C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Tips/Easiest Way To Remove Headlamp Bucket Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 09:47 PM
D-FRESH3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tips/Easiest Way To Remove Headlamp Bucket Motor?

I'm going to remove my headlamp bucket motor on my 66 to grease it and check the gear inside. It keeps getting stuck. What is the easiest way to get at it and remove it? Any tips? As you all know it's in a tough spot. This is my first vette and my first attempt at fixing the motor. Thank you.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:53 PM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

Put a pin in the hood support. I lay a mirror in there so I can see what I'm doing. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:03 PM
quahog
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Default headlight motor removal

Originally Posted by D-FRESH3
I'm going to remove my headlamp bucket motor on my 66 to grease it and check the gear inside. It keeps getting stuck. What is the easiest way to get at it and remove it? Any tips? As you all know it's in a tough spot. This is my first vette and my first attempt at fixing the motor. Thank you.
First open the hood, get a mirror and put in front of the radiator. Take a good look at the motor, loosen the bracket, disconnect the wiring and remove the motor it slides out towards the center of the car then take it out thru the gap between the hood and the nose of the car. It's much easier if the hood is off . Hope this helps Jeff
Old 12-04-2016, 10:08 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Or Pull the hood...

Either one...

Disconnect batter before you start...
Get out your AIM to see the connection of the 'hairpin' so you know where its at to remove...
Remove the ground on the motor...
Remove electrical the plug on motor...
Remove hairpin...
Slide of motor...

Reverse steps...

Last edited by 66jack; 12-04-2016 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:08 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Agree, absolutely make sure the hood is secured open. Put a nice bright LED light in front of the radiator, lay a mirror so you can see the motor, unplug the wiring plug by depressing the little release tab on the round connector, unbolt the ground strap from the motor and then remove the bracket from the headlight support bar. Pull the spring clip off of the locating pin, and then wiggle the motor off of the shaft.

I would recommend that you do the removal of the motor and reinstall with the headlight somewhere in the middle of its range of travel, that gets it off of the Y stop and allows some freedom of movement of the bucket in both directions.

Once you get the motor off the shaft, you can carefully get it out in the space between the open hood and the nose panel.
The following users liked this post:
Goldduster (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 06:23 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Prop the hood open past the stop and as close to vertical as you can get it. secure it with a long prop rod and rope around the mail hood latch pin...you do NOT want it slamming shut. Use two strips of blue painter's quick release tape along the front of the hood and the hood surround lip. THEN you can do the motor disconnection procedures discussed above. A ground wire, a bracket, and electrical harness connector, a hairpin and the motor will slide off towards the center of the car...
Old 12-05-2016, 08:51 AM
427/42566 coup
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

some thing is making that motor operate slowly
Old 12-05-2016, 12:03 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by 427/42566 coup
some thing is making that motor operate slowly
Galled main gear, the lube turned to clay, or the preload is messed up. All easy fixes.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:50 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

If you are dyslexic it will make things easier working from the mirror image.

A more helpful comment that was touched on above:
The motor will slide off easily, IF you first rotate the assembly manually with the motor thumbwheel. Just a bit of travel. This unloads the motor/bucket mechanical interface (bucket shaft in motor drive slot).
Old 12-05-2016, 02:30 PM
survivor66
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Similar to above, I find the most difficult part is the space between hood and cowl, and you don't want to remove the hood for a relatively simple procedure. I tie a long rope to one male hood release pin, run it up and around my garage door torsion bar and back to the opposite release pin. Pull tight so hood is vertical as possible and you will have another precious inch of gap to work with. Of course take all precautions the car cannot roll at all.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:53 PM
D-FRESH3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
Galled main gear, the lube turned to clay, or the preload is messed up. All easy fixes.

I'm familiar with the grease problem and the gear problem, what is the preload issue and how is that rectified?
Thank you.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:09 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Most likely that's NOT your problem....I always re-tweak it after delving into the headlight motors just on principle. Some reading on the topic:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ht-motors.html

Get notified of new replies

To Tips/Easiest Way To Remove Headlamp Bucket Motor?

Quick Reply: [C2] Tips/Easiest Way To Remove Headlamp Bucket Motor?