C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Brake light circuit issues.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 08:37 PM
LiLR3dVette
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light circuit issues.

Hey everyone Im new to the forum and Im having issues with my 61'. The brake lights keep popping the fuse randomly. This usually only happens when i have the head lights on and i hit the brakes. not all of the time but randomly it does this. I only started noticing due to the fact i had been driving at night more often and the dash lights would go dark.

I have a Corvette service guide, and looked at the wire diagram and found that the black and orange wires at the light switch look ok. Orange wire runs to the stop lamp switch while the black wire runs to the tail lights for the stop and turn signal circuits. im leaning towards the brake switch but want to make sure im on the right track. the turn signal switch has been replaced as well with no changes. If any one else has had this issue or have an idea any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:06 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

It would be odd for a brake light switch to cause the fuse to blow, unless it was somehow shorting to ground, or if it has a radio noise suppression capacitor across it and that is shorting. You need to pin down more closely what is happening when it blows. Is it when you put the brakes on, or just driving. There is voltage to the brake switch all the time, but to the turn signals only when key is on, and to tail lights only when headlight switch or park lights are on.
When the fuse blows, does it black the inside of the fuse, or does the center just melt? Are you confident that you have the correct amperage fuse? You should be able to turn on the headlights and have someone watch the lights for you. Cycle through turn signals and brakes with the headlights on and see what the combination is that blows it. An intermittent blowing fuse problem is usually when a device draws a little more current than it should. Does it have original style bulbs in all the sockets? Do ALL the lights work properly? The only thing that ties the voltage together for the brakes and tail lights is the bulbs, and they use different filaments. Until it gets more consistent it may be hard to pin down.
If the contacts in the fuse panel are corroded, they can generate enough heat to melt the fuse even when there is no short.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:41 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

I had a similar issue like yours and the problem was in the headlight switch. One of the poles on the switch got loose and intermittingly was shorting out. A new Delco 5096 switch solved the problem.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:59 PM
LiLR3dVette
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the fuses are the correct amperage. All the lights work perfectly like they should. all bulbs are correct style and bulb type. The wiring has never been messed with or spliced. The car was usually driven in the day hardly any night driving so i really never had issues. i just had noticed coming to a stop when the brakes were used that's when the fuse would blow only if the headlights were on. never had this happen with the headlights off. With daylight savings time and it getting darker sooner i was getting a few more cruises in before putting her away since the weather was still good. Donald I will look into the light switch since it seems to make more sense than a brake switch. i will need to do some continuity tests to determine the culprit.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake light circuit issues.

Quick Reply: [C1] Brake light circuit issues.