C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help with 64 Clock needed ( PICTURES)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 09:24 PM
Oaker57
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Help with 64 Clock needed ( PICTURES)

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...37262082372444

Trying to repair my original works clock, and figured it was just going to need the points filed, and the gears lubed. But it turned out that the small wire from the relay was broken off as you can see in the first 2 pictures. So I figured it just needed to be soldered back on, but when power was restored, it ran but the wire heated up and started to smoke, so I'm thinking obviously the relay is bad.

I am well aware I can just get a quarts replacement kit, but I would really like to be able to just fix it as is, so with that being said does anyone know where I can get just a new relay?? I have searched tons of places and archives, but can't seem to locate anything other than the afore mentioned quartz deal.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated...
Attached Images     
Old 12-21-2016, 11:06 PM
miked16
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

The bakelite where the relay is mounted appears to have gotten hot which would support your idea that the relay is bad. The wire is insulated with an enamel coating which has to be scraped off before you can attempt to solder it. I couldn't tell from your photo if you had scraped it or not when you soldered it, my guess is yes because when you powered it up, it got hot. Try checking the continuity to ground, my guess is you will find that the winding is shorted. At this point, you have nothing to loose. You might try to wind a new relay coil. Carefully unwind your burned up one and rewind with enamel wire of similar wire size. I usually harvest my wire from old relays or other power supply transformers I no longer need.
The following users liked this post:
Oaker57 (12-22-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 04:40 PM
Oaker57
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by miked16
The bakelite where the relay is mounted appears to have gotten hot which would support your idea that the relay is bad. The wire is insulated with an enamel coating which has to be scraped off before you can attempt to solder it. I couldn't tell from your photo if you had scraped it or not when you soldered it, my guess is yes because when you powered it up, it got hot. Try checking the continuity to ground, my guess is you will find that the winding is shorted. At this point, you have nothing to loose. You might try to wind a new relay coil. Carefully unwind your burned up one and rewind with enamel wire of similar wire size. I usually harvest my wire from old relays or other power supply transformers I no longer need.
You are correct about the bakelite, it definitely has traces of being overcooked.

Yes I scraped the wire back before soldering, but after reconnecting on the work bench, the coating started to bubble as it rapidly overheated.

I have never actually rewound a relay before, but at this point have nothing to lose I suppose. I assume you must count the number of windings in the old, and keep it the same with the new wiring. Is enamel wire easily found, I have to admit I'm not familiar with it.

I just wish there was somewhere to get a replacement relay, but as I said in my original post, nothing turned up after my research, although a part number or size would have probably made a difference.

Thanks again for the suggestions....
Old 12-22-2016, 05:35 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Re: enameled wire, I assume that it is still available, but probably not available at the corner hardware store anymore. It used to be, and many moons ago I rewound old relays. I know of lots of guys rewinding old motor armatures, but I never tried that.

Given that you're deep enough into to it to have tried to fix it yourself so far, what do you have to lose by trying to rewind it?

Good luck, and be sure to let us know how it goes.
Oaker57 (12-22-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 10:39 PM
Oaker57
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Still hoping someone may know where I can find a relay replacement......
Old 12-24-2016, 06:39 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

For $150 Clock Works will put an entire, new OEM Borg movement in your clock....they did it for my 63 just prior to judging. What's your time worth to you ?
Old 12-31-2016, 06:36 PM
Oaker57
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
For $150 Clock Works will put an entire, new OEM Borg movement in your clock....they did it for my 63 just prior to judging. What's your time worth to you ?
Thanks Frank, I can do that, or as I mentioned, just go with the quartz replacement. My car was not all original when I got it, so judging is not an issue for me. It's more that I've had my hands in just about every part of restoring it and I just enjoy being able to fix it if I can.
Bottom line is I just want to have a working clock, having the ticking second hand would be preferred, but if a sweeping one gets it done, then I will just live with that.

Happy New Year
Old 01-01-2017, 12:18 PM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Oaker57
Thanks Frank, I can do that, or as I mentioned, just go with the quartz replacement. My car was not all original when I got it, so judging is not an issue for me. It's more that I've had my hands in just about every part of restoring it and I just enjoy being able to fix it if I can.
Bottom line is I just want to have a working clock, having the ticking second hand would be preferred, but if a sweeping one gets it done, then I will just live with that.

Happy New Year
Hello
I put a quartz clock in mine and I have never looked back. Well worth it not to hassle with taking out the clock to fix it. Plus its almost guarantee if you fix your original you will be pull out of the car at sometime again to fix it..,,

Last edited by Blk63Vette; 01-01-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Oaker57 (01-02-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 07:48 PM
flohmann
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like you, I made a serious effort at bringing my old Borg back to life, but was also stymied by a bad relay. Went with the quartz movement, have been quite pleased.
Oaker57 (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 08:22 AM
Vettegeezer
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Still hoping someone may know where I can find a relay replacement......
Check out Instrument Services, Inc. tel. 1-800-558-BORG. They bought out Borg a few years ago and will either rebuild, convert, or sell parts for your clock. I bought some replacements gears from them last year. They are very helpful also (which is rare these days).
Phil M.
Oaker57 (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 08:54 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I converted the 63 clock BACK to the Borg (resistance is futile, you WILL be assimilated) mechanical OEM configuration from quartz for judging last year. I subsequently added a small invisible 12V relay behind the dash to turn it on/off via a key fob remote. The clock is only on for judging or shows with picky spectators. Took about 25 minutes to install and didn't butcher any original wiring.

