C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

(OT) do they make car seats that fit mid years?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 08:07 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Keith,

Congratulations to you & your wife. You're just turning the page in a new chapter in your lives! ENJOY that ride!

All the best to you & yours!

Regards,

Jim & Mary
In God We Trust!
Old 01-11-2017, 08:18 PM
ILBMF
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts

Good luck Keith

I take my grandkids in one of the fast cars just down the street for a mile or 2 and they love it. We live way out in the sticks and not much worry
Old 01-11-2017, 08:37 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,339 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
the wife and I would like to thank you all. the car seat is sort of tongue and check comment. I don't think I will be putting a infant into a classic car. as much as I would love to take the family in my Chevelle it might have to wait. but we will see. its going to be a learning curve for sure
They need to be rewarded with a ride for helping out, so be prepared... the opportunities will pass you faster than a blown big-block on nitro

Old 01-12-2017, 04:24 AM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Default Congratulations!

FANTASTIC NEWS Keith.
Congratulations to you and your wife!

Hopefully your wife won't mind you hanging out at Carlisle while she's delivering this August...
Or hey, maybe she'll have the baby right on the funfield!
Wouldn't THAT be something!
I'm sure there's lots of medical help around!

However timing works its way out, I'm certain you're going to make a fine Dad and your wife an awesome Mom. While big drives are probably not a good idea until they reach booster seat size, it's going to be impossible to keep the kid(s?) out of the classic car... and vice-versa!

Our very best to you both!
Enjoy this next stage in your lives together!
People will tell you kids grow too fast, and they're right! The next 10 years will FLY so treasure every moment, the good and the bad!

Old 01-12-2017, 07:44 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

the wife and I would like to thank you all. the car seat is sort of tongue and check comment. I don't think I will be putting a infant into a classic car. as much as I would love to take the family in my Chevelle it might have to wait. but we will see. its going to be a learning curve for sure
Correct answer. Love the cars but they're just not up to snuff competing in today's traffic with the SUVs, big trucks and distracted idiots. I've driven my daughter and grand daughter through the Old Town cruise at 10mph and, until my grand daughter got older (now 10 - where does the freakin' time go!)...a run around the subdivision was it!

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 01-12-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:37 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

This could almost go to a PR&C level quickly. I'll say that a car infant carrier, rear facing, makes for the safest ride you will ever have in any car- ever. If you think an infant shouldn't ride in an old car then an older child in a car seat or booster REALLY should not (and neither should any of us- think about that!).
Old 01-12-2017, 08:59 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

[QUOTE=Frankie the Fink;1593849205]Correct answer. Love the cars but they're just not up to snuff competing in today's traffic with the SUVs, big trucks and distracted idiots. I've driven my daughter and grand daughter through the Old Town cruise at 10mph and, until my grand daughter got older (now 10 - where does the freakin' time go!)...a run around the subdivision was it!

Good advice!
On the other end of the spectrum, when I take my soon to be 90 years old father for a spin, (loves the cars and coffee mornings) he gets pissed off when I wont put my foot heavy into it. Seriously.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:01 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB
This could almost go to a PR&C level quickly. I'll say that a car infant carrier, rear facing, makes for the safest ride you will ever have in any car- ever. If you think an infant shouldn't ride in an old car then an older child in a car seat or booster REALLY should not (and neither should any of us- think about that!).
I won't agree with that Benton, but every parent/grandparent has to make their own decisions
Old 01-12-2017, 09:17 AM
jimh_1962
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 444 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Congrats!

Someday, your little one will be old enough to take the wheel!

This was my son's first drive yesterday:

Last edited by jimh_1962; 01-12-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:40 AM
ChattanoogaJSB
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 875 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink
I won't agree with that Benton, but every parent/grandparent has to make their own decisions

and if it bears clarifying- and I'm not sure that it matters- I'm NOT saying that a rear facing infant carrier in a c2 is safer - or even as safe- than in anything modern. Obvious the modern car is much safer, I'm only says if that such carriers are safer than any conventional seating position in any given car, for protection of limbs, neck injuries, etc.. It would seem- to me- that if you won't put your 6 month old in your old Corvette you sure have no business putting a 7 year old in one. And if you follow that thinking up the chain, the darn things are such death traps that no person should be allowed to ride in one without signing a waiver that they've reached the age of majority and accept the risk.

