C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 11:08 PM
my63vette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Carpet

I'm looking to install the carpet in my 63 Roadster but had a few questions I'm hoping someone can shed some light on for me.

I've already installed aluminum backed "Hushmat" in the car and still have the ACC 1/2 thick sound deadener in the box. I've never used this stuff and I'm wondering if I really need to install it under the carpet or not. It's thick, and appears it may be a nightmare to glue the carpet to. I'm thinking I could just glue the carpet to the Hushmat but not sure if I need to use the deadener too or if the Hushmat will be enough.

Anyone been in my position before ?
Old 12-03-2016, 07:21 AM
AkrHack
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 183 Posts

I'm no expert on but I am currently at the point where I'm researching carpet installation for my 67 convertible. What I'm finding is that you have to be concerned with the total thickness of what you install under your carpet. The carpet sets won't fit right if the thickness of your underlayment is either too thin or too thick. The carpet vendors design their carpet sets to fit best with an underlayment thickness that matches what came from the factory. For example in 1967, there was a sound deadener first with jute padding on top of that. What type of underlayment that was used for 1963 cars may or may not be the same.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:27 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

I would think something 1/2"ness thick on TOP of sound deadener already installed would have problems. I wouldn't do it. Of course, you can test fit everything and see if it would work but I feel you'll run into problems somewhere....
Old 12-03-2016, 01:18 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

with Frankie, you may want to test fit a small section before going whole hog into that project. If you are wanting to know the best deal on carpet PM me and I will let you know where and how to save some $$$$ and get great carpet if you have not bought yours yet. Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Carpet

Quick Reply: Carpet