C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Tachometer just stopped working on my 64 , 327 365HP

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 03:17 PM
ELEFUNTMAN
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine stopped on Thanksgiving day, went home, unhooked the cable from the distributor, spun the cable by hand with my fingers while wife watched the tach inside, tach works! Good news for me, went to the local corvette shop and they had the distributor parts, new shaft, gear and bushing and all works great.

The distributor is much easier to R&R than the instruments. My car has 106k on it, maybe you will have the same issue, it was all dry and crusty inside the distributor, not very good lubrication from the factory.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:58 PM
D-FRESH3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dnaper64
Dave, I just hooked the tach up to my drill and it does not move the needle , looks like I am going into the dash. since I am pulling the cluster out , are there other items I should just replace while i have it out?

I replaced my tach cable a few months ago. I was able to lay on my back and remove the cable without pulling the dash. It was very tight, but it worked with a little patience. Give it a try before you pull it.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:43 PM
Dnaper64
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Buns , good to know i didn't cause more problems and understand a little more how these things work
Old 01-23-2017, 12:50 PM
Dnaper64
Heel & Toe

Finally back at fixing the tach issue:

the tach worked when I put it in a drill in reverse, I just pulled the distributor and pulled the cross gear out , the gears are worn down or missing in one area , I looked in the hole and it looks like the shaft is also worn down in one section, see pictures of both.

question: can I just replace the shaft and cross gear , is it that simple , the car is running great so I don't want to mess with something that is working well. if I can just buy the shaft, can I pull the shaft out and put the new one in along with the cross gear, or are there other parts I just replace

Name:  cross gear .JPG
Views: 248
Size:  120.0 KB

Name:  cost gear shaft .JPG
Views: 240
Size:  108.8 KB
Old 01-24-2017, 09:03 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Rebuild

Looks like it's time for a rebuild. You will need a new shaft and cross gear. Since you have to replace the shaft, why not have the entire unit rebuilt with new bearings etc. I would check to see if Lars has time to add you to his schedule. He could check the vacuum can, set the curve. Do a search for his contact information. Jerry
Old 01-24-2017, 12:42 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Dnaper64
question: can I just replace the shaft and cross gear , is it that simple , the car is running great so I don't want to mess with something that is working well. if I can just buy the shaft, can I pull the shaft out and put the new one in along with the cross gear, or are there other parts I just replace
No, you can't just replace the parts. The reason the gears stripped out is because the crossgear has worn itself into the distributor housing thrust surface and bored a counterbore for itself. It then sinks into its own counterbore, which causes it to lock up and strip out. If you replace the gear, it will lock up almost immediately and strip out again. You have to machine a new thrust surface insert and repair the damage to the distributor housing before you can replace the parts.

Also, the metallic debris filings have gone down your mainshaft, and your lower distributor bushing is now completely trashed. The lower bushing needs to be replaced and honed to fit/align with the shaft and upped bushing.

Lars
Old 01-24-2017, 12:49 PM
Dnaper64
Heel & Toe

Thanks Lars, this may be more than I can do with limited tools and certainly not the experience. do you still rebuild distributors? do you have contact information that I can call or email you direct

thanks

Dana
Old 01-25-2017, 01:08 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Yes, I can fix it and set it up right. Just e-mail me for my info package on my services.

Lars
V8FastCars@msn.com
Old 01-25-2017, 02:01 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Go for it Dana! I can guarantee that you won't regret it. He did a terrific job on my distributor and he's VERY reasonably priced. Lars is the best!

Gary

Quick Reply: [C2] Tachometer just stopped working on my 64 , 327 365HP