C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

A little off line question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 11:55 AM
Brumbach
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Default A little off line question?

Anyone know if the Norwood plant production operated on Saturday and Sunday normally? Thanks in advance. Bill
Old 12-07-2016, 12:11 PM
W Guy
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 133 Posts

I don't know what year you're talking about but in the early '60s, they had a 6 day week, Sunday off.
You should probably try to contact Phil Boris, the editor of the book "Echoes of Norwood"

Verne
Old 12-07-2016, 12:17 PM
Brumbach
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by W Guy
I don't know what year you're talking about but in the early '60s, they had a 6 day week, Sunday off.
You should probably try to contact Phil Boris, the editor of the book "Echoes of Norwood"

Verne
1969. Thanks for the lead.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Mike67nv
Melting Slicks

Received 273 Likes on 194 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Brumbach
Anyone know if the Norwood plant production operated on Saturday and Sunday normally? Thanks in advance. Bill
Although I don’t have any personal experience at Norwood, from my 17 years with GM at the Fremont Plant (’65-’82), I can say it was very common for GM plants to run production shifts on Saturdays during that time frame.

Usually by Thursday night, plants would post their production schedules for the following week for employees. Those schedules were typically eight to nine hours per shift (plus or minus a few tenths of an hour) and often included Saturdays. Schedules were a function of sales/orders and production numbers.

So, Saturday production was very common, and although I don’t ever recall a production shift scheduled on a Sunday, there were a lot of people working repair and maintenance shifts.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:42 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

I worked for Chrysler for 31 years and now and then we worked Sundays and Saturdays and depending on sales and production there were times we would work Holidays like Thanksgiving and between Christmas and New Years also. I made enough money working 1 holiday that paid for the family to go on a cruise ship for a week and we went. Not bad paid for it with 1 days work.

Get notified of new replies

To A little off line question?

Quick Reply: A little off line question?