C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] What aluminum intake to run?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 11:13 PM
Basic64
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What aluminum intake to run?

I have a 64 250 hp 327 that I'm looking to beef up a little. I already have the double hump 194 heads on the car but still have the original intake ,cam and wcfb carb. Note: car still has the small block hood. Im thinking of changing over to the Holley sniper efi , crane vintage muscle 350 hp cam ( hydraulic ) and moving to a aluminum intake. The main question is what options do I have in terms of a after market intake due to the limited space I have with hood clearance? I want to retain the original oil fill tube at the front of the intake. Edelbrock performer was the only one I found that could work for me but the intake would have to be machined to except the oil fill tube... Any better options? 2nd question. What do you all think of the combo I listed? Just looking for alittle more power I can feel in the seat of the pants. The 250 hp set up is extremely mild and not to my taste.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:24 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

There are many ways to go but the proven L79 350 HP 327 cam is hard to beat.
The Perfomer is also a very nice and proven part.
Without the L79 pistons you give up a little but I bet with your pistons you could see 320 HP and these parts are cheap to add 70 HP.
The following users liked this post:
Basic64 (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 12:44 AM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Basic64
I have a 64 250 hp 327 that I'm looking to beef up a little. I already have the double hump 194 heads on the car but still have the original intake ,cam and wcfb carb. Note: car still has the small block hood. Im thinking of changing over to the Holley sniper efi , crane vintage muscle 350 hp cam ( hydraulic ) and moving to a aluminum intake. The main question is what options do I have in terms of a after market intake due to the limited space I have with hood clearance? I want to retain the original oil fill tube at the front of the intake. Edelbrock performer was the only one I found that could work for me but the intake would have to be machined to except the oil fill tube... Any better options? 2nd question. What do you all think of the combo I listed? Just looking for alittle more power I can feel in the seat of the pants. The 250 hp set up is extremely mild and not to my taste.

All of these EDELBROCKS at Summit Racing have the Oil fill hole drilled in them...

EDL-2703, Satin Finish...
EDL-27033, Black Finish...
EDL-27034, Endura Shine...

Last edited by 66jack; 01-05-2017 at 12:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Basic64 (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 06:57 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

An old school Edelbrock C3BX is a good choice, dual plane and proper hood clearance, I ran one for years and sold it two years ago....they are Z-28 clone design and still around.. Correct thermostat and oil fill tube mounting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDELBROCK-VINTAGE-C3BX-SBC-283-327-350-CHEVY-ALUMINUM-4-BBL-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-2245-/322365470447?hash=item4b0e7ab6ef
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-283-305-350-307-383-400-SMALL-BLOCK-CHEVY-EDELBROCK-C3BX-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-/122266578157?hash=item1c77a7eced
You may just want to consider a GM crate motor instead of cobbling together a bunch of disparate mods. That EFI alone will cost you several thousand, more, if you run into problems with it... My C3BX shown below.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-05-2017 at 07:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frankie the Fink:
Basic64 (01-05-2017), rfn026 (01-07-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 07:37 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Aftermarket EFI systems are problematic. The companies don't have a history of sticking around. Holley might be around in five years but who knows. At any rate the employees who understand your system may well have left the company.

You're not going to get any more power with EFI, and you're going to get a lot of complications.

Richard Newton
Facebook Post
Old 01-05-2017, 07:49 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by rfn026
Aftermarket EFI systems are problematic. The companies don't have a history of sticking around. Holley might be around in five years but who knows. At any rate the employees who understand your system may well have left the company.

You're not going to get any more power with EFI, and you're going to get a lot of complications.

Richard Newton
you're right, there is no assurance that you are not going to be left with an orphan... my Accel EFI system works flawlessly and solved drivability issues that I had with Rochester FI; BUT it is no longer supported and will be a candidate for the 'rectangular file' is something should happen...

:will y:

Bill

lol... just like the emoticon above...

Last edited by wmf62; 01-05-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:57 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

There have been a few success stories, but more often horror stories. And I'm not too certain about the voracity of the success stories. Once you are many thousands of dollars down the road on a gizmo, spent hours diddling with it and passed the point of no return; its almost obligatory to brag on it even if its a kludgey setup to salve your ego and justify all the pain.

