem to draw a premium.

Get notified of new replies

To 67 435 HP engine. ORIGINAL vs. not. Value

Old 12-30-2016, 06:57 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd H.
Some people have been willing to pay extra for old Corvettes (and other collectable cars) that have their original engines for several decades. For those that think this is silly, at least the NOM Corvette they want should be cheaper than an OM car.

As Roy says, reliable price data from recent sales of OM '67 L71s is impossible to gather so that we might implement jv04's equation. But even if we could, what people have done in the recent past is not necessarily a good predictor of what they will do; even in the near future. What if that next buyer just has to have a green/green OM '67 L71 convt. with shoulder harness, and he/she doesn't care about anything else? What if it has to be a blue/black coupe with headrests? I don't think it breaks down easily so that we might assign even percentage values to options, though certain high demand rare color combos seem to draw a premium.
Clearly there is a large difference in potential pricing for such vehicles. There are few black/blue big blocks documented. There was that black/blue 400 HP convertible that sold for $600K a year or so ago. Green cars just don't sell for as much, perhaps because there are more of them in the market. There are a bunch of factors that can really drive the price up:
- OM versus NOM
- Color
- Restored versus "Survivor"
- Documented with iron clad history versus undocumented

I don't think options are a real big factor. For many cars, a high option car might lend to a higher transaction price. But for 435s, a low optioned car is likely to have lived a more interesting life.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:51 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rsinor
Ed, the hardest part of that suggestion may be finding verifiable sales, so many of the real cars trade hands privately. The reserve auctions hammer cars sold that are not sold, or run reserve cars to the unrealistic reserve number and claim it was a real bid.
I concur Roy.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:44 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by bb62
Clearly there is a large difference in potential pricing for such vehicles. There are few black/blue big blocks documented. There was that black/blue 400 HP convertible that sold for $600K a year or so ago. Green cars just don't sell for as much, perhaps because there are more of them in the market. There are a bunch of factors that can really drive the price up:
- OM versus NOM
- Color
- Restored versus "Survivor"
- Documented with iron clad history versus undocumented

I don't think options are a real big factor. For many cars, a high option car might lend to a higher transaction price. But for 435s, a low optioned car is likely to have lived a more interesting life.
I would somewhat disagree. My 435 Maroon Conv. has J-56 brakes & real Side exhaust which I believe makes it worth more than a no option 435. I agree about most other options with the exception of L-89.

Quick Reply: 67 435 HP engine. ORIGINAL vs. not. Value