C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help with a '66 rear brake pad

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 01:00 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Help with a '66 rear brake pad

I pulled the rear brake pads out today as a little winter project trying to chase a rolling noise from this past summer. I have a totally stainless steel system from the MC out to all corners. Using silicone brake fluid. Fluid level is up and never really add any. Can anybody venture a guess why this inboard pad from a rear caliper would look like this?

Dennis
Old 12-10-2016, 01:24 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Do you have a dail indactor and base to check run out?
Old 12-10-2016, 01:43 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I assume you are concerned about the wet corners. My guess is, you may have a weeping leak between the caliper halfs. Dennis
Old 12-10-2016, 02:09 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

No I don't have a dial indicator. Good thought on weep between caliper halves. This system has been in place for several years and trouble free. Am I dreaming to just tighten the caliper halves?

Dennis
Old 12-10-2016, 02:15 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

given the stains I think perhaps Bluestripe might be on to something. You did say that you had no signs of fluid loss and given the noise issue I'd think if anything it might have lessened that ??

I'm also thinking that if runout were an issue, given the visible damage you would have felt it in your pedal..... no ?

Last edited by Mikado463; 12-10-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:21 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

A couple of reputable brake companies would tell you this is a silicone brake fluid problem.

I had a similar problem. You're going to have to replace the caliper. Then flush the system with denatured alcohol. I would next use DOT 3 if this is a street car.

Now everyone will tell me how they've used silicone fluid for the past three decades and never had a problem. OK.

Richard Newton
How Hot do Brakes Actually Get?
The following users liked this post:
63Corvette (12-14-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 02:27 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

rfn026

Thanks for that. It is a street car. I learn something everyday on this CF.

Dennis

Last edited by Dennis Beck; 12-10-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:09 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Beck
I pulled the rear brake pads out today as a little winter project trying to chase a rolling noise from this past summer. I have a totally stainless steel system from the MC out to all corners. Using silicone brake fluid. Fluid level is up and never really add any. Can anybody venture a guess why this inboard pad from a rear caliper would look like this?

Dennis
It looks to me like the pad has been ground off by abraiding on something as the wheel turns. Look at where the caliper came off and see if you see witness marks. That doesn't have anything to do with a caliper leaking but it could be the source of your noise.

I'd think if the caliper was leaking, that pad would be wet across the whole face of it. I'd resist the urge to flush out the Dot 5 at least until you find out what's going on.

The Feds have a FMVSS standard on all brake fluids sold to the public that states they MUST be compatible with existing soft brake components and that includes seals, cups and hoses and applies to Dot 3,4,5.1 and Dot 5. So until someone shows PROOF that Dot 5 will damage current brake system compnents, I'll continue to dismiss any claim that owners should discontinue use of same.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:01 PM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,272 Likes on 813 Posts

It is odd where the brake pad is showing to be wet and the fact that it is breaking down exactly where it is showing wet. Your brake pad backing plate appears dry and that would be closest to the caliper and pistons. Normally leaks travel with gravity or rotation and your wet spots defy both of those normal leak paths.
Your leak appears to be creeping in from both ends.
What did the pad look like on the other side of this caliper?
I can't say I have ever seen a pad showing the issue yours has.
If your brake fluid is not low and the caliper shows zero signs of leak I think I would check run out on the disc and put new pads in.
The pad shows the markings of running on a smooth rotor, no odd wear marks other than the two ends. Are you cleaning your rims and spraying something that is getting on your pad and breaking it down?
rfn026 (12-11-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 04:08 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Westlotorn

The pad in the pic is the inboard pad. The outboard pad was dry and smooth with sharp edges. I use no chemical cleaners on my wheels just car wash and water.

Dennis
Old 12-10-2016, 04:11 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Dennis, love your '66 and really like your wheels, tell me more .........

BTW, displaced 'Buffalonian' here, I'm praying that the Bills loose out so we can get rid of those two 'looney toon' Ryan brothers

Last edited by Mikado463; 12-10-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:26 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

MikeM

You have a good eye and what you are saying is connecting a few dots. It does appear like something has been striking those outside lower corners. This pad came from the inboard side so it is hard for me to see the back of the rotor because the backing plate is in the way. Over the summer I had a rolling noise both forward and backward coming from that corner. Sounded like a wheel bearing or a U joint. Two guys that rode with me to listen thought it sounded like the pinion gear. Well the more I drove it to people to listen to the noise it got to be less and less and now has disappeared. Along with the stainless brake system the parking brake was replaced in the job as well with stainless parts. I do use the parking brake at times. I wonder if a part from the parking brake assembly is loose in the there and somehow rotating with the disc. Now that the corners have been chewed off it clears and my rolling noise is gone. My parking brake seems to still be working although I do have to pull it out pretty far now.

Dennis
Old 12-10-2016, 04:41 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Mikado463

Yes the Bills. Well I was a high school wrestling and football coach for 31 years. I don't like to blame coaches or players for that matter. I know there are a lot of things that go into good teams. What appears to the eye is only a part of it.

Now the wheels. Those are American STICS IV. Long out of production. Silver spokes are a dead match for the car. What appears to be a trim ring is actually a machined surface right into the wheel. Thanks.

Dennis
Old 12-10-2016, 05:43 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I just rebuilt a leaking rear caliper on my 66 and the inside pad had similar stains on the lower corners. The stains were lighter on mine and I didn't have the deterioration yours exhibit but the location and general appearance of the stains matched yours for the most part.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:14 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I just rebuilt a leaking rear caliper on my 66 and the inside pad had similar stains on the lower corners. The stains were lighter on mine and I didn't have the deterioration yours exhibit but the location and general appearance of the stains matched yours for the most part.
So you would say that if this pad was contaminated with Dot 5 brake fluid it might just attack the pad and cause it to crumble away?
Old 12-10-2016, 10:48 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I have DOT 5 in my car but I think the caliper had only been leaking a month or two. They deterioration might depend on the pad composition too. I'm guessing those are organic pads - but not sure? I can't think of anything in there that could start rubbing or grinding on the pad on the corners.
Dennis Beck (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 09:47 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DansYellow66

I can't think of anything in there that could start rubbing or grinding on the pad on the corners.
I can't either and I've never seen a brake pad just crumble due to contact with brake fluid. Any kind of brake fluid. Never seen a pad where the material just crumbled period.

That's why I suggested the OP get down under the fender and have a look at where the back side pad called home and see what else it might be sharing a bed with.

Last edited by MikeM; 12-11-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Dennis Beck (12-11-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Help with a '66 rear brake pad

Old 12-11-2016, 07:20 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

The damage on the brake pad looks like it might have been caused by contact with the dust shield. How that could happen, I have no idea.
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2016, 06:06 AM
Jane Horn
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree that it might be a brake fluid, had just a similar issue last year. Currently looking for a good brake parts provider, any reviews on this Canadian company ?
Old 12-12-2016, 06:58 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

It just seems that if it were from contact, that you would see the damage in a circular arc across the entire bottom of the pad. It the pad were hitting the shield and then riding up over it, he would have to be going forward and backwards alternately to get both ends - and I would think there would be a heck of a noise accompanying it. Also the ends of the shield should probably show some wear.

You might want to get some litmus strips and check the pH of your brake fluid.

Quick Reply: Help with a '66 rear brake pad