The nice Youtube videos of the swap to EFI usually are under pristine, optimal circumstances not requiring complicated workarounds or more, expensive parts. I looked into this area heavily when I got PO'ed at the Holley on the Chevelle. My cheapest estimate to FULLY take advantage of an EFI system - including modifying the shallow Chevelle gas tank to prevent pump cavitation wash heading north of $4K with no guarantee of complete success. There was a not too long ago thread on here about one of the systems where the tech support sucked out loud and the owner never did get things optimized...

If you want F/I and are going to mod a ton of other things on the side...get an LS3 mill.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-05-2017 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:04 AM
DSR
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 93 Posts

You should check out the factory 327 350hp intake with a Holley carb.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:41 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
There have been a few success stories, but more often horror stories. And I'm not too certain about the voracity of the success stories. Once you are many thousands of dollars down the road on a gizmo, spent hours diddling with it and passed the point of no return; its almost obligatory to brag on it even if its a kludgey setup to salve your ego and justify all the pain.

The nice Youtube videos of the swap to EFI usually are under pristine, optimal circumstances not requiring complicated workarounds or more, expensive parts. I looked into this area heavily when I got PO'ed at the Holley on the Chevelle. My cheapest estimate to FULLY take advantage of an EFI system - including modifying the shallow Chevelle gas tank to prevent pump cavitation wash heading north of $4K with no guarantee of complete success. There was a not too long ago thread on here about one of the systems where the tech support sucked out loud and the owner never did get things optimized...

If you want F/I and are going to mod a ton of other things on the side...get an LS3 mill.
I probably have about 5K in mine; but it works.... but I did have episodes of frustration where I would have jumped off of a high building if I could have found one...

would I do it again, yes... technology has probably evolved... but it is the support (or lack of it that worries me); that makes any adaptable OEM system attractive nowadays...

Bill

Frank
PS:
Veracity vs. voracity
Veracity means truthfulness or honesty. Its corresponding adjective is veracious, which is synonymous with true or truthful.

Voracity is the noun corresponding to the adjective voracious, which means (1) eager to consume a great amount of food, or (2) marked by an insatiable appetite.
Veracity is far more common than the rare voracity, so the latter is sometimes used in place of the former. But voracious is far more common than veracious, so the confusion of the adjectives tends to go in the other direction.
Attached Images  

Last edited by wmf62; 01-05-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:15 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

I went with the Edelbrock 2703 with oil fill tube. Edelbrock product description states this intake manifold won't fit under stock Corvette hood. Yes and no. .. This intake manifold will work under a non BB style hood, but a drop base air cleaner and a 2 inch tall air filter element is what I used to make the combination work. A 3 inch filter element would have been too tall. Using a 2 inch filter and drop base air cleaner, the air flow gap between carb air inlet and air cleaner top is 1/2 inch. Fine for normal running around but a choke point of sorts when the secondaries kick in. The problem was overcome by modifying the air cleaner top lid to accept additional air filter media.

The Edelbrock supplied oil fill tube and breather were not used. A factory style chrome oil fill tube with locking cap top feature and nipple was ordered from Paragon as a replacement so the stock PCV system could continue to be used.

Overall, best performance with this aluminum intake manifold seems to kick in going past 3K rpm. .. The previous intake manifold before changing out to the aluminum 2703 was the factory cast iron 300hp '459' manifold. Between these two intake manifolds, it's hard to say a whole lot was gained, performance wise, going with the 2703. .. Maybe that speaks to the good design of the 459 intake manifold.

As well as gaining a few extra ponies, the 2703 was also installed for better heat dissipation to help a address fuel perc condition.
John

Last edited by mrg; 01-05-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:05 PM
Basic64
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg
I went with the Edelbrock 2703 with oil fill tube. Edelbrock product description states this intake manifold won't fit under stock Corvette hood. Yes and no. .. This intake manifold will work under a non BB style hood, but a drop base air cleaner and a 2 inch tall air filter element is what I used to make the combination work. A 3 inch filter element would have been too tall. Using a 2 inch filter and drop base air cleaner, the air flow gap between carb air inlet and air cleaner top is 1/2 inch. Fine for normal running around but a choke point of sorts when the secondaries kick in. The problem was overcome by modifying the air cleaner top lid to accept additional air filter media.