If you price out what 63 dash clocks are going for then any way you can avoid damage/loss from shipping them around the country for repairs is a boon.

According to Clock Works the relay will extend the lifespan prob enough to eclipse my own.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-02-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Oaker57 (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 03:43 PM
Oaker57
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vettegeezer
Check out Instrument Services, Inc. tel. 1-800-558-BORG. They bought out Borg a few years ago and will either rebuild, convert, or sell parts for your clock. I bought some replacements gears from them last year. They are very helpful also (which is rare these days).
Phil M.
Thanks for the lead Phil, I will certainly give them a call. Hopefully they will be willing to sell me what I need...

Happy New Year,
Mark
Old 01-02-2017, 04:40 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I converted the 63 clock BACK to the Borg (resistance is futile, you WILL be assimilated) mechanical OEM configuration from quartz for judging last year. I subsequently added a small invisible 12V relay behind the dash to turn it on/off via a key fob remote. The clock is only on for judging or shows with picky spectators. Took about 25 minutes to install and didn't butcher any original wiring.

If you price out what 63 dash clocks are going for then any way you can avoid damage/loss from shipping them around the country for repairs is a boon.

According to Clock Works the relay will extend the lifespan prob enough to eclipse my own.
Frank, I just ordered that remote switch from Amazon last week. It's supposed to be here on Thursday. I'm using mine as an off/on switch for my SPAL fan. I'm currently using a toggle switch but I don't like the way it looks.

Steve
Old 01-02-2017, 04:51 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Uh - if its that EXACT same item Steve its max current rating is 15 amps; not sure what your SPAL fan may draw but you might want to check...
Old 01-02-2017, 05:14 PM
RatDog
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,581 Likes on 818 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Uh - if its that EXACT same item Steve its max current rating is 15 amps; not sure what your SPAL fan may draw but you might want to check...
Frank - Thanks. The fan is 20 amps but I'm switching the temperature sensor. SPAL instructions say if you want to convert fan operation from automatic on/off to manual on/off, you run a small gauge wire (14 or 16) from the temperature sensor in the radiator to a toggle switch and then to ground. I've been switching with a toggle switch up until now. I think the automatic temperature sensor/switch is on a relay.

Thanks for pointing out the potential problem. I will make sure to check the current on that line to verify before I do anything.

Take care,
Steve
Old 01-05-2017, 04:05 PM
zeeker
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey OAKER, did you get your clock fixed? I also "touched" mine way back when. My hand turning stem just slipped so I took it apart and "stuff happened" from there. So much for that exercise and a new one was ordered. I'll never use this one and you're welcome to it. PM me your mailing address and I'll wing it off to you. This ones out of a '65 but I think they are the same..........zeeker
Attached Images      
Oaker57 (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 03:10 PM
Oaker57
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by zeeker
Hey OAKER, did you get your clock fixed? I also "touched" mine way back when. My hand turning stem just slipped so I took it apart and "stuff happened" from there. So much for that exercise and a new one was ordered. I'll never use this one and you're welcome to it. PM me your mailing address and I'll wing it off to you. This ones out of a '65 but I think they are the same..........zeeker
PM Sent...

Get notified of new replies

To Help with 64 Clock needed ( PICTURES)

Old 01-06-2017, 03:20 PM
Oaker57
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vettegeezer
Phil M.
Update: spoke with Instrument Services and although very helpful, they unfortunately do not sell the relay's.
They do have lots of other parts available, and they do sell a quartz replacement that they manufacture, and at a good price....
So when all else is exhausted I will call them back for the replacement

Thanks again for the lead.....

Regards,
Mark
Old 01-07-2017, 07:19 AM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

Update: spoke with Instrument Services and although very helpful, they unfortunately do not sell the relay's.
They do have lots of other parts available, and they do sell a quartz replacement that they manufacture, and at a good price....
So when all else is exhausted I will call them back for the replacement

Thanks again for the lead.....

Regards,
Mark
I pulled my clock from my '64 Coupe and updated to quartz, but then I pulled that and re-installed a totally rebuilt '64 mechanical clock (pricey). I have all the parts from my original clock if you're interested, as far as relays go I found www.obsoleteparts.com to be very good, I bought a horn relay and AC relay for my my '64 that were new in the box.
Oaker57 (01-08-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 10:25 PM
Oaker57
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mjdart
I pulled my clock from my '64 Coupe and updated to quartz, but then I pulled that and re-installed a totally rebuilt '64 mechanical clock (pricey). I have all the parts from my original clock if you're interested, as far as relays go I found www.obsoleteparts.com to be very good, I bought a horn relay and AC relay for my my '64 that were new in the box.

PM Sent....

Quick Reply: Help with 64 Clock needed ( PICTURES)