C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

photobucket tagalong app's

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 12:51 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts

Default photobucket tagalong app's

What is it with these app's that pop up all too regularly when opening a photobucket pic. 'You've won a gift card' or several different dire warning 'virus' cleaners end up taking over the screen. What to do but delete and reopen back to the forum web page.
Annoying as heck. ..
​​​​​​​John
Old 12-01-2016, 12:56 PM
plaidside
Safety Car

Received 1,122 Likes on 550 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I do not know about the pop ups because I have not been on the site in over a year.
But just lately I get two to three emails a day from photobucket in my junk folder. I just delete them.
Joe
Old 12-01-2016, 01:27 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,950 Posts

If you have a free account it's just one of their many ways to try to extort you into becoming a paid customer. I recently went through this when they said I had exceeded my free account limit (huh - wonder who let that happen), locked me out and extorted me for a years worth of paid account to give me my photos back. You can't believe how much smoother Photobucket has become for me now that they actually have my ransom money - and a charge card set up for re-occurring annual payments.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:54 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Technically those pop-ups are called "java bombs"...if you've ever mistakenly stumbled (heh, heh) onto an aggressively managed **** site they can flood your system with creepy ads.

There are several free facilities to deal with them Malwarebytes, Ad Blocker, Ghostery, ublock and DeCentraleyes.

I run them ALL as they each deal with divergent aspects of spyware. I selected this suite because there is no noticeable performance 'hit' when browsing...

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 12-02-2016 at 10:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mikem350 (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 11:02 AM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 544 Likes on 314 Posts

Dan, I remember you mentioned about the Photobucket account lockout recently. It's been a while since I accessed my Photobucket account so maybe a surprise is in store. Looks like these guys can do the suck blood out of a turnip thing now.
​​​​​​​John
Old 12-02-2016, 01:09 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg
Dan, I remember you mentioned about the Photobucket account lockout recently. It's been a while since I accessed my Photobucket account so maybe a surprise is in store. Looks like these guys can do the suck blood out of a turnip thing now.
​​​​​​​John
Yep - the free account is 2 GB but I had an extra .1 GB bonus or something. It started saying you are close to using up all of your account storage and at some point refused to load any more. No problem, if it was full it was full - for about a year if I needed to load a couple new photos I would go through and find a few I could delete and then load up to replace them. That worked for awhile but then I got tired of looking for photos to delete so after awhile I decided to open a Flicker account and just leave the Photobucket account as was - full.

Apparently that was OK for about 6 months and then Photobucket didn't like being ignored - or decided I was ripe for extortion - or decided I was no longer just full, but over full - and locked me out of my account. Took away my photo property.

Blood sucking turnips is right.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:26 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Mine has been a little odd this week. I have no trouble getting in and using the pictures I have saved, but when I go to "upload" I get stuck in a loop where it keeps asking me to log in over and over. Weird.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:40 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Maybe time to switch to Cloud storage!

Get notified of new replies

To photobucket tagalong app's

Quick Reply: photobucket tagalong app's