The Edelbrock supplied oil fill tube and breather were not used. A factory style chrome oil fill tube with locking cap top feature and nipple was ordered from Paragon as a replacement so the stock PCV system could continue to be used.

Overall, best performance with this aluminum intake manifold seems to kick in going past 3K rpm. .. The previous intake manifold before changing out to the aluminum 2703 was the factory cast iron 300hp '459' manifold. Between these two intake manifolds, it's hard to say a whole lot was gained, performance wise, going with the 2703. .. Maybe that speaks to the good design of the 459 intake manifold.

As well as gaining a few extra ponies, the 2703 was also installed for better heat dissipation to help a address fuel perc condition.
John
What can are you running John?
Old 01-05-2017, 10:16 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

GM's '70 LT1 intake is a good inch taller in those intake runners and is an ideal intake improvement over the stock 350 HP intake. I've been running the service replacement version (GM #14044836) of this LT1/Z28 intake on my 327 for 10 years. I also mated this intake with the flat tappet solid lifter '70 LT1 camshaft. Good drivability and definitely will be a big power improvement over the 300 hydraulic setup.

Here's some EBAY links to this intake:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1969-197...1X3pu5&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-1970-LT...xYAqG7&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-70-Corv...RXqdDY&vxp=mtr

Basic64, good luck in your decision.

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!
Old 01-06-2017, 11:23 PM
GearheadJoe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 614 Likes on 408 Posts

For original appearance, oil fill tube, and fitting under the hood, I suggest that you get one of the early C2 aluminum intakes that were used on the high horsepower small blocks. There were subtle changes in these intakes from '63 to '67 with respect to the placement of the thermostat housing, temperature sender, heater outlet, choke provisions, and even the angle of the oil fill tube, but in terms of performance they were all similar.

These aluminum intakes don't flow as well as the later Z28 and LT1 intakes, but they are better than the cast iron intakes and they fit just fine using all the factory parts. The 67-72 Z28 and LT1 intakes are generally considered to be the best small block intake GM ever made for production use, but they are a tight fit under the midyear smallblock hood. On some cars they fit, and on others they interfere with the hood just a bit.

If you are willing to work at it, you can create some additional clearance by adding a few shims to every body mount. This raises the body with respect to the engine.

In my view, the Z28/LT1 intake is probably overkill for your application unless you are using aftermarket heads or ported originals. The aluminum C2 intakes are probably just fine for your application, and are guaranteed to fit with no issues.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:43 AM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

What can are you running John?
Carb?. .. Quick Fuel Slayer 600vs.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:40 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

I installed an edelbrock 2101 manifold, reputably know to be low profile.
I have a big 1/2 inch clearance with an edelbrock 1406 car and an edelbrock 'deep' air filter. All that on a 350ci/290HP GM Goodwrench Crate. Can not compare how well that manifold does to others, but my engine is running great. Note that not all aftermarket manifolds have 100% compatible openings to the original SBC. The 2101 does not have the 'hot slot' (I mistakenly named it a heat cross over, those are there) for example, nor does it have provision for an oil fill tube.

Last edited by alexandervdr; 01-08-2017 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:06 PM
GearheadJoe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 614 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
I installed an edelbrock 2101 manifold, reputably know to be low profile.
I have a big 1/2 inch clearance with an edelbrock 1406 car and an edelbrock 'deep' air filter. All that on a 350ci/290HP GM Goodwrench Crate. Can not compare how well that manifold does to others, but my engine is running great. Note that not all aftermarket manifolds have 100% compatible openings to the original SBC. The 2101 does not have a heat cross over for example, nor does it have provision for an oil fill tube.
You make a good point about the exhaust crossover. I don't think that a functional crossover is necessary, but it absolutely needs to be considered because without it, the heat riser valve must be removed.

On the other hand, the oil filler tube is essential if you want to run the stock un-vented valve covers.

Regarding the height of the manifold, I recall that Edelbrock publishes a diagram on how they measure this parameter, and they also provide those measurements for every manifold they sell.

A few years ago I made those same measurements on a stock 327/300 intake, a stock L79 intake, and a stock Z28 intake. I'm away from home right now, but when I get back I will look those numbers up and post them.

