C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Which LS motor should I use

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 01:28 PM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by j_66chevelle
The choice was made for me, Holley EFI. Best I can tell if you want even more flexibility go with dominator.

I used the Vintage Air:

Funny thing is you can barely see any of it once everything is in place.

Could not say anything about the hoses.

BTW, the Mast 605 uses GM heads.
Since you are using an after-market frame, did the heater hose connections on the water pump have to be modified to clear the right A-Arm? That is something I will have to address since I will be staying with the factory frame.

How close is the idler pulley on the Vintage Air to the heater hose connections on the water pump??? Could I trouble you to snap a photo from the right looking as straight on (from the right side of the engine) as possible? In my case, I will have to do something very similar to the gentleman who did this:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1587674433
Old 01-29-2017, 01:57 PM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30
I'd throw this out there too....if you're going to swap the heads and cam anyway, don't start with the LS3-525, start with the base (i.e. cheapest) LS3....the only difference between the LS3/480/525 is the cam and spring set up. If you start with the 525, you're essentially paying extra for parts you're going to pull off anyway.

Excellent point! Taking that one step further, get the 430HP LS3 and do the head/cam swap! I think Summit Racing has a GM LS3-430HP crate for $6751.00 !! The LS3-430 has the same heads and internals, as it's 480 and 525 siblings, the only difference is the camshaft.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:25 PM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert61
One more for the LS3. I'm using a stroked LS3 for my 61 build with a 4L60E transmission. I'm not far enough along to offer much person experience but I have looked a several. They all told me no mods to the tunnel unless going to the 4L80 and some said then there still was room. I'll be using a 4.000" stroke the same as the LS7 just a smaller bore. I won't be turning it that much anyway.

Question on your thermostat housing lining up with the lower rad hose
what are you using, the factory one or a swivel, and what brand?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Which LS motor should I use