C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

learning to drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 05:04 PM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Railroadman
How times have changed! "Back then" an automatic was very un-cool. It was better than no car at all, but was considered sort of sissy.
I guess it depends on how far "back then" is/was... it my dim memory bank, the family cars in my neighborhood were mostly sticks; only the "well-off" neighbors had automatics. Those cars were considered upper-end.

Later though, I agree, the four on the floor cars were the "hot" cars.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:00 PM
Gene jockey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default learning to drive

Originally Posted by jimh_1962
Yesterday, I surprised my 16 year old son by letting him drive around in an industrial park. Last December, he just got his learner permit. He has not driven that much since mostly raining and early sunsets. It was fun for him since he has driven his 66 1 ton dually up and down a dirt road for comparison.

Overall he did well. He did not know how far to let the clutch out before the gears would grab. His shifting needs some work. I think he was not used to the shifting gate nor the clutch.
The most he got up to was 3rd gear. This was something I was looking forward to doing for quite some time.

Anyone else taught someone to drive in their corvette?
I attempted to teach my wife to drive my 63 vert (base engine) in the stadium parking lot. She never did get the hang of engaging the clutch. She really didn't want to learn to drive, and only got a license at 40 when the babies arrived. She still hates to drive...
Old 01-20-2017, 01:12 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

In driver's education class in high school in the '70's, we were taught to drive with simulator booths that were '3 on the tree'. The emphasis was to get it in high gear asap to save fuel and to be easy on the equipment. We did hand signals, too. There were still a fair amount of vehicles on the road at that time with 3 speed on the column shifting, mainly pickups.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:47 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Taught my ex to drive stick in my 1964 SS Impala 409/400 with a short Hurst shifter. My daughter, like me, was born with a 4-speed shifter in her hand, amazing.

Quick Reply: learning to drive