Knowing the measurements for the stock manifolds will help with identifying the Edelbrock candidates, especially since it has already been determined that the height of the Z28 intake is marginal for the midyear small block hood.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:43 AM
alexandervdr
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 94 Posts

In my post #15 I originally wrote that the cross-overs are missing, they are NOT. It's the 'hot slot' that is not there (the channel shown in picture below). Mix up of terminology
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To What aluminum intake to run?

Old 01-08-2017, 10:09 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,768 Likes on 1,670 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Personally (FOR A SB CHEVROLET ENGINE), I am a big time lover of the original style Z28/LT1 manifold (67-72 variety). There are two (actually 3) distinct versions: 67-68, 69, 70-72. The 67-69 versions have the hole for the oil tube. On the 70-72 versions, the boss is there, but is is cast over. These manifolds have the Winters snowflake symbol cast into them which of course is a common trade mark on alum engine parts for Chevrolet engines. I do not like the big gaudy symbols/names cast into aftermarket manifolds, such as the Edlebrock manifolds. Another good choice is the 64-67 style 350 and 365hp manifolds-----------------but they are not as good as the original Z28-LT1 manifolds. One particular advantage of the earlier alum manifolds (64-67) is that they are a lower profile than the later Z28-LT1 manifolds-------------which may or may not cause a hood clearance issue.
I have 3 cars with the 67-69 style manifolds and a Q-jet carb, and I could not be happier with an all around setup.
This is now in my 51 Chevy with a 383 (69 Z28 manifold).

This is on a SB400 in my 70 Chevelle (69 Z28 manifold).

This is my son's 68 Chevelle with a 350 (67-68 style Z28 manifold).

Earlier I mentioned there are distinct differences in the 67-68 Z28 intakes from the 69-72 intakes. The MAJOR SIGNIFICANT differences are at the front of the manifolds in the water passage area.

The 67-68 is on the left, the 69-72 is on the right (the one below is a 69 because is still has the hole for the oil fill tube).

As can be seen from the side, they all have the same height/profile (67-68 is on bottom, with a Mr Gasket adapter plate to allow using a Q-jet).

And as can be seen, there are some VERY minor differences between the bottom of the 67-68(right) and 69-72(left) versions.

One last comment on Chev alum 4bl manifolds. The 62-63 340hp engines used an alum manifold which is VERY similar to the 64-67 manifolds, but it has a bolt pattern for an AFB carb, whereas all the 64-72 manifolds had a Holley bolt pattern.

I've never cared much for the 70-72 Z28-LT1 versions because they don't have the hole for an oil fill tube (although the hole CAN be machined for the tube).

One final comment on 4bl manifolds.
If it is desired to use a CAST IRON manifold and a Q-jet, I feel the ideal manifold is the 66-68 cast iron version with a Q-jet bolt pattern. It is a VERY, VERY clean manifold, no emissions nor EGR ports, it has the well for a divorced choke and still has the hole for an oil fill tube. THIS SAME DESIGN MANIFOLD WAS USED ON THE LATER 350hp/350 ENGINES, and flowed quite well!!! These manifolds can be picked up at swap meets for dirt cheap prices.

An old school Edelbrock C3BX is a good choice, dual plane and proper hood clearance, I ran one for years and sold it two years ago....they are Z-28 clone design and still around.. Correct thermostat and oil fill tube mounting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDELBROCK-VI...item4b0e7ab6ef

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-283-...item1c77a7eced

You may just want to consider a GM crate motor instead of cobbling together a bunch of disparate mods. That EFI alone will cost you several thousand, more, if you run into problems with it... My C3BX shown below.

Last edited by DZAUTO; 01-08-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:04 PM
Swept57
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 82 Posts

Can you run the PCV off the filler tube? I am at a swap meet and I can pickup aC3BX for 50 right now.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:18 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by alexandervdr
.... The 2101 does not have the 'hot slot' (I mistakenly named it a heat cross over, those are there) for example, nor does it have provision for an oil fill tube.

According to Edelbrock's web site and pictures it DOES have provision for an oil filler tube. There's a flat spot where a hole can be drilled.

As for the hot slot, I don't think any of the factory aluminum manifolds had them. Higher heat conductivity rendered it unnecessary with aluminum manifolds.

Quick Reply: [C2] What aluminum intake to run?