C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help with a '66 rear brake pad

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 07:54 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Sure a lot of 'rust' on the metal part of pad...i think its from just setting and the pads adhered to rotor...
The following users liked this post:
Dennis Beck (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 10:59 AM
survivor66
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Was the back of the pad wet? If so, a slow piston seal leak would allow fluid to flow to the outboard low corners and travel around and up to the pads by capillary action... maybe.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:00 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Beck
\

Can anybody venture a guess why this inboard pad from a rear caliper would look like this?

Dennis
Any chance that whoever put those pads on missed the pin hole on the inside pad and it dropped down a rubbed on the dust shield? The pad looks like it has some wear on the top up by the pin hole, none at the bottom except where the mice have been chewing on it.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:16 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeM
Any chance that whoever put those pads on missed the pin hole on the inside pad and it dropped down a rubbed on the dust shield? The pad looks like it has some wear on the top up by the pin hole, none at the bottom except where the mice have been chewing on it.
Wouldn't the 'metal' part be worn before the pad...
Old 12-12-2016, 11:26 AM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Dennis - Were you the person who originally installed that pad? If not, maybe whoever did the job installed a damaged pad.

I would hate hate to think anyone would do that on purpose, though.

Steve
Old 12-12-2016, 11:49 AM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RatDog
Dennis - Were you the person who originally installed that pad? If not, maybe whoever did the job installed a damaged pad.

I would hate hate to think anyone would do that on purpose, though.

Steve
No I did not put those in there myself. They were replaced when I had the entire suspension from top to bottom and front to rear replaced. It was a total R&R including new rotors and pads. There would have been no reason for them cut a corner. He was a friend and NCRS judge manual writer for the '66's. I should say that that was some time ago now. I am going to get that caliper off and then the rotor so I can get a look at the backside of the rotor and the inside of the backing shield. Snow on the ground here now and the car is back in the garage for the winter. Lot's of down time now to take it apart.
Thanks for all the ideas guys. I will get on it and report back.

Dennis

Last edited by Dennis Beck; 12-12-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:29 PM
ejboyd5
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 189 Posts

This is a wonderful academic exercise. Like the others I have never seen a pattern such as this and have no explanation for same. Considering that the "rolling" noise had gone away, you may never find a cause. I would consider replacing the brake pads and forgetting about the entire episode. Don't be concerned unless the noise returns or you notice a fluid leak.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:47 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ejboyd5
This is a wonderful academic exercise. Like the others I have never seen a pattern such as this and have no explanation for same. Considering that the "rolling" noise had gone away, you may never find a cause. I would consider replacing the brake pads and forgetting about the entire episode. Don't be concerned unless the noise returns or you notice a fluid leak.
I am not certain the rolling noise (forward and backward) and this brake pad are connected. My rolling bearing/Ujoint noise is gone now after a few miles following some grease in all the Ujoints in the driveshaft and half shafts. I decided to pull out all the brake pads just for curiosity to see if they were wearing correctly. The coincidence is that that brake pad came from where I though my bearing noise was coming from. Like you said I consider the noise fixed and now to watch this rear caliper a bit.

Dennis

Quick Reply: Help with a '66 rear brake pad