C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] side glass install

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 10:03 AM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Default side glass install

One of my windows had some sort of adhesive which of course was not original. The other, however looked original, and had a rubber spacer block in the rear end of the track. Has anyone found a spacer in an original window between the glass and the stainless? Not knowing the full history of the car I could be off base.

I just received my grip strips and have installed one using the marks from where the window was mounted previously. I am concerned I do not have the glass properly aligned. Is there a measurement form either end of the glass I should be aiming toward? I don't find this in the AIM. Maybe this was a sub-assembly?

Is it ok that the grip strip splits and tears at the edge of the stainless as I hammer it in place? I would be cutting it even anyway, right? Much of it split and tore as I knocked it in place.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:56 AM
gccch
Drifting

am also having a heck of a time installing the glass. Not sure if I am doing this right.

I have the rear track in place - and have also tried it with the rear track sitting loose in the door.

Can anyone explain the proper installation procedure? And if there are any parts that must not be in the way?

Ugh.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:00 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,942 Likes on 4,781 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

the last time I did this I got the window setting tape placed it in the sash. centered the glass in the sash and pushed the glass in and called it a day. then placed the assembly in the felt and fastened it to the regulator
Old 12-02-2016, 12:42 PM
srl57
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by gccch
am also having a heck of a time installing the glass. Not sure if I am doing this right.

I have the rear track in place - and have also tried it with the rear track sitting loose in the door.

Can anyone explain the proper installation procedure? And if there are any parts that must not be in the way?

Ugh.
The Corvette Service Manual give you the installation procedure for the glass. The rear track goes in last.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:06 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

The sash tape comes in various widths, can you measure yours?

Some pics regarding glass install:

Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
gccch (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 04:18 PM
gccch
Drifting

Originally Posted by buns

Some pics regarding glass install:

I think that was my problem. I had about 1/4 inch gap there. I adjusted and got the first window in place. I don't get how the rear track can go in after the glass.I was trying to maneuver that and gave up. I had it set in place and was able to slide it in.

Last edited by gccch; 12-02-2016 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:03 PM
gccch
Drifting

Originally Posted by buns
Mine is 1.5 inches wide. I managed to get the second one in and tried again at doing the rear track after the glass was in. Very tricky, but I managed to do it. The other side the track was in place but the top of the front guide was overly stressed (as was I).

Glad that is over with.

Get notified of new replies

To side glass install

Quick Reply: [C2] side glass install