I run the risk of good friends thinking I'm trying to start and argument- and I'm not. And I know Frankie is not. I will now out of this topic now to the best of my ability. I also again congratulate Keith since kids are awesome and his news is the real point of the thread.

Benton
Old 01-12-2017, 02:14 PM
63 340HP
Team Owner

Received 2,339 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by ;
Correct answer. Love the cars but they're just not up to snuff competing in today's traffic with the SUVs, big trucks and distracted idiots. I've driven my daughter and grand daughter through the Old Town cruise at 10mph and, until my grand daughter got older (now 10 - where does the freakin' time go!)...a run around the subdivision was it!

Good advice!
On the other end of the spectrum, when I take my soon to be 90 years old father for a spin, (loves the cars and coffee mornings) he gets pissed off when I wont put my foot heavy into it. Seriously.

The cars can compete, and experienced drivers can compete, but the increased prevalence of "idiot drivers" who have no respect for other drivers or cannot speak the language of road rules is a valid concern. "Idiot drivers" are also beyond our control. What we control is our driving stye and conduct. The risks we take when we are alone in the car, with our conduct, are not the same risks we take with passengers.

I expect my father was much like yours. Growing up I almost never experienced him exhibiting conduct of excessive speeding or risky driving. I knew he drag raced a 40' ****** when he was young, but family drives were always sedate affairs. When the Greyhound bus passes you on I-40, there is not much drive excitement to brag about when you get home.

When I purchased my GTO in High School I did what most kids did, tune ups and flogging down back roads. When the opportunity came up for a long drive with my Dad in my car I was nervous and sedate driving at 55 mph, when my Dad looked over and said, "we don't have all day to get there, kick this thing in the ***." I crept up to 65 or 70 and he just said, "keep it going." He followed up, "I have taken every car and truck at home up to it's fastest speed, including this one, keep it under a hundred or where you are comfortable. It will run past 130." I ran 75-80 for an hour or so before he said to pull over and let him drive. He ran the car up to 90 and held it there for another hour, where we stopped for gas at the Arizona State line and swapped driving chores. We made it to El Paso that night, and San Antonio the next afternoon.

My Dad never came to watch me race, but when riding in a car (to get his opinion of a problem or repair when an open road section appeared), he would encourage a more spirited test.

When my kids were in baby seats, I drove like a Cabbie with a sleeping customer in back who guaranteed payment regardless of how long it took to arrive. A slow spin up to 6000 rpm in 2nd, when it was safe, was a treat. A sheepskin tucked in the seat helped keep them snug and tight. Control what you can, but don't exclude them from the joy provided by this hobby.

Last edited by 63 340HP; 01-12-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:45 PM
bcwaller
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

If you don't mind making modifications you can figure it out. My Corvette was not operational when my daughter was that age, but my Chevelle was my daily driver from before she was born.

The rear facing seats are no problem. When they go front facing it gets harder, and when they get to boosters you need a shoulder harness for sure. I bought a 2" four point harness from Crowe Enterprizes (I think this one: http://www.parts123.com/parts123/dyn...71a&ukey=AAAMF) and hardware to mount the shoulder in the trunk of the Chevelle with an eye bolt and fat washers. This worked really well and lasted for years.

Now that she is 17, she sits in the front seat...
Old 01-13-2017, 06:58 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

our son's first corvette ride was new 66 450 hp 427. no car seat mom held him in her arms coming home from the hospital
Attached Images  

Last edited by PAmotorman; 01-13-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:14 PM
GRipp 73
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Kids will change your life forever! I can't say I put an infant in the Corvette, but I have put the toddler in! May not be a C2, but C3's aren't too different are they?

Old 01-16-2017, 09:50 PM
Oaker57
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

You can see by his back he is ready for the adult shoulder harness now.[/QUOTE]

Good looking Ladd Benton. I hope you weren't going too fast while driving and taking pictures...... You can always tell the wife it was one of those fake backgrounds to make it look like you were whizzing along......

Quick Reply: (OT) do they make car seats that fit